I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Is dish intentionally trying to screw us?

Just looking at what's been going on with our stores lately. The sky high sales goals, the low copy depth, the fact that all our copies of Thor are going to be rented out for free with those coupons and the fact that you don't even see commercials for blockbuster on dish network tv! They are even threatening my sm and asm telling them unless we hit numbers their jobs are on the line.

I can't help but feel we are being shafted here anybody else?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarkusAurelias For This Useful Post:
D Money (September 12th, 2011), Darkfall28 (September 11th, 2011), inkedangel (September 11th, 2011), johnlow71 (September 12th, 2011), muthaflippin (September 14th, 2011), underemployed (September 14th, 2011)
Unread September 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Really sounds like things are going to continue as they are.

It also sounds like they are in the process of phasing out the stores. As has been discussed, DISH is going to use the stores as cash registers and essentially bleed you dry down to the penny. They want whatever cash they can get out of you ... and then are going to say "thanks" by phasing the stores out and keeping the brand alive by converting over to a completely online and digital streaming service.

I really wish everyone would get another job and just leave. At this point, I probably would rather go back to managing fast food (my very first job and what I did prior to Blockbuster) if I couldn't get anything better than put up with the stress of Blockbuster. It just isn't worth it.
Unread September 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM

I agree with everything posted here-ridiculous goals, nearly non-existent copy depth-I stopped telling people about the Thor coupon because we only got 13 in to rent, and an atmosphere of desperation about meeting your goals. My store was super busy tonight and did we make any money? NO...There's no way more than a handful of stores will make budget/TNR. Thinking we will get 400 passes this month is a joke-what will we have for them to rent?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glass Half Empty For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (September 11th, 2011), SL_600 (September 13th, 2011)
Unread September 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
I agree with everything posted here-ridiculous goals, nearly non-existent copy depth-I stopped telling people about the Thor coupon because we only got 13 in to rent, and an atmosphere of desperation about meeting your goals. My store was super busy tonight and did we make any money? NO...There's no way more than a handful of stores will make budget/TNR. Thinking we will get 400 passes this month is a joke-what will we have for them to rent?
My old store is probably going to hit 150 passes this week, so 400 isn't out of the question.
With this new budget thing, it was already at 150% for this when I stopped in today.
Unread September 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
IHBB Freak

So, the Thor coupons have an expiration date, right?

Maybe the idea there is to keep people from renting it from Redbox by thinking they'll get it free at some point during that time, but eventually the coupon will expire and the customer will have to pay to rent Thor from us. In the meantime, the customer is checking the store every day or so for Thor and, upon not finding it, paying to rent something else.

And then the customers will just magically forget that we screwed them over by making them wait two weeks to see the original movie they were after! Brilliant!

Last edited by Propoxy; September 12th, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Propoxy For This Useful Post:
Darkfall28 (September 11th, 2011), Glass Half Empty (September 12th, 2011), Hot Head (September 12th, 2011)
Unread September 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM

The only thing I can say is this: We hit budget first week of this period and will likely make it this week too.....However..... because we've done so many damn passes the last ten days I promise you that we don't have a prayer of making it next week and likely not for the period now. Only 100 or so stores made budget week 1 of the period according to Kelly so that means about 7 percent of the stores are at the goal. I'm not a rocket scientist but I can tell you that ain't good and it's not going to get better this period with the "All Thor, All Free, All the Time" plan and completely inadequate copy depth to meet this pass initiative. I saw the buy on Transformers and it's WAY too low considering the pass push and the games...... they better get much better depth on Gears of War, Rage, Fifa 12, NBA 2K12, Batman: Arkham City etc. because they screwed up BIG time on Dead Island this week. I got at least 60 phone calls about that this week and we lost a TON of money not having the right depth. The only way to make budget now is to do enough retail or prp (the higher price points move the needle much faster) to offset all the free in the rental area because it won't come from there. I feel like they're treating us like fucking Perseus on his quest here. New corporate memo:"Hey guys, now we're going to throw in some giant scorpions, a snake headed lady who can turn you into a block of granite, and a thousand foot monster with teeth the size of your bluray kiosk. They will alternate days at your stores. You can defeat all these death machines and make budget simply by selling more passes. Good luck."
Unread September 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusAurelias View Post
Just looking at what's been going on with our stores lately. The sky high sales goals, the low copy depth, the fact that all our copies of Thor are going to be rented out for free with those coupons and the fact that you don't even see commercials for blockbuster on dish network tv! They are even threatening my sm and asm telling them unless we hit numbers their jobs are on the line.

I can't help but feel we are being shafted here anybody else?
Yes! I have thought from day one of the acquisition that Dish was only interested in the Blockbuster name and the movie rights that Blockbuster has for its own digital download/streaming service. It is probably not a very risky prediction to say that the vast majority, if not all, of the stores will be closed upon the expiration of the store's current lease. If you are still with the company, do yourself a favor and don't wait until your store is closing to look elsewhere! Begin looking for other employment now while you still have a job!
Unread September 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM

DISH is just going to use Blockbuster stores as a pedestal to expand their own business -- then scrap it once they've bled out every avenue from their investment.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread September 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfall28 View Post
The only thing I can say is this: We hit budget first week of this period and will likely make it this week too.....However..... because we've done so many damn passes the last ten days I promise you that we don't have a prayer of making it next week and likely not for the period now. Only 100 or so stores made budget week 1 of the period according to Kelly so that means about 7 percent of the stores are at the goal. I'm not a rocket scientist but I can tell you that ain't good and it's not going to get better this period with the "All Thor, All Free, All the Time" plan and completely inadequate copy depth to meet this pass initiative. I saw the buy on Transformers and it's WAY too low considering the pass push and the games...... they better get much better depth on Gears of War, Rage, Fifa 12, NBA 2K12, Batman: Arkham City etc. because they screwed up BIG time on Dead Island this week. I got at least 60 phone calls about that this week and we lost a TON of money not having the right depth. The only way to make budget now is to do enough retail or prp (the higher price points move the needle much faster) to offset all the free in the rental area because it won't come from there. I feel like they're treating us like fucking Perseus on his quest here. New corporate memo:"Hey guys, now we're going to throw in some giant scorpions, a snake headed lady who can turn you into a block of granite, and a thousand foot monster with teeth the size of your bluray kiosk. They will alternate days at your stores. You can defeat all these death machines and make budget simply by selling more passes. Good luck."
But if you defeat them you get to marry Andromeda Seriously, yesterday was not a good one for my store selling passes. People either had it or another program, wanted more than 1 movie right now or were down with the .49 centers. Our TNR for Sunday was PATHETIC! The Thor coupons expire 11/14 I believe-just long enough for it to finally be in stock when everyone's coupon has expired.... Dead Island wasn't the "it" game at my store-1 customer returned it the next day saying it sucked. It's hard to keep the other new games in stock though when you only get 3 or so to rent out
Unread September 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
But if you defeat them you get to marry Andromeda Seriously, yesterday was not a good one for my store selling passes. People either had it or another program, wanted more than 1 movie right now or were down with the .49 centers. Our TNR for Sunday was PATHETIC! The Thor coupons expire 11/14 I believe-just long enough for it to finally be in stock when everyone's coupon has expired.... Dead Island wasn't the "it" game at my store-1 customer returned it the next day saying it sucked. It's hard to keep the other new games in stock though when you only get 3 or so to rent out
What is dead island about? Didn't you guys need to preorder it?

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.