I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kOre View Post
I think some of you kool aid drinkers are confused about what is going on here. The consortium of companies offering to buy out Blockbuster is not looking to make an attempt to revive the company; it is a group of BBs largest creditors that want their money NOW. The consortium made a stalking horse bid hoping that it will spark interest from other companies to buy BB so they can get some of the money they invested into the company back. If no one else bids on the company, the consortium will purchase it and liquidate the company to get every penny they can out of it!
EXACTLY!!!!! I don't understand how people can see it otherwise
Unread February 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_me_ASM69 View Post
EXACTLY!!!!! I don't understand how people can see it otherwise
Because some of us would like to think that we'll still have a job in a month.

And some of us are adaptable and have learned to make the best of a crappy situation.

I'm not saying bad stuff isn't going to happen, but if Blockbuster suffers, so do the studios. Hollywood can't run on $9 a month/$1 a movie.

But if Blockbuster does shut down, including online and on demand, then i will bow to the glory of the all seeing ihbb message board and all of their wisdom.
Unread February 27th, 2011, 07:33 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeansforALL View Post
I'm not saying bad stuff isn't going to happen, but if Blockbuster suffers, so do the studios. Hollywood can't run on $9 a month/$1 a movie.
I think this is what helped the company for the last couple of years; Hollywood wouldn't let us die, just like Jason or Freddie, because we were too profitable to them despite our general obsolescence.

BUT... now that we're facing certain death without or without their propping, and we owe each of them MILLIONS, I think Hollywood is the one that will be our ultimate undoing by refusing to send dvds until accounts are settled. The stores cannot survive on renting only The Notebook and Memento for 2.99 and candy bundles.

I am puzzled by certain posters who keep talking about what Blockbuster stores will be like after the inevitable liquidation. Seriously?
Unread February 27th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
I think this is what helped the company for the last couple of years; Hollywood wouldn't let us die, just like Jason or Freddie, because we were too profitable to them despite our general obsolescence.

BUT... now that we're facing certain death without or without their propping, and we owe each of them MILLIONS, I think Hollywood is the one that will be our ultimate undoing by refusing to send dvds until accounts are settled. The stores cannot survive on renting only The Notebook and Memento for 2.99 and candy bundles.

I am puzzled by certain posters who keep talking about what Blockbuster stores will be like after the inevitable liquidation. Seriously?
...and we might not have owed the companies MILLIONS if BB hadn't foolishly ordered too many copies of stuff that wasn't gonna rent and too few copies of stuff that would. I sometimes think they should have let each store do their own ordering because we know our customers a little bit better than someone who has never been to our store.
Unread February 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM

I had seen on here recently that some of you that still work for BB have mentioned that of this week's big releases you got 127 Hours and Love & Other Drugs (Fox) but not Faster, Burlesque & SWAT. Did you get them in a shipment on Friday or are you still waiting for them? Just curious!
Unread February 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas R Miller View Post
I had seen on here recently that some of you that still work for BB have mentioned that of this week's big releases you got 127 Hours and Love & Other Drugs (Fox) but not Faster, Burlesque & SWAT. Did you get them in a shipment on Friday or are you still waiting for them? Just curious!
...as of Friday we had 2 copies of Burlesque on Blu Ray.....
Unread February 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
...and we might not have owed the companies MILLIONS if BB hadn't foolishly ordered too many copies of stuff that wasn't gonna rent and too few copies of stuff that would. I sometimes think they should have let each store do their own ordering because we know our customers a little bit better than someone who has never been to our store.
They didn't buy copies... they got shipped copies. Remember that most of the studios have Rev Share agreements with Blockbuster. They get paid per rent not per tape.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?" - II DUCE
Unread February 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockbusterstore482 View Post
They didn't buy copies... they got shipped copies. Remember that most of the studios have Rev Share agreements with Blockbuster. They get paid per rent not per tape.
So BB has NO say over what is shipped to them or how many copies?! I guess I don't understand how the business works...not trying to be sarcastic...just don't understand that reasoning..
Unread February 27th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
So BB has NO say over what is shipped to them or how many copies?! I guess I don't understand how the business works...not trying to be sarcastic...just don't understand that reasoning..

