Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > I Hate Blockbuster > News

Unread November 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM

BlockBuster's New Smoke & Mirrors Trick

AP
Blockbuster 3Q Loss Widens, Plans Cuts
Thursday November 1, 9:02 am ET
Blockbuster 3rd-Quarter Loss Widens As Company Plans Job Cuts

Check out the last sentence
DALLAS (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc.'s third-quarter loss widened, partly on severance and lease termination costs, and the movie-rental company said it is planning job cuts to boost profitability.
Blockbuster reported a loss after preferred dividends of $37.8 million, or 20 cents per share, compared with a loss of $27.5 million, or 15 cents per share, in the prior year.

Loss from continuing operations grew to $34.8 million, or 20 cents per share, from a loss of $23 million, or 14 cents per share last year.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial predicted a loss of 18 cents per share. Analysts' estimates typically exclude one-time items.

The current quarter's results included $9.6 million, or 5 cents per share, in severance and lease termination costs.

Quarterly revenue dropped 5 percent to $1.24 billion.

Consensus estimates put sales at $1.28 billion.

The company said it has implemented a plan to lower yearly overhead costs by about $45 million through job cuts and the elimination of operational redundancies. Blockbuster is also considering outsourcing some corporate functions.

The company said it plans to report total membership numbers in the future rather than just its online subscriber count.
Unread November 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM
IHBB GOD

Can't wait to see how this is spun

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread November 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to videoslave23
More job cuts? Whose next, district managers?
Unread November 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheFacts View Post
The company said it plans to report total membership numbers in the future rather than just its online subscriber count.

This is awesome. Are they just doing active members or absolutely everybody that has walked through the door???

"Blockbuster, now with 250 MILLION subscribers!"

marc
Unread November 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
This is awesome. Are they just doing active members or absolutely everybody that has walked through the door???

"Blockbuster, now with 250 MILLION subscribers!"

marc
We'll have signs like the McDonald's sign that says "Over one bajillion served"
Unread November 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheFacts View Post

The company said it has implemented a plan to lower yearly overhead costs by about $45 million through job cuts and the elimination of operational redundancies.
Can you say "closing alone" and "self check-out"?

Actually my hope is that they just eliminate all Regions (RDOs and all regional employees). Seriously, what DO these guys do besides parrot the Zone VPs and tour stores? They are useless.
Unread November 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
IHBB GOD

They later reported subscriber loss[story below].. but it was an interesting spin in earlier reports. Stock hit a 30 day low of 4.94 and its down to 4.82 in after hours trading.

Not sure what jobs they would outsource but one of the 7-11 hires is a former ADP exec, which was common information from newswire reports. ADP outsources Payroll and HR for companies. Build your own conclusions.

I actually still have faith Keyes knows what he is doing. The guy proved he had ability when 7-11 was bucking the bankruptcy bug. I might or might not be personally happy with some of the moves but still hes a proven leader and deserves as much or more than anyone to give his best shot at transformation. Personally for all my friends and every employee I know here and elsewhere, I'd love to see this end in success.

Quote:
While the top-line results were disappointing, the main concern raised by the report was Blockbuster's subscriber count for its online rental service. The service's subscriber count dropped to 3.1 million at the end of the third quarter from 3.6 million at the end of the second.

"The magnitude of the decline was surprising to many," says Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities.

Last edited by BBVcasualposter; November 1st, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Unread November 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM

Say goodbye to being able to understand the people at computer support.
Unread November 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
IHBB GOD

Blockbuster should start taking donations.

Hollywood Video: "Would you like to purchase playguard, just 25 cents per rental, with all proceeds donated to the starlight children's foundation?"

Blockbuster: "Would you like to donate an additional 25 cents per rental to Blockbuster?"
Unread November 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM

Wink bye bye middle managers

keyes said that he was going to reduce the number of people between the store manager and ceo down to three (or maybe the store manager would only three people away from the ceo, which would indicate there would only be two people between the store manager and the ceo).

there have to be a bunch of middle managers that make a lot more money than a bunch of store clerks, which are essential in being the face the customer puts with the company. my guess is blockbuster is going to be cutting a lot of the fat in this area (needless middle managers for a company that is nearly bankrupt).