I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Post Moving on up...to the east side...or so.

Well suffice to say that the topic title is for catching attention.

So since you are here, let me explain.
I've recently been offered a SL position.

Im wndering what is the pay rate, and also they said something about an interview with the DM, is this something I should prepare myself for.

BTW i've done all the classes for SL boring as hell.

Any info will do.
Thanks
-Kreen-Akrore
Unread July 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM

It's a 15% raise (in my region, at least). When I got promoted, I didn't have an interview with the DM, but that was two years ago. I just had to make sure I kept my sales up.
Unread July 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM

15% sounds right...and when i got promoted to SL, i did have to schedule a meeting with my DM, its fairly easy...he/she just wants to make sure that you a not a complete idiot.
Unread July 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
IHBB Freak

We're all idiots... we all took a job at BB

That's the "idiot tax". It's our fee for having to put up with your stupid questions.
And for everything else... there's Mastercard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redfay For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (July 31st, 2009), PilotKelson1056 (August 1st, 2009)
Unread July 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM
IHBB GOD

SL isn't really troublesome. All you need to do extra is just count the tills, do transfer requests (rentals to prp,destroy or back to DC), and opening a store or closing the store. The worst part about SL and + is that you have to deal with CRAZY customers which totally sucks >.<
Unread July 31st, 2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfay View Post
i couldnt agree more...
Unread July 31st, 2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
SL isn't really troublesome. All you need to do extra is just count the tills, do transfer requests (rentals to prp,destroy or back to DC), and opening a store or closing the store. The worst part about SL and + is that you have to deal with CRAZY customers which totally sucks >.<
Or the assholes DM's and RDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by empbal View Post
It's a 15% raise (in my region, at least). When I got promoted, I didn't have an interview with the DM, but that was two years ago. I just had to make sure I kept my sales up.
Yea BS they told me the same for that which end up being a 15 cent race. Pretty much if they want you to be SL. You have to deal with asshole customers. lazy ass crs, sometimes idiot SM who cant run shit or and pretty much be the bitch of the store

Last edited by Flantanella; July 31st, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Unread August 1st, 2009, 12:08 AM

Like they said above; standard is 15% raise, opening/closing duties, counting tills, managing the employees on the shift to make sure they do their jobs and the store looks nice, dealing with customer (and some store) problems, etc etc.

Honestly, what you need to ask yourself are a few questions:

1) Do I like my store manager enough to take a position under him/her and deal with their problems, which then become mine?

2) Do I want the responsibility for running a shift, including counting down the tills, handling cash drops and deposits, dealing with asshole customers, and everything else?

3) Am I ready to forgo (sp?) my relationship(s) with the CSRs if I take this position? [If you're friends with any of them, then get ready to abandon that friendship, as per the employee fraternization rule. Plus, how well do your friends like being bossed around by you...its not easy to discipline a friend when they do something wrong.]

In all honesty, if this is just a "job" to you while you're in school/waiting to go to school, you might want to pass on it. It'll be nice to come home to the job after school in the summer, but that's not really something you can do as a "manager" position. You don't really want the pressures of the management stuff on you if you've got more important things to worry about in your life. But, if this really is something you want to do for a while and think you can go somewhere in the company, then I'd definately take it. As far as the keyholding positions go, Shift Leader is where it starts. But be prepared to be the guy who gets the sh*t jobs. You're going to be the lowest paid manager, probably the most used (since you're the cheapest MOD possible), cleaning up other peoples' mistakes on your shift and most likely getting tossed the "management jobs" that no one else wants to do.

I've gotta say though, if you're a manager at Blockbuster, you can be a manager at pretty much any other retail/food/chain store.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrowncoatNada For This Useful Post:
bthbr4 (August 2nd, 2009), Flantanella (August 1st, 2009), Kreen-Akrore (August 2nd, 2009)
Unread August 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondSM View Post
i couldnt agree more...
Things may have changed, but in my day having a job meant being able to eat.

I would apply the word idiot to a situation where someone who is knowingly mistreated by the company stays only out of complacency.
Unread August 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
Things may have changed, but in my day having a job meant being able to eat.

I would apply the word idiot to a situation where someone who is knowingly mistreated by the company stays only out of complacency.
I think you just spoke for all of us.

Idiots.

That's the "idiot tax". It's our fee for having to put up with your stupid questions.
And for everything else... there's Mastercard.
The Following User Says Thank You to redfay For This Useful Post:
BBukAM (August 2nd, 2009)