I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by need answers View Post
So tonight I had a situation which is exactly what I've been talking about. There is this customer, a regular member who every time he comes into the store tries to pick up on me. He gives me "compliments", constantly asks me out, persistently asks for my email address or phone number. I've told him I'm HAPPILY married and even that does not stop him. I've told him in no uncertain terms to leave me alone.

Tonight as I was heading into the office, he follows me, calls me by name and gets much too close for my comfort and starts with his over-the-top flirtations. All the while I have two male CSR's on the clock extremely busy at the register and unaware of the situation.

If I had been alone in the store I know for a fact the situation would have escalated. So you all can tell me as paranoid and ridiculous as much as you want. I know for a fact I'm not and this would have definitely gotten out of hand had I been in the store alone.

you know what, someone else mentioned it in an earlier post, but i am going to bring it up again, just because its a good example.

you don't want to work alone because you, being a woman, find yourself to be an easy target. You don't want to work alone because you get hit on....

in my district of 15 stores, there are 8 female store managers. of the 8 of us, 7 of us run moderate to low volume stores, so, we work alone. alot. and when we bitch about working alone, its because we cant get anything done, its not because we don't feel safe. as a side note, 5 of the 8 females, myself included, are single mom's. So, don't make it a female thing. Don't make it a blockbuster thing, because its not. this is indicative of the type of person you are.

The world is a scary place. period. there are creepy people crawling up the walls all over the place. the trick is to deal with them and move on. I have a customer, very much so like the one you described. he drives me nuts. But i have learned how to deal with him. And if there were ever a time he went over the line, i am confident with myself enough to know how to deal with him.

Like zoo said, blockbuster has been this way for 15 years, and will continue to be for another 15. If you don't want to work by yourself, for whatever reason, you need to own that. don't place blame on the company.

and no, low volume stores don't "wash". they close. we used to have 16 stores. the last one closed in june because it had 1600 actives, was in the hole 30 grand so far for the year.

I am sorry that this is how you feel. and that kind of fear cant be fixed. but, that is something only you can decided. If you honestly feel your person is in danger every time you work alone, then perhaps this retail company is not the one you should be working for. And thats ok. I am not judging you by any means, i just want you to understand where WE are coming from.

But there ARE things you can do to make yourself feel more safe. Do exactly as the opening procedures call for. Mix it up. There are days i will get there right at 9. sometimes earlier, sometimes later. There are days i go to the bank as soon as the deposits ready, and there are days i go later. Sometimes i get coffee on my way to the store, sometimes i go after i go to the bank. Robberys are planned. They look for patterns. and if you constantly change it up, they give up.
also, keep your phone on you. I will call my dad, or a friend or something when i am on my way to the bank, just to chat or whatever.
Worst case scenario...most cell phones have GPS now, turn yours on, that way if worst comes to worse, you hit 911 and throw your phone in a drawer.

if you like your job, and you are good at what you do, then you can find away to make it work, but if you can't, then do yourself the favor, get your piece of mind with employment elsewhere.

Last edited by sar94pga; August 2nd, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sar94pga For This Useful Post:
zooworker (August 2nd, 2008)
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar94pga View Post
Sometimes i get coffee on my way to the store, sometimes i go after i go to the bank.
So correct me if I am wrong Sar, but did you just admit to breaking LP policies regarding no stops to or from the bank?

FOR SHAME!

[SIGPIC]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/6/Advent_Children_Fan.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koron View Post
So correct me if I am wrong Sar, but did you just admit to breaking LP policies regarding no stops to or from the bank?

FOR SHAME!

hahahahahahah, note i said SOMETIMES. lol
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:

So, don't make it a female thing. Don't make it a blockbuster thing, because its not. this is indicative of the type of person you are.

I have a customer, very much so like the one you described. he drives me nuts. But i have learned how to deal with him. And if there were ever a time he went over the line, i am confident with myself enough to know how to deal with him.

Like zoo said, blockbuster has been this way for 15 years, and will continue to be for another 15. If you don't want to work by yourself, for whatever reason, you need to own that. don't place blame on the company.
It is a Blockbuster thing due to lack of having a policy in place. Who else do you place the blame on? It is not indicative of the type of person I am, so don't place the blame on me; I don't have to "own" anything.....the responsibility is placed solely on Blockbuster for allowing this in the first place. Do you also say that women who are raped should take responsibility and "own it"...I mean seriously, why is the rapist to blame...he's been doing it for 15 years!

