I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:40 PM
zooworker's Avatar
zooworker zooworker is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Over there
Posts: 24,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudedos View Post
Also, a little off-topic, I searched the forums and I read over the Noob Thread. I don't believe we have a thread about New Employee Mistakes. Just putting it out there before being blasted for opening the topic.
Go for it, I didn't find one either. Has anyone else found one?My search skills aren't that great

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
Nah. I got promoted because I was the only employee left who wasn't fired for theft
That's a good quality!
__________________
It's been a Fun Ride,
THANKS!! Old Friends!!
ROYAL GUARD
The top Poster!
  #162  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Nudedos's Avatar
Nudedos Nudedos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
It's actually really simple to get them out. Say, "They have to physically be here and add you." If they bitch, just give them the "oh well" look. Ask if they're 18 and suggest they start their own account. If not, oh well, put the movies aside and say "next, please!". That's what I do. You'll get the occassional "You're an asshole!", "Let's go, Trisha! We're going to HOLLYWOOD!" or "Thats like, soooo effing retarded", but oh well. Gives you something to laugh about later.
Now that you say it.

A lady came in, movies in hand and pulled out her Debit Card. Blank stare at me.

C - How much?

M - I need your card or license.

C - I don't have it, how much?

M - I need an account to rent too.

C - Its Rod...

M - I still need an ID.
C- The last name isn't the same, its my husbands account.
M - Ma' am, Please. I need an ID, we use an ID as proof, you are who you say you are if you didn't have your card.
C - Well, I could have a card and it could not be mine.
M - You'll be happy to know, we just don't hand out cards to strangers, so I believe your pretty safe.

I pull the account and she isn't listed.

I will need to call your husband to see if you can rent.

C - The number on the account is wrong, it won't work.

M - ...... Well, thats too bad really. Since your not on the account and you gave a disconnected number, I can't allow you to rent.

C - This is bullshit, I rent all the time and no problems.

M - Who rented to you Ma'am, I will report them to my Manager.

C - ... I'm going to the other movie store.

M - Do you need directions Ma'am?

As she walked out, she mumbled "Smartass".

Goes to show, calling really doesn't make a difference and in the future, I just won't call!
  #163  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
zooworker's Avatar
zooworker zooworker is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Over there
Posts: 24,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudedos View Post
Now that you say it.

A lady came in, movies in hand and pulled out her Debit Card. Blank stare at me.

C - How much?

M - I need your card or license.

C - I don't have it, how much?

M - I need an account to rent too.

C - Its Rod...

M - I still need an ID.
C- The last name isn't the same, its my husbands account.
M - Ma' am, Please. I need an ID, we use an ID as proof, you are who you say you are if you didn't have your card.
C - Well, I could have a card and it could not be mine.
M - You'll be happy to know, we just don't hand out cards to strangers, so I believe your pretty safe.

I pull the account and she isn't listed.

I will need to call your husband to see if you can rent.

Goes to show, calling really doesn't make a difference and in the future, I just won't call!
We never call, because even if the number is good you have no way to know who is on the other end. There is a reason they are not on the account usually.
__________________
It's been a Fun Ride,
THANKS!! Old Friends!!
ROYAL GUARD
The top Poster!
  #164  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
brantheman's Avatar
brantheman brantheman is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zee Voodlands, Tejas.
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudedos View Post

Goes to show, calling really doesn't make a difference and in the future, I just won't call!
Good idea. You've just got to compare your two possible scenarios:

Scenario 1
Customer wants to rent, has no card, possibly no ID. Not listed on the account they apparently "always rent from". You call the number on the account. You get a bitchy, cranky parent who will either tell you "hell no" or "i thought I already did that! why are you calling me?!", blah blah blah. More headaches for you. Then, the customer gets to rent and you see the look of satisfaction on their face that they got their way. You still have a headache.

