Unread April 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Netflix Shares Lose $1.1B After Q2 Outlook Miss

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...ook-miss-23782

Quote:
Netflix Shares Lose $1.1B After Q2 Outlook Miss
26 Apr, 2011 By: Erik Gruenwedel

Wall Street darling discovers the flipside of streaming expansion

Live by streaming. Die by streaming.

Netflix shares April 26 closed down more than 9% ($1.1 billion decline) after analysts voiced concerns over the online disc rental pioneer’s foreign expansion plans, streaming content acquisition costs and mounting competition.

The day after reporting strong quarterly gains in subscriber growth, revenue and net income, Netflix said it would lose up to $70 million in the second half of the year rolling out a second international streaming service — $20 million more than previously projected.

Netflix Canada, which launched last summer, posted a $12 million operating loss in the quarter. The company expects the service, with more than 800,000 subscribers, to become profitable by the third quarter.

Michael Pachter, analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles, lowered the boom, saying the service would accrue at least $500 million in streaming acquisition costs this year — far outspending comparable cost savings in reduced disc shipments and related handling costs.

Indeed, Pachter, who carries an “underperform” rating on Netflix’s stock, said that when factoring in 40% reduction ($200 million) in postage fees and $200 million reduction in catalog disc title purchases over the next two years, Netflix will still spend $1.5 billion in total net distribution and content costs through 2012.

He said the core Netflix subscriber continues to rent two-to-three discs per month.

“We think it is highly likely that our estimated $1.975 billion in streaming spending [through 2012] will prove quite low, with the potential that streaming content costs would rise sufficiently to erase much of the gains that Netflix bulls expect in the future,” Pachter wrote in a note.

The analyst also expressed concern regarding increased competition from Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Google TV, Apple, and Dish/Blockbuster — all who could engage in a bidding war for digital content. Pachter said a bidder could up negotiations by offering rev-share deals on par with the 60% paid by cable VOD or 70% paid by iTunes.

“Should the price of content increase beyond 2012 and subscription prices come under pressure, we could conceivably see Netflix earnings growth stall, and the quality of its content may suffer,” Pachter wrote.

Analyst Ralph Schackart with William Blair & Co. in Chicago said Netflix’s higher churn rate (3.9%) for streaming compared with rental disc (3.8%) underscored the fickleness of new subscribers seeking instant gratification.

Churn is the number of paying subscribers who opt out of the service during a fiscal quarter. Netflix said that beginning in 2012, it would only report net subscriber gains, subscriber-acquisition costs and churn.

“We believe that shares reflect high investor expectations but may not reflect the potential increased risks associated with studios experimenting with new release windows, potential bandwidth caps and an increase in digital competition,” Schackart wrote in a note.

Tony Wible, analyst with Janney Montgomery Scott in New York, told Bloomberg TV Netflix’s “headwinds” in expansion and content licensing are mounting. He downgraded his rating on Netflix shares to “sell” from “neutral.”

Eric Wold, research director with Merriman Capital in San Francisco, remained upbeat on Netflix, saying it would be difficult for competitors to replicate Netflix's content selection and CE device penetration in either a profitable manner (without heavy loss-leading discounting) or with an offering to attract away Netflix subscribers.

“Why would a Netflix subscriber switch to a competing product with less content even for a slightly lower price?” Wold asked in a note. That said, he lowered his earnings estimates for Netflix for fiscal 2011 and 2012.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
Unread April 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM
IHBB GOD

omg lol that is interesting!!
Unread April 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
omg lol that is interesting!!
I thought everyone could use a humorous moment.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
Unread April 30th, 2011, 05:54 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockbusterLuvsU View Post
I thought everyone could use a humorous moment.
lol yeah! I'm surprise not anyone is posting
Unread April 30th, 2011, 06:37 PM
IHBB Freak

because it isnt bad news about blockbuster...and justthefacts didnt post it
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread May 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM

If Blockbuster can't seem to die while it has all the cards stacked against it, consistently misses every golden opportunity, and constantly makes horrible business decisions inside and out - I can't imagine what it would take to bring down Netflix.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (May 1st, 2011), DavidNewlySL (May 1st, 2011)
Unread May 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by itirnitii View Post
If Blockbuster can't seem to die while it has all the cards stacked against it, consistently misses every golden opportunity, and constantly makes horrible business decisions inside and out - I can't imagine what it would take to bring down Netflix.
World war 5

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread May 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by itirnitii View Post
Roger Dunlap and Jim Keyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (May 2nd, 2011), Baby Firefly (May 1st, 2011), orbitdvd (May 1st, 2011), OzMan (May 10th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (May 2nd, 2011), Woodstock (May 1st, 2011)
Unread May 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Head View Post
World war 5
lol what? what happen in World War 4?
Unread May 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
lol what? what happen in World War 4?
Its so big it skips over the other ones

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
BlockbusterLuvsU (May 2nd, 2011), HelloItsMeMOM (May 1st, 2011)