My choice of words is so I am not getting myself in trouble..

It is weird how it works. Yes, they have some say, but I am sure that they have contracts that include how many of each movie they have to buy. The goal from CEOs would be to not be out of stock on a movie, so they would base the copies on that. The more stores that closed, the more movies the other stores would have to take.

Here is a basic Rev share agreement that you could make with a company if you were opening up your own video store. This is not Blockbuster.

Studio Sends me 30 Copies of Donnie Darko. I pay $1.00 per movie up front and agree to take 2 copies of the movie "Shit Movie Part 4" . I pay the studio a fee for every time this movie goes out my door, even if I gave it away free. I agree not to sell it used for a certain period of time. The longer I keep the movie the less money the studio makes off it. Once I begin to sale Donnie Darko for lets say $16.99, the studio then gets a cut of the used price. The earlier I put it used the more money they get off of it. I am also allowed to send several copies of Donnie Darko back after lets say 8-12 Weeks with no charge. The studio gets lets say $2 bucks for every time I rent Donnie Darko and they get like $1 every time I rent "Shit Movie Part 4". That ensures I would have a lot of copies of Donnie Darko to rent.

Smaller video stores with less customers and deeper pockets could buy their movies. Instead of paying $30 up front for 30 Copies of Donnie Darko They pay $600 for their 30 Copies. They get to keep all the money from the rental, can sell it used at anytime and keep all the money. Now if they make a mistake and buy too many of a movie they thought would do good, then the are stuck with the product and out all that cash. That is what made Blockbuster so big, by doing Rev Share deals they were able to put 100 Copies of a good movie in 6000 stores with very little up front cash.

Hope this helps....just one more time the above reference has nothing to do with how BBV rev share works. This basic Rev share overview for a Mom and Pop store doing Rev Share.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?" - II DUCE
Unread February 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockbusterstore482 View Post
My choice of words is so I am not getting myself in trouble..

It is weird how it works. Yes, they have some say, but I am sure that they have contracts that include how many of each movie they have to buy. The goal from CEOs would be to not be out of stock on a movie, so they would base the copies on that. The more stores that closed, the more movies the other stores would have to take.

Here is a basic Rev share agreement that you could make with a company if you were opening up your own video store. This is not Blockbuster.

Studio Sends me 30 Copies of Donnie Darko. I pay $1.00 per movie up front and agree to take 2 copies of the movie "Shit Movie Part 4" . I pay the studio a fee for every time this movie goes out my door, even if I gave it away free. I agree not to sell it used for a certain period of time. The longer I keep the movie the less money the studio makes off it. Once I begin to sale Donnie Darko for lets say $16.99, the studio then gets a cut of the used price. The earlier I put it used the more money they get off of it. I am also allowed to send several copies of Donnie Darko back after lets say 8-12 Weeks with no charge. The studio gets lets say $2 bucks for every time I rent Donnie Darko and they get like $1 every time I rent "Shit Movie Part 4". That ensures I would have a lot of copies of Donnie Darko to rent.

Smaller video stores with less customers and deeper pockets could buy their movies. Instead of paying $30 up front for 30 Copies of Donnie Darko They pay $600 for their 30 Copies. They get to keep all the money from the rental, can sell it used at anytime and keep all the money. Now if they make a mistake and buy too many of a movie they thought would do good, then the are stuck with the product and out all that cash. That is what made Blockbuster so big, by doing Rev Share deals they were able to put 100 Copies of a good movie in 6000 stores with very little up front cash.

Hope this helps....just one more time the above reference has nothing to do with how BBV rev share works. This basic Rev share overview for a Mom and Pop store doing Rev Share.
...but it seems the only movies we get a lot of copies of are films that most people have never heard of or direct to video titles and the big movies we get like 43 or less copies. We got 100 copies of Brothers Bloom & Away We Go and they just sat there and didn't even sell when they became used, so how does a company make money that way?