I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
IHBB GOD

I was training a new employee today and these two ladies come up to the counter to check out. They were about 45-55 years of age. Very proper, the two of them. One was on a cell phone and kept telling the other to hurry up, and the other kept talking back to her telling her she was going as fast as possible.

So basically the scenario was this: my new employee is standing there waiting for a membership card or driver's license. This lady is saying her name over and over. Employee looks back at me, looks forward, the lady says, "I've said my name THREE times!"

I say to employee, "do NOT type anything."

Employee asks for license, lady throws it on counter. Teaching employees one step at a time baby! Man that lady was a BITCH.

And I kid you not on the way to work there was a woman about 65 driving behind me trying to fucking race me or something - I finally swirved in front of her and cut her off all the way to work cuz she was trying to go about 45 in a 30mph zone. The fuck is her problem... same thing happened on the way home from work - dude was trying to go 55-60 in a 45. And I go about 4-5mph above the speed limit, so not like I drive slow!

But I purposely look for the assholes who like to speed. The funniest part was the dude on the way home started flashing his lights at me, hahaha, IN FUCKING BROAD DAYLIGHT. Like, "Ooh noo my eyes!" What the fuck? He turned them off after about a minute, haha... they always swirve into the next lane then and I speed up. IDIOTS!

Oh, and the speeding grandma - she started cursing, I'm not joking - she was like flipping out. I don't even watch the road in front of me half the time cuz they're too hilarious to take my eyes off of. These people go INSANE. It's like, fucking leave earlier you assholes.

Last edited by igniteice; August 21st, 2006 at 07:46 PM.
Unread August 21st, 2006, 07:50 PM
IHBB GOD

Alright I updated that last reply but it didn't send it to top so now I'm bumping this up because of all those fucking pen/vault/drop box threads flooding it.
Unread August 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via Yahoo to URBAN_COWBOY
I don't work for BB anymore but..............

BUMP.....

just because I love this thread. Thanks IG.

"Girl, you're making me harder than chinese algebra."-Craig Shoemaker

Cowboy, I'm all yours Always have been, always will! -WrongHeaven

Royal Executioner
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
IHBB GOD

Yeah I'm sure I'll meet some more idiots this weekend - wait... why wait till the weekend! I'm sure I'll meet some more idiots my next shift.

I get idiots asking for directions all the time too around here. It's like they're driving by and thinking, "Oh, we're lost... let's stop at Blockbuster and ask for directions."

And then these morons sometimes lie about using the phone... "Oh, I need to call to find out what movie they want to rent." I'm like, "Uh, okay, sure..." and ask for the phone number. They get on the phone and they're like, "I'm at Blockbuster come pick me up!!" Bastards.

I had this mexican guy come in few weeks ago and he was asking for something but didn't speak any English and he was getting pissed off at me for not understanding him. Wtf? He kept pointing at things and I'd say something and he'd nod and then I'd ask him it in a question and he'd shake his head no. He finally just left the store all pissed off. He kept pointing at this game cover box, but he clearly was NOT talking about a game. Damn... I should have called up a detective for him or something to solve the case.

And then this bitch this morning comes in and stands by the inside drop box with her movie and I'm all, "Do you have a question? You can just drop the movie in the box." And she says to me, "I want to make sure it gets checked in because I've had some movies lately that haven't been getting checked in and I get calls about them."

I say to her, "Oh, well, we do a report to find movies on the shelf and then we take off the late fee and such..." She says to me, "Yeah, I think that's what they did last time."

So I check her movie in and she leaves and I look in the history. She had something like 260 rents and NO HISTORY. What the fuck was she talking about? People are always saying that bullshit! "Oh yeah I've rented here recently." -- "In the last 6 months?" -- "No it's been about 3 years."

What the fuck part of RECENT do people ignore? I'm guessing the context it's used in. I should try to be more direct. "Have you recently set foot in this fine estabilishment within a recent period of time such as that which might be considered under the past most recent 6 months?" Assholes.

And the bastards who give me their last name when I ask for their name after bringing up their account. Wtf? I'm pretty fucking direct, "And your name is?" -- "Thompson." -- "No, I mean, who are you?" -- "It's under Thompson." -- "Yeah, but what is your name?"

And idiots around here seem to think a checkcard that is declined is an active card. So I always sign up these members and ask them, "Is this credit card active?" They say, "Oh yeah, totally." I pre-auth it... declined. "You said it was active." -- "It is active!" -- "It's declined." -- "There's no money in it." -- "Then it's not active." -- "Yeah it's active I just don't have any money in my checking account." -- "..."

