I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 18th, 2011, 11:18 PM
IHBB Freak

Where did BBV go wrong...

I know we all know what BBV online has to offer because we are mostly all employees or were employees...hell, we know that you can look up almost any website and find something related to what you're searching for...

But, I'm reading this article: http://paidcontent.org/article/419-n...ng-dvd-queue/# "Netflix enrages subscribers by limiting DVD queue."

I'm reading the comments and only four on the first page consist of any information about Blockbuster... I'm not a big fan of BBV being as I work for this company and soon, my store will be closed...but as a consumer, I check all the angles and costs and what each service provides.

Hulu is great for TV shows
Netflix is good for streaming older movies (or crappy ones my SO wants to watch)
Blockbuster doesn't charge extra for bluray, they get new movies usually in the first 28 days and they've got the same, comparative prices to netflix...

So, where did BBV go wrong that about 100 people just...have no clue? Netflix is uttered constantly, but blockbuster, not so much. Blockbuster is definitely not a house hold name anymore, or it's totally on its way out. I guess I've been living in a shadow cast in front of me by a big blue idiot, but our advertising SUCKSSSS ass.

I bet you, bbv could make the WORST, most ANNOYING and LOW BUDGET commercial and we'd get more people in our doors...I mean come on...don't you wanna, wanna fanta?

/rant
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (January 19th, 2011)
Unread January 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM

ok well advertising costs a fortune that blockbuster doesnt have (any more). however, we do advertise the competitor in our stores, free of charge. you see what i did there?

carl and ray = success. we even sold out of those stupid plush toys.

$3 mill superbowl ad = shit, and semi-death.
competitor getting a 3 year head start.
i can be here for a while, so i'll stop here on 2 major issues.

i dont like this company and the retards running it, while all the brains are in the field and not corporate.

but i do not like the competitors either as i have tried and tested everything and it's embarassing to see how poorly this company does compared to what others are doing.

right now its pretty much the competitors are a pile of shit, but blockbuster says to themself "wait a minute, why cant we be a pile of shit? lets be the greatest pile of shit there is".. and that's where we are today.
Unread January 19th, 2011, 12:24 AM

Carl and Ray why did they phase them out? People loved them. I don't know why this company don't send out mailers to all home within a few miles of their stores or send those coupons out to the former renters we really need all we can get to get people into the stores right now. Or how about some mailers that show we are pre ordering Tangled and video games?
Unread January 19th, 2011, 04:50 AM

Where did Blockbuster go wrong? Hmm... I have a few ideas where.....

1. As Ninja stated above BBV is not a household name anymore and I agree. When you think of entertainment or movies first thing that comes to mind is Netflix or even Redbox. This is due to lack of advertising and creating a buzz about BBV to bring in new and bring back old customers.

2. Lack of leadership. For years BBV has had a lack of leadership in all levels of the corporation from store to CEO. Everybody has a different focus and priority on what they want versus what corporate actually wants. Corporate has no idea what stores are really like because the regional leadership clouds the picture to save their own ass.

3. Existing customers are confused by what we tell them. Customers tell me all the time that they are confused from the promotions we run. One month we are telling customers to purchase a rewards program and the next month to join our online program. Then when the customer asks does rewards work with online and you say no they ask you that question. Why did you sell me a rewards program then? So corporate needs to realize that we really need to maintain two different programs not affiliated with each other. Let stores run and sell in store promos and let online advertise and run their own promotions.

4. Employees who do not care. Go into any store and you will find that you have some of the most miserable people who have walked this earth. I am not saying every store is like this, but a vast majority are. Once the store manger leaves on a for the day the level of service drops. You have an ASM if your lucky, a shift leader, and a CSR who are hourly and do not really care about you or customer service. Yes, the "Blockbuster Way" resolved some of this but for how long?

5. Last and but not least is the notion out there that BBV is going out of business. The only real image this company has out there is that we are closing stores, bankrupt, and in the end going out of business. What is corporate doing to change this, nothing at all. No positive press releases, no advertising, and no excitement around the brand. Corp needs to get the word out there that we are here to stay for a long time. Maybe then we will show increased business in store and online. After all who wants to sign up for something that wont be there if a few months. Which is why netflix is kicking our ass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lackluster For This Useful Post:
almondSM (January 19th, 2011), Big Dog (January 19th, 2011)
Unread January 19th, 2011, 06:31 AM

#1 without a doubt - The first and biggest major screw-up that sent them on a slow downward spiral to where we are today: BB was offered a deal to buy netflix, and they laughed it off, saying netflix was a "niche" market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
2. Lack of leadership. For years BBV has had a lack of leadership in all levels of the corporation from store to CEO. Everybody has a different focus and priority on what they want versus what corporate actually wants. Corporate has no idea what stores are really like because the regional leadership clouds the picture to save their own ass.
X

And funny thing is, this is happening in overtime right as we speak.
Unread January 19th, 2011, 07:19 AM
IHBB GOD

I first started noticing blockbuster was going down when we used to have 6-7 people work a peak shift. Then in 3-4 months after hours were being cut to save labor it went down to 4 people per peak shift. After 1-2 months it went down from 4 to 3 people working a peak shift. Then when 3 people were working a peak shift the hours were then cut again we would have 1 mod working the peak and 1 cashier and the 2nd cashier would work from 6pm-10pm when our peak shifts were busy.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread January 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
IHBB Freak

You know what two companies are constantly contending for the number one spot...
Coke and Pepsi...

Do they still put ads out? YES.

Why stop advertising?! Instead of keyes getting his bonus that he doesn't really deserve, advertise!!!

I could probably record myself being an idiot, dancing and saying something catchy and people would remember it and remember bbv from it. ugh
Unread January 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Hands down the death of BBV truly came from being late to the ball game on every new innovation that comes out. All the other stupid shit that BBV does probably wouldn't have bankrupted them, but not being on the cusp of new technologies and new ways of renting - which is their primary business - is the heart of all their problems.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread January 19th, 2011, 09:35 AM
IHBB GOD

Cust: I'd hate to see you close. You guys have a much better selection than Redbox.
Me: Yep, that's definitely one of the things we have going for us.
*customer leaves*
*I get back to my 335-piece BSI PRP pull*
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread January 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM

I think what BB did that really screwed themselves for good was treating the customers and employees like shit for years (although they treat the employees even worse now), so that everyone hates them.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.