I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 21st, 2013, 06:25 PM

It's on the news: 300 BB stores to close

So the news that Dish is closing 300 more BB stores has finally hit the internet. I know that the news has already surfaced on this forum, but I wanted to post this article because it discusses Dish's concrete rationale for closing those 300 stores. It specifically states that the stores that are being shuttered are either underperforming (duh) or are approaching the ends of their leases (with apparently no regard for how profitable the stores actually might be).

In other words, even if a store is performing well, Dish is STILL closing it if it happens to be at/near the end of its lease. I'm sure someone is going to chime in and say "they're keeping the 500 most profitable locations!"... but if that's the case, then why aren't they renewing at least a few stores' leases if those stores happened to be profitable? It sounds to me like they're just keeping the stores that are at least making a miniscule profit (or breaking even) and still have at least a year left on their leases.

Here's the article:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...kbuster-stores

"Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores
Posted: 01/21/2013 01:51:03 PM MST

Dish Network Corp. will shutter approximately 300 Blockbuster stores in the coming weeks, resulting in a loss of approximately 3,000 employees, Dish spokesman John Hall said Monday.

The closures, which cover underperforming outlets or those that are approaching the end of their leases, will leave 500 Blockbuster stores in the U.S. The company has 26 locations in Colorado.

Dish "continues to see value in the Blockbuster brand and we continue to analyze the store-level profitability as we have in the past," Hall said.

Douglas County-based Dish acquired the video rental chain out of bankruptcy for $320 million in 2011. Much in the way Amazon.com clobbered Borders bookstores, Netflix and other digital alternatives have pushed Blockbuster to the brink of death.

Monday's announcement is in addition to the estimated 500 Blockbuster stores Dish shuttered last year.

Hall said the latest store closings will affect roughly 3,000 employees. They were informed on Friday.

In 2012, the Colorado Economic Development Commission granted Dish up to $2.5 million in Job Growth Incentive Tax Credits for the relocation of Blockbuster's headquarters from Texas to Douglas County. The move was expected to create 150 management jobs in the metro area over five years with an average annual wage of $93,257.

The location of the stores that will close in the coming weeks has not been announced, Hall said.

"There have been store closures" in the past, said Hall. "Really from the time of acquisition there has been a strategy to evaluate stores on a case-by-case basis in an effort to look at their production."

Hall wouldn't say when an individual store would close.

"It will happen over a period time as many leases are ending," he said.

Dish is the nation's No. 2 satellite-TV provider with about 14 million subscribers. The company has been contemplating selling smartphones and wireless service at Blockbuster stores as it prepares to enter the mobile broadband business.

"We're still evaluating that," Dish chief executive Joe Clayton said in an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month. "We've looked at possible fixturing, how it would be done, who would our partners be, but nothing has been done yet. It's still in exploratory phase."

Dish employs about 30,000 nationwide, including 5,000 in Colorado.

Read more: Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz2IffyJ7F2
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse"
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (January 21st, 2013)
Unread January 21st, 2013, 07:05 PM
IHBB GOD

Darn .ugh now the nasty ppl come in.
Unread January 21st, 2013, 07:05 PM

So much for the 1500 they started with and bragged about in the news about saving all those jobs... pfft... asshats
Baby Firefly (January 22nd, 2013), DavidNewlySL (January 21st, 2013), fireyjewels (January 23rd, 2013)
Unread January 21st, 2013, 07:10 PM

Why won't Ergen/Clayton just admit that they plan to close all the stores as their leases come to an end? It's obvious that that's exactly what they plan to do. They even admitted that many of the stores being closed are those at the end of their leases (without consideration of their profitability). Also, if Dish plans to open smaller stores over the next year, why won't they state that in at least ONE of these press releases? Why not make a visual effort to balance the negative with the positive? Everyone complains about how every news item regarding Blockbuster is negative, but for some reason, Dish seems to feel that the positive-minded developments regarding BB are "top-secret" or something stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
fireyjewels (January 23rd, 2013)
Unread January 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM
IHBB GOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd--tIkrVoA
Unread January 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
and 500 stores still remain...Kaw will wait it out lmao..funny how the brand will never technically close with the blockbuster at home and online services, must just want people to lose their jobs..douche
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread January 21st, 2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
and 500 stores still remain...Kaw will wait it out lmao..funny how the brand will never technically close with the blockbuster at home and online services, must just want people to lose their jobs..douche
I don't want to see anyone at BB (that I know of) lose their job. I'm just perplexed by Dish's almost extremist attitude towards protracting the short lifespan of "the video store." I have a feeling, though, that their pipedream will come to an end when the leases on the remaining 500 stores are up for renewal...
Unread January 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
I don't want to see anyone at BB (that I know of) lose their job. I'm just perplexed by Dish's almost extremist attitude towards protracting the short lifespan of "the video store." I have a feeling, though, that their pipedream will come to an end when the leases on the remaining 500 stores are up for renewal...
Oh i know your not, no one on this board really wants to see people jobless. The people that fired Kaw for whatever fraudulent activity he was doing have probably been gone from the company for years now, and he still wishes the company to close, which leaves thousands jobless still.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread January 22nd, 2013, 06:16 AM
IHBB GOD

just read some comments about our news, lol some people crack me when they hate on the company and late fees when they knew dam well they would be charged and what there due date was lol. to my real customers over the years that play by the rules god bless all of you, its been wayyy fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 22nd, 2013), fireyjewels (January 23rd, 2013)
Unread January 22nd, 2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
Unfortunately, they may not even wait for that.