I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 25th, 2011, 12:45 AM

My store's team just spent the "online bouns" money!!

And what a night it was we had $1,300 to waste!!

So we ordered a Hummer Limo to drive us downtown and we went to a very expensive all you can eat steakhouse. OMG the food was sooo good the steak just melted in your mouth and I tried everything they offered I was stuffed. After that we went to see Limitless at the movie theater witch was a very good film.

Was it worth all the sales pressure? No not really it would of just been better if we could just divided the money between all of us.

But I known what corporate was trying to do with the payouts they were trying to get some of the money back if we ended up not spending it that night. But we blew the whole the thing we actually had $160 left witch we gave to the limo driver as a tip.
Unread March 25th, 2011, 03:35 AM
IHBB GOD

It simply makes no sense to me that you had to spend the money as a team on frivolous things when the economy is sooo bad and most of you are losing your jobs.
AbandonedDreams (March 25th, 2011), Big Dog (March 25th, 2011), charlied72 (March 25th, 2011), Flantanella (March 25th, 2011), getoffmybeach (March 25th, 2011), Ghost of AtlanticVamp (March 26th, 2011), its_me_ASM69 (March 25th, 2011), katiebell (March 25th, 2011), omg_bbv (March 26th, 2011), Propoxy (March 25th, 2011), SL_600 (March 26th, 2011), underemployed (March 26th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (March 25th, 2011), wowurrcool (March 25th, 2011), zooworker (March 25th, 2011)
Unread March 25th, 2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post
It simply makes no sense to me that you had to spend the money as a team on frivolous things when the economy is sooo bad and most of you are losing your jobs.
Wouldn't that help stimulate the economy though? Kind of like the stimulation checks, when people bought a ton of things they didn't need?
Unread March 25th, 2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsdojo View Post

So we ordered a Hummer Limo to drive us downtown and we went to a very expensive all you can eat steakhouse. OMG the food was sooo good the steak just melted in your mouth and I tried everything they offered I was stuffed. After that we went to see Limitless at the movie theater witch was a very good film.

Was it worth all the sales pressure? No not really it would of just been better if we could just divided the money between all of us.

But I known what corporate was trying to do with the payouts they were trying to get some of the money back if we ended up not spending it that night. But we blew the whole the thing we actually had $160 left witch we gave to the limo driver as a tip.
Trust me when I say Corporate was not trying to get back money. If we paid it out you would have ended up with about half because of taxes...and the BK judge would not have allowed us to give out bonus. I wish just one thing we try to do for you guys didnt always have to have some kind of negative spin.

Anyway...Wow that is an amazing way to spend the night out. I wonder if that was one of the most creative ways? I going to take the top half of your post and pass it on. I hope everyone on your team had a blast.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?" - II DUCE
Unread March 25th, 2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post

Here is a few of reasons

1. Because of BK the judge could have told us no
2. Had to come up with something to cover all Employees, CA laws always throws a kink into things.
3. If we would have pay out to employee the employee who worked 1 day a week might not have gotten anything
4. We wanted people do something fun, because the place has not been fun for a while
5. Think about this also if we payout a $1600 bonus it would have been taxed at 40% and the reward would have been less

I know this ihateblockbuster.com but I really feel like this was a good program that we were able to offer in the middle of BK. I would have love to do something like this with my store team. I did take them to Dave and Busters once every six months, but that was out of my own pocket.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?" - II DUCE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blockbusterstore482 For This Useful Post:
ASMacronyms (March 25th, 2011), djblade (March 25th, 2011), prettyinpink (March 25th, 2011)
Unread March 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM

I gotta go with 482 on this one, good on stores for spending the payout money on crazy things they dont have a chance to do normally. It's not gonna make anyone forget everyhing thats going on in the company, but it's nice to do something nice for yourself once in a while. Good for the soul and whatnot.

I budget every cent that comes into my pocket, and since there arent a lot of cents i dont normally buy anything for myself -- unless you count rent, bills and groceries. But once in a while boyfriend and I will just say fuck it and go out for dinner and a movie, because it feels GOOD to do something fun and out of the ordinary, even if shit around you is falling to pieces.
Unread March 25th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsdojo View Post

and then you woke up? ha
Unread March 25th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockbusterstore482 View Post
Trust me when I say Corporate was not trying to get back money. If we paid it out you would have ended up with about half because of taxes...and the BK judge would not have allowed us to give out bonus. I wish just one thing we try to do for you guys didnt always have to have some kind of negative spin.

