I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > News

Unread August 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
IHBB Freak

Post Bankruptcy Coming Next Month

Of course we all knew it was coming soon, but it looks like September will indeed be the month. So those of you still on the sinking ship, be prepared!

Blockbuster Is Said Likely to Get One-Month Reprieve on Debt

By Jonathan Keehner, Jeffrey McCracken and Ronald Grover - Aug 6, 2010 2:15 PM MT

Blockbuster Inc. will probably receive a one-month reprieve from creditors next week so the video-rental chain can prepare for a possible bankruptcy filing in September, three people with knowledge of the matter said.

Lenders are pushing for a pre-packaged bankruptcy in exchange for the 30-day extension on debt repayment, said the people, who declined to be identified because the negotiations are private. Blockbuster is reaching out to companies about buying assets in or out of bankruptcy, one of the people said.

“We’ve been transparent throughout this process about the potential sales or licensing of certain international operating assets,” Patricia Sullivan, a Blockbuster spokeswoman, said in an e-mailed statement. “These discussions are ongoing.”

The company continues to engage in “productive talks” with lenders, Sullivan said.

Blockbuster’s only option may be filing for a Chapter 11 restructuring, said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Los Angeles-based Wedbush Securities Inc. who rates the stock “neutral.”

“The debt is killing them,” Pachter said today in a telephone interview. “They have to wipe the slate clean and get out from under $100 million or more of interest payments.”

The company’s main asset is its inventory of DVDs and the name, which Pachter valued at “tens of millions of dollars.”

NCR Corp. is licensing the Blockbuster moniker for use in video vending machines it’s installing throughout the U.S. The company, based in Duluth, Georgia, has more than 6,500 kiosks, primarily under the Blockbuster Express brand, according to a news release last month.

Losing to Competitors

Bondholders agreed last month to let Dallas-based Blockbuster defer the interest and principal on senior secured notes until Aug. 13. The company has lost about $1 billion during the past three years on competition from Netflix Inc.’s subscription service and Coinstar Inc.’s Redbox DVD machines.

Blockbuster fell 2 cents, or 9.1 percent, to 17 cents at 3:59 p.m. New York time in over-the-counter trading. The shares have dropped 75 percent this year. The company’s $630 million of 11.75 percent notes due in 2014 last traded July 28 at 66.5 cents on the dollar, according to Trace, the bond-price reporting system of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.

Blockbuster’s secured bondholders hired Houlihan Lokey Howard & Zukin in March to advise them on the video retailer, people with knowledge of the move said at the time. Blockbuster is being advised by Rothschild and Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...ankruptcy.html

Unread August 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM
IHBB GOD

Thumbs up

Good info thanks for the update, thought they would do something to hold it off just a bit longer

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread August 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM

So much for getting back in the game

time to update that resume on Careerbuilder and Monster
Unread August 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
IHBB Freak

going bankrupt isnt exactly a bad thing, im glad u are happy to see us losing jobs if that is possible flant..appreciate it..
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread August 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM

I've been hearing people speculate about bankrupcy for 6 years now, I'll believe it when it happens.
Unread August 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
IHBB GOD

Everyone says this crap. I'll wait tell it actually happens.
Unread August 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
Everyone says this crap. I'll wait tell it actually happens.
#1 exactly
#2 buisness as usual for we casual employees
#3 bankruptcy doesnt mean stores shut down tomorrow!
Unread August 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlow71 View Post
#1 exactly
#2 buisness as usual for we casual employees
#3 bankruptcy doesnt mean stores shut down tomorrow!
Yes, yes, and yes.

I'm thinking that at some point, bankruptcy is pretty close to a sure thing, with that big steaming pile of debt that we carry. But I'm not holding my breath as to when it will happen.
My only fear (when it does happen), is of the exponential increase of people asking if we are closing.
Unread August 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
going bankrupt isnt exactly a bad thing, im glad u are happy to see us losing jobs if that is possible flant..appreciate it..
I would like you to point out where I said anything close to that, or that I hope all you still have jobs suffer. Never have I said anything close to that statement, i even said good luck and hope you all find better jobs.

If its the latter statement, it ment to say go find something better before the ship sinks. Hell even starbucks is hiring and they treat the workers 10 times better then cockbuster. But if you want to stay on a sinking ship and believe everything is good thats your problem.
Unread August 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
IHBB Freak

just want to point out if u werent let go, ud probably still be working there too
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.