I know how to deal with customers too and I have a lot of confidence in myself, but dealing with someone who clearly has problems and has erratic behavior shows his unpredictable nature. Brazenly coming into the office with a store full of customers and two male CSR's shows his aggression and without a doubt he crossed the line. I dealt with the situation just fine, I came out of it unharmed.......BUT I'm certain had I been alone in the store, the outcome would have definitely been different....and I'd have no one else to blame but myself......according to what you say anyway.
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It is a Blockbuster thing due to lack of having a policy in place.
They have a policy in place. That policy states that you get a certain number of labour hours to use based on your transactions. If you're having an issue with one person making you uncomfortable I suggest you speak with your DL and have him banned from your store. I would think that entering your office would be grounds for that. I know you're new to the company but your DL should support you in this. He/she doesn't want you to be unsafe.

That being said, many companies have single coverage during slow times. If you can't do it then find something else. You're clearly not comfortable with it so why stay?

For the record, while I was working one day, alone, the hotel next to me, with over 20 employees on duty, was held up.
sar94pga (August 3rd, 2008)
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
It is a Blockbuster thing due to lack of having a policy in place. Who else do you place the blame on? It is not indicative of the type of person I am, so don't place the blame on me; I don't have to "own" anything.....the responsibility is placed solely on Blockbuster for allowing this in the first place. Do you also say that women who are raped should take responsibility and "own it"...I mean seriously, why is the rapist to blame...he's been doing it for 15 years!

I know how to deal with customers too and I have a lot of confidence in myself, but dealing with someone who clearly has problems and has erratic behavior shows his unpredictable nature. Brazenly coming into the office with a store full of customers and two male CSR's shows his aggression and without a doubt he crossed the line. I dealt with the situation just fine, I came out of it unharmed.......BUT I'm certain had I been alone in the store, the outcome would have definitely been different....and I'd have no one else to blame but myself......according to what you say anyway.
are you really comparing blockbuster's labor policy to a rapist? really?
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
are you really comparing blockbuster's labor policy to a rapist? really?
Of course not, I was merely showing what a ridiculous statement you made by saying it's not a Blockbuster thing or female thing and I shouldn't blame Blockbuster. Why the hell not? Not only do they have an attitude of indifference, so do most of the employees who post on this thread.

Oh and getoffmybeach, I've told my DL and of course I am being supported. But, morale support does absolutely nothing when it comes to the company taking reasonable measures to insure your safety. Obviously Blockbuster is not doing that.
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Of course not, I was merely showing what a ridiculous statement you made by saying it's not a Blockbuster thing or female thing and I shouldn't blame Blockbuster. Why the hell not? Not only do they have an attitude of indifference, so do most of the employees who post on this thread.
just because i find you extremely entertaining, i am going to respond to this.

AS a rape victim, i can easily say, that no, it was not my fault, and no i don't "own" that.

Also, as a rape victim, i had to look inside myself, and figure out how to overcome it to try to have a normal life. this includes having and maintaining a job that requires me to work alone.

So, no, its not a blockbuster thing, i didn't get raped at work. Its not a female thing. Its personal preference. i LOVE my job, and i do what i do.

And as for the indifferent attitude on this forum, you are right. We are indifferent because we are used to it. And its just not an issue anymore. So
you can keep making a case for your point, but it is clear you are not getting anymore sympathy here. Like everyone else, including myself has said, if you don't like it, then leave. because it isn't going to change.
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
It is a Blockbuster thing due to lack of having a policy in place. Who else do you place the blame on? It is not indicative of the type of person I am, so don't place the blame on me; I don't have to "own" anything.....the responsibility is placed solely on Blockbuster for allowing this in the first place. .
The blame is on you because you are the one who has a problem with it, Blockbuster doesn't haven a problem and as clearly stated by the rest of us on here we don't have a problem either. Only you have a problem so how can that be your employers fault??? Incidently I don't think any of us are saying that if you were robbed/attacked whilst working alone it would be your fault that it happened, it would be the robber/attackers fault, not yours, not blockbusters but the person who commited the crime.

I have staff who are unhappy with the idea of working late night alone, luckily I have the luxury of never having to make them do that, however when I told my DM this I was told that it's part of the job, if they are not prepared to do it then they will have to be let go.

The policy isn't going to change, so either you accept it or you resign stating that you disagree with the lone working policy.

Last edited by JackSM; August 3rd, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackSM For This Useful Post:
getoffmybeach (August 4th, 2008), sar94pga (August 3rd, 2008), zooworker (August 3rd, 2008)
Unread August 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
But, morale support does absolutely nothing when it comes to the company taking reasonable measures to insure your safety. Obviously Blockbuster is not doing that.
I am, and others are tired of your whinning about working alone. Follow the advice below. GET ANOTHER JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
So
you can keep making a case for your point, but it is clear you are not getting anymore sympathy here. Like everyone else, including myself has said, if you don't like it, then leave. because it isn't going to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSM View Post
The policy isn't going to change, so either you accept it or you resign stating that you disagree with the lone working policy.
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
getoffmybeach (August 4th, 2008)