I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
IHBB Freak

NetFuxs

Some bad news for Big Red:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Talks-...&asset=&ccode=

I guess now that Blockbuster is flotsam, Netflix is the newly anointed pinata of choice...
Unread September 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM

Damn that sucks. Didn't the price change go into affect today?
Unread September 1st, 2011, 07:49 PM
IHBB GOD

The writing is on the wall for netflix now
Unread September 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
IHBB Freak

I think the article is unnecessarily alarmist predicting the downfall of Netflix. Yes, it will probably go the way of Blockbuster or just be greatly diminished because technology keeps increasing and the studios/distributors want larger and larger shares of the profit being made off their product, understandably. What I found most interesting is that the article writer took such dire tone. This may not be good for Netflix (losing the Starz deal with more severances likely to come), but it's not the end of the company. The article trumpeted the "plunge" in stock price when in reality a drop of a dollar and change from a share of $233 is no big deal.
Unread September 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM

The current economy probably had something to do with his doomsday tone. It's not good for them to be sure, but I don't think it's any kind of deathblow certainly. I think alot of articles showcase analysts with this kneejerk reaction lately. I'm sure they'll adjust one way or another even though that content loss will hurt them. Dropping a dollar at that rate isn't exactly critical meltdown. If I saw Starbucks or Amazon drop a dollar, just as the case here, I simply go meh.... no big deal and move on.
Unread September 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM

It dropped almost $20 a share to 213 something if you actually read the article

Still though not the end of the world but not good news for Netflix stars will either get more money from Netflix because of this or go sign up with blockbuster
Unread September 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
IHBB Freak

It seems the bigger drop followed. When I first read the article, the stock price was still $233 but it's now $213. Still, $20 is not a death blow. However, they are facing some challenges now that are not dissimilar to those faced by Blockbuster 5-6 years ago. The technology is changing and they're new competitors and the content providers want a greater share (if not all) of the profit revenue.
Unread September 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
However, they are facing some challenges now that are not dissimilar to those faced by Blockbuster 5-6 years ago. The technology is changing and they're new competitors and the content providers want a greater share (if not all) of the profit revenue.
The difference is that Blockbuster used to say that the new technologies then (by mail, kiosks) didn't matter, whereas Netflix is aggressively pursuing the new techs now (streaming).

Also, Blockbuster has always overcharged for late fees (although almost all video stores, not just BB, used to overcharge for late fees) whereas Netflix used to be a great deal.

The similarities are starting now though. Netflix is raising its prices way more than it probably should have thinking it can get away with it. That definitely sounds like a BB type of move.
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky me For This Useful Post:
D Money (September 5th, 2011)
Unread September 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM

I still dont know a better service for that price. I use netflix on the daily. ON my xbox, Pc and iphone. I love it and i dont see it disappearing anytime soon.
Unread September 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM

If Blockbuster can fuck up time and time again and somehow manage to not disappear like it deserves to, it truly baffles me to contemplate on what Netflix would have to do to go under...

You have to remember too, even if a lot of Netflix customer quit, a large portion of the ones who stay are paying more to offset the loss. Also, less customers who are paying more can work out in their favor as it lowers their DVD shipping costs and their bandwidth expenses. I'm not saying what they did is a good call, but it has its advantages too.

I personally still think the price is reasonable and we've just been spoiled for too long. I honestly feel like *I* have been ripping *them* off the past year or so with all the shit I've been streaming for so cheap. Watching the entire first two seasons of Dexter while also swapping the newest released DVDs by mail for $10 a month? Holy fuck did I have it way too good, lol. I would have had to pirate to get a better deal anywhere else. I knew from the start that it was too good to be true and it would have to end eventually, so I guess the price hike just didn't upset me very much.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.

Last edited by itirnitii; September 8th, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
SL_600 (September 13th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (September 11th, 2011)