I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM

I got the hell out of BBV and don't regret my decision for a minute. Being gone only confirms how screwed up and whacked Blockbuster truly is. Without a doubt it is far and away the most employee unfriendly environment I've ever worked in. Thank god I only spent 6 months of my life at Blockbuster. I haven't been back since and working there left such a bad taste in my mouth, I doubt I'll ever return even as a customer. The economy may be in the tank, but there are still other jobs out there.
Unread September 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by need answers View Post
I got the hell out of BBV and don't regret my decision for a minute. Being gone only confirms how screwed up and whacked Blockbuster truly is. Without a doubt it is far and away the most employee unfriendly environment I've ever worked in. Thank god I only spent 6 months of my life at Blockbuster. I haven't been back since and working there left such a bad taste in my mouth, I doubt I'll ever return even as a customer. The economy may be in the tank, but there are still other jobs out there.
No love lost there..
Happens when you use your tongue the wrong way.
The top Poster!
Unread September 28th, 2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need answers View Post
I'll have to second that. I have never had a job before where so little consideration was given to employee time, and most managers I worked with had this might makes right mentality that I found to be archaic. I also temporarily worked under managers at different stores that I found to be great at dealing with employees, so I don't think EVERY BB is flawed in this way, but I do have to say I had much the same experience as NA.
Unread September 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
No love lost there..
Happens when you use your tongue the wrong way.
Good thing I use my tongue all the right ways
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread September 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
IHBB GOD

grossssssssssssssssssssss
Unread September 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to SL_600
Why did I leave BBV? (Insert idiotic, hair-brained, money losing scheme that shifted focus from customer service to browbeating customers every other week while threatening employees with separation for not meeting outlandish sales goals even though corporate miscues were both the reason hella capital was needed and the reason it was harder to make it, here)

How did I leave BBV? Researched companies that were hiring, sent out resumes, filled out job applications, and went on interviews. Chose the company that made the best offer and I was out.

What is my new job? I work for a company that has been in this community for almost 40 years, building gi-normous electrical switchboards. The kind that power your local Walmart, hospitals, schools, businesses, etc.

What types of jobs did I look for? As a rule, fast food is a last resort, where I'm about to be homeless and it's the only job available option. If I can help it, retail is now going on that list. I have a long history of work in many different fields. I just wanted to be someplace that I could see myself in 20 or so years, retiring with a good Retirement Savings Plan.

Did I stay with it? Yes!

Do I enjoy working there? Very much so. I make a very good hourly salary; overtime is plentiful and even encouraged. Sundays are double time and holidays are paid at triple time. And oh yeah.... NO CUSTOMERS!!1!

Is it easier? Again I will mention that I don't deal with customers. I have my own work bay where I can do my job at my own pace. I don't have to meet any kind of daily quota because the 2nd shift can pick up where I left off. There's a recently remodeled wellness gym with two personal trainers, various parties, recognitions, give-a-ways, sponsored programs for the community.... Most importantly, I'm treated like an adult.

WWGD ....What Would Gord Do?
Unread October 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I left because my store was mostly obliterated by LP during the big "Bottle Cap" fiasco of 2006. I kinda just walked out and never went back (to work). I still went in there all the time because I was good friends with the manager.

I delivered pizzas during the summer, but didn't work for the rest of the year. In the spring of 2007, I started teaching. I've been at the same school ever since, and the pay is MUCH better!

I love working with kids. I teach math to special and general ed students, so my job isn't as easy as it was at BBV. It is more rewarding and the pay is okay! I get paid to NOT work holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't work during Spring Break and I still get paid.

Two months off in the summer and still, they pay me! Most of all for me, it's just a more rewarding job.
Unread November 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM

I was fired!
Unread November 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrock View Post
I was fired!
Good for you!
The top Poster!
Unread November 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM

^^what was the "bottle cap fiasco"? or was it just something that happened at your store? I started at BB in December of 06 so I probably missed out on that!