Or sometimes they think saying the right words will get me to bend policy, "Oh, it's declined? I just used it at the gas station 20 minutes ago!" My responses are getting more and more sarcastic... "Yeah, I don't know how you did that, but that doesn't help you here."

I've never once bent on credit card for new members and members added to system. Hell, if I bring up an account that an employee added and forgot to add a credit card to it - I'll turn them away if they don't have a credit card. "But they let me rent last time!" The fuck does that even mean? Do they expect me to be like, "Well, we require a credit card, and I just told you that an employee didn't add one because he/she made a mistake, but, I guess because they made a mistake, you're OKAY." Fuck that.

I had one guy that received a fucking $40 credit from the old SM and then refused to pay some like $20 late fees or something. Oh wait, he came in to rent some movies and he was renting FIVE DVDs - all new releases, a few 2-days. Very little rental activity and some warning about $40 in late fees because he was in hospital and how the late fees need to be removed. So one of my old idiot managers actually took off the $40 balance (I sure as hell wouldn't have) and let him go. So I ask him for a credit card and he gives me one and it's declined and he tells me, I kid you not, his exact words... "Yeah, I know it's declined, I've been a little behind in paying my bills." I'm adding up all these factors in my head...

1. Can't pay credit card bills.
2. Carries around declined credit cards.
3. Somehow racked up $40 in late fees.
4. Graciously had them removed.
5. Renting five DVDs, all New Releases, some 2-day rentals.
6. No visible rental history, and like 20-40 rents tops.

It was more or less along the lines of, "Get out." But I think he got the message when I said I can't rent to him without a valid credit card and he started saying, "This is bullshit!" Yeah...

I always try to lay the blame on the bank though, hahaha... "Sorry, umm, your credit card is declined, I'd talk to the bank..."

People are always like, "Oh, yeah, the bank, totally, I'll do that."
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 12:34 PM

We used to do hold lists (you don't have to tell me its stupid, I know), but thankfuly only for BSI titles / games, as they didn't have the turn around chances that NR movies do.

This customer type is made up only TWO customers, both of who were regulars at the store.

They would come in look for whatever game it was that was iching their fingers today, and not find it. They would ask us at the counter if we had it, and demand we check the drop box too. They would get it held if it came in.
15 min later:
Me: thanks for calling [blah blah blah]
c: Did it come back yet?
(I know exactly who it was by voice)
me: What were you looking for today?
c: (sighs) [GAME]
me: I'm sorry we don't have that in right now.
c: Well can you call me when it comes in?
me: We sure can, can I get you name and number?
c: [details]
me: Oh, it looks like we alredy had you listed for that title, we'll call you as soon as it comes it.

We would get 3 or 4 calls an hour like this from one person who wanted a game, and it finaly drove the SM to say we could never reserve anything, ever.
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM

A few stories.

The when is the 2-day rental due back lady.

C - Is there any RV in the bin?
M - (I check), no its all out.
C - Well, when is it due back?
M - Its a two day rental, they come back sporadically.

I also do not kid here, I also don't use a lot of vocabulary words a average 11 grader uses around our customers, but it just came out.

C - I don't want it if it doesn't play.

I was very confused when she said this.

M - I mean, they come back all the time, its a 2 day rental, we have a 7 day grace period, its all up to the customer.

C - Well, can you call them and tell them to return it.

What the fuck is she getting at here. That I should impose more on our customers. I should call Mr. I don't give out my credit card or Mrs. I returned my movie but I got this postcard in the mail, you guys made a mistake and tell them, hey return RV because Mrs. Is it in the Golden Bin of Joy wants it.

I then ask her, would you like me to call you at home to tell you do return your movies.

C - Well, if you explained to me its because someone else wanted it, I would.

She then went back to look for more fine entertainment, the 25 copies of Shaggy Dog that were out, she came to ask for and Inside Man, she demanded her Rain Check for. Bitch.

My second one, just hurts my head talking about.

A man comes in, and is holding a postcard and 3 movies. I approach him and ask how can I help him? I here an accent, and want to cry right away.

C - I need to.. re-tune? movies.

M - Ok, I grab them but somehow looked at the labels not recognizing one of the titles. They were from the Daytona Store.

I can't check these in sir, they aren't from our store.

C - Yes, I get them from Blockbuster.

M - I realize this sir, they say Blockbuster right on the label, but they are from the store on Nova.

C - No, I rent them from Blockbuster.

He then hands me the postcard for a balance of 5.67 or something, very odd amount.

I pull up his account, seems he rented here before. I see a warning saying "Do not accept movies from other stores, call for MOD right away". Who am I to disagree with the comment.