Anyway...Wow that is an amazing way to spend the night out. I wonder if that was one of the most creative ways? I going to take the top half of your post and pass it on. I hope everyone on your team had a blast.
My team, went to Busch Gardens, I was planning on going but then well I quit. sadly. I would have loved to go, they even invited me but not having a job I couldnt come up with the money.
Unread March 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM

It unfortunately makes perfect sense for them to give a lump sum instead of a bonus payout to employees. Me personally, I would have LOVED to have gotten it as a bonus on my check as opposed to having to use it as a store function. The SM's got a matching bonus on their checks for whatever the store earned. Unfortunately, I was not able to take part of something that I was responsible for earning the majority of in my store because I quit when I found out our store was closing and we were still not in sight of seeing any of that bonus payout that was supposed to come back in December.

What pisses me off more than anything is the fact that not only did we have little to no say in what the money was used for (and from the sounds of it, this is more the exception than the rule) but the asshat who had almost NO hand whatsoever in actually earning the money got the exact same payout that the store got *JUST FOR HIMSELF*. Plus he's a dual store manager so he got the unearned bonus for 2 stores instead of just one. When the bonus finally WAS paid out, he dictated where the employees were going to go to spend it and he forbade anyone from bringing anybody with them, even if that person (spouse or significant other as example) footed their own bill.

Even if I *had* still been employed at the time of the payout, I would not have been able to take advantage of the bonus because he decided they were going on the night that happened to be my birthday. Sorry, but I'd rather spend my birthday with my family than with an asshole who called me a whiny crybaby bitch when I expressed my displeasure with having an extra 2 hours (minimum) thrown onto my (and everyone else's) schedule the night that we did the rental to closing store changeover and gave us NO notice that he did it. We literally walked in the door and about 90 minutes into the shift someone mentioned we were all now staying until at least midnight instead of 10 pm. Then the SM proceeded to change into a suit and tie and left to go to dinner.

I can take some solace in the fact that at the "company function" the wait staff apparently dumped water all over him, soaking him to the bone. That in and of itself might have been worth the price of admission and one hell of a birthday present.

And as far as the judge not allowing the bonus payout if it were done on checks, how then are the closing stores getting the (was $10, now $5 and I call bullshit) payout as pay bonus if that's the case? The entire thing just stinks and sorry if I'm a little jaded but I've spent the better part of 13 years being screwed by this company and if it proves anything, it only proves that things NEVER actually change they only get reworded.
Unread March 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM

We have had the $1,000 for our "store activity" disbursed for over a month, but our SM hasn't moved any plans forward for any of the ideas thrown at her. She dropped it in my lap on Monday of this week - and all receipts have to be turned in by April 1st, so we are a bit under the gun. None of us want the money to be disbursed back, with the exception of the SM - who already got her "bonus" on her check, so I guess you can't blame her...AHEM AHEM...sorry, choking on my sarcasm there...

By wheeling and dealing with our DM, I got clearance to pay for what we want in advance, but we aren't actually doing the group activity thing until May. Better weather

The 1K is, honestly, a little too much to spend on one function for only five people - we kicked around the limo idea, which would have helped spend it, but no one was really feeling that.

So, we got AMAZING seats to a baseball game that is upcoming, plus ballpark money to spend on hot dogs and such, we are all heading to dinner on Blockbuster pre-game, and there will still be money left over. With the remainder, we all got year-long memberships to the local zoo, which is what the employees were really pushing for. The membership allows us all to go, plus gets in guests and family members without costing any extra - can anyone say "loophole?" (It was really bugging us that we couldn't take anyone on our outing, even if they paid for themselves - we're a really tight team, our kids are friends, we all know one another's spouses, etc).

There is a little left even after all that, so methinks we will get advance tickets to an upcoming movie. That about spends it, and everyone is pretty happy. Not bad for three days to plan
Disclaimer: The opinions and statements I share here are my own, and are not a representation of Dish Network or Blockbuster, LLC in any way. I repeat - the postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

"If you go home with someone, and they don't have books - don't fuck 'em." John Waters