C - I don't owe nothing. Fix it. Fix it. Fix it.

M - I heard you sir, I think this situation is better suited for the Manager.

C - He has a dump grin on his face, and shakes his head no.

MOD reads the warning, and proceeds to deny him also.

MOD - I can't accept this, they aren't from our store.

C - Don't be fucking stupid.

They proceed to argue, which MODs shouldn't due and this one does on my occasions, much to my delight, it is very entertaining.

The customer leaves, takes his postcard from the other store and walks out "With his movies.". I say that just to note that if he left the movies, we would have had to check them in.

This guy trys this shit at least once a week and I had a few other CSRS almost call the other store. Lucky I caught them and pointed to the wrn.
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudedos View Post
A few stories.

The when is the 2-day rental due back lady.

C - Is there any RV in the bin?
M - (I check), no its all out.
C - Well, when is it due back?
M - Its a two day rental, they come back sporadically.

M - I mean, they come back all the time, its a 2 day rental, we have a 7 day grace period, its all up to the customer.

C - Well, can you call them and tell them to return it.

She then went back to look for more fine entertainment, the 25 copies of Shaggy Dog that were out, she came to ask for and Inside Man, she demanded her Rain Check for. Bitch..
All this from someone who probable keeps movies out for 29 days.
The top Poster!
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
IHBB GOD

I still say nothing beats the classic...

Me: Do you have your card or license?

C: 824-555-5555

Me: Okay. Card?

C: They just look it up by my number. I'm in the system. (WHICH IS BULLSHIT! Will someone PLEASE tell me where the phone number crap originated from?)

Me: We have no way of looking it up through your number. I need the card or an ID to rent to you.

C: *sigh*

Blah!
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
They just look it up by my number. I'm in the system. (WHICH IS BULLSHIT! Will someone PLEASE tell me where the phone number crap originated from?)
Blah!
Many years ago, if they didn't have the card we could ask for the name and then the phone number to verify the account. But BBi got sued and lost over the phone number bit and we were told not to ask it for Id anymore. People will sue any large company for anything.
The top Poster!
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
I still say nothing beats the classic...

Me: Do you have your card or license?

C: 824-555-5555

Me: Okay. Card?

C: They just look it up by my number. I'm in the system. (WHICH IS BULLSHIT! Will someone PLEASE tell me where the phone number crap originated from?)

Me: We have no way of looking it up through your number. I need the card or an ID to rent to you.

C: *sigh*

Blah!

Sweet Lord Yes. I asked several Managers and they told me they have never accepted phone numbers. I don't understand why people think I'm so prone to typing a phone number recited so quickly, if we did actually do it. My response to them is reciting it back to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
Many years ago, if they didn't have the card we could ask for the name and then the phone number to verify the account. But BBi got sued and lost over the phone number bit and we were told not to ask it for Id anymore. People will sue any large company for anything.
So I was right in theory alone.

C - Yeah, thats my number.
M - I know, and I now know you number, which means if I went to any other place and recited it, I could pull up your account and very well damage it.

Most will then proceed to pull out their cards. WHY THE FUCK DIDNT THEY DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE!

ALSO, IF YOU COMING TO BLOCKBUSTER, have your card goddamn ready. I hate when people tear their wallets apart just to find it.

Our store also had a meeting about allowing rentals without ID. Sometimes a few clerks would just ask for an address or phone number (Probably how this problem stems) then allows the rental.

Well, a group of kids come up to the counter, and they always, always have no ID or any idea of what a Brain is. Example.

M - Do you have an ID?

C - Its my moms account.

M - Well, I need your ID and if your not on the account, I'll have to call them.

This is when Friend A interjects with her knowledge of how things run around here.

C - I never get this problem when I come in.

M - Well, whats your account then, obviously your more prepared and would have an account with your name clearly on it.

Shes stunned at this point that I actually didn't cave in at her lame attempt at proving me wrong.

Gives me a last name and I pull the account. It has a Check ID and his name is no where to be found. I then tell him I have to call. Of course he now found his Jefferson High Id Card and hands it to me.

C - THERE!

M - Your not on the account, so I have to call your parents.

C - No don't, see I told you (INSERT GIRL NAME HERE) I couldn't.

He then tells me that he rented movies before and his friend (THE GIRL) didn't return them on time and the parents got charges, now the CHECK ID makes sense.

If anything out of this, I made sure a number was right, checked the warnings on the account if they still had use. ( I hate when we still have rainchecks wrns from 5 months ago) and made sure that she didn't have to come and open

Last edited by Nudedos; August 22nd, 2006 at 10:16 PM.