Scenario 2
"Sorry, they'd have to come into the store and add you."..."Oh, someone let you rent before? Who was it? I'll have to refresh their memory about company policy."..."Are you 18?"..."Great, applications are over here/Sorry...just have them come in next time and add you and you'll never have this problem again. Have a good one!" No headache. Just roaring laughter...on the inside.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
BRANTHEMAN
-----------------------------------------
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
  #165  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
zooworker's Avatar
zooworker zooworker is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Over there
Posts: 24,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
Good idea. You've just got to compare your two possible scenarios:

Scenario 1
Customer wants to rent, has no card, possibly no ID. Not listed on the account they apparently "always rent from". You call the number on the account. You get a bitchy, cranky parent who will either tell you "hell no" or "i thought I already did that! why are you calling me?!", blah blah blah. More headaches for you. Then, the customer gets to rent and you see the look of satisfaction on their face that they got their way. You still have a headache.

Scenario 2
"Sorry, they'd have to come into the store and add you."..."Oh, someone let you rent before? Who was it? I'll have to refresh their memory about company policy."..."Are you 18?"..."Great, applications are over here/Sorry...just have them come in next time and add you and you'll never have this problem again. Have a good one!" No headache. Just roaring laughter...on the inside.
It's number 2 that's a winner!!!!!!!
I always go for that one.
__________________
It's been a Fun Ride,
THANKS!! Old Friends!!
ROYAL GUARD
The top Poster!
  #166  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
brantheman's Avatar
brantheman brantheman is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zee Voodlands, Tejas.
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
It's number 2 that's a winner!!!!!!!
I always go for that one.
Yeah...and I know i'm not the only person who gets just a little bit of evil pleasure out of pissing people off who are coming at you determined to "get there way", especially teenagers
__________________
-----------------------------------------
BRANTHEMAN
-----------------------------------------
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
  #167  
Unread August 22nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
zooworker's Avatar
zooworker zooworker is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Over there
Posts: 24,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantheman View Post
Yeah...and I know i'm not the only person who gets just a little bit of evil pleasure out of pissing people off who are coming at you determined to "get there way", especially teenagers
.......
__________________
It's been a Fun Ride,
THANKS!! Old Friends!!
ROYAL GUARD
The top Poster!
  #168  
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
igniteice's Avatar
igniteice igniteice is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seahaven Island
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudedos View Post
C - This is bullshit, I rent all the time and no problems.

M - Who rented to you Ma'am, I will report them to my Manager.

C - ... I'm going to the other movie store.

M - Do you need directions Ma'am?

As she walked out, she mumbled "Smartass".
That response always pissed me off. The "Who rented to you? I'll REPORT THEM!" I doubt anyone actually says that to the customer. I'm positive in fact because I've had another employee use that same line when joking around about customers without ID. I had been telling him about some asshole, this was over a year ago, and he told me, "That's when you stop and ask the customer who rented to him and that you'll report that person."

First off, why would the customer know/remember? Second, you can just look up the history and see the ID of said employees and who is renting. It's like, more useless information to say to a customer. It sounds all fancy when you say it to other employees... "LOL, so I told the guy, 'you tell me who rented to you then and I'll make sure he's dealt with'!" But really... what the fuck? Most people just say, "Sorry, we can't look up accounts without ID" and then make sure all employees know this policy after the customer has left. No need to get the customer involved in policies that affect employees more so.

And the whole, "Do you need directions?" line... what the fuck? I don't mind if an employee says, "Have a good night" or "Thanks for stopping in" after someone announces they're going to Hollywood but don't be a fucking smartass. That guy was RIGHT in saying that to you. I mean, you were being a smartass, when all you had to do was politely explain a fucking policy about needing to see his ID to rent.

Let me break it down for you: there are customers who rent ALL The time and certain employees know them by name because they come in once a week for YEARS. Then they check out from another employee, some new asshole (like you) and they do what they've always done... they'd be content in showing their ID, but you get all fucking anal about it.

C: I've never needed to show my ID, why now?
You: Okay, who rented to you without ID? I'll be reporting them.

Right there you've lost them. Suddenly you are more interested in getting these "other" employees in trouble then helping this guy understand you are just asking for identification because... YOU'VE NEVER MET HIM!

And now you're telling him you want to get all his favorite employees in trouble? Smart move. I mean, maybe you should put a note on his account, "Please tell this customer that Janice was given a verbal warning for renting without ID and Mark was written up." Because damn, I'm sure he's hella interested.
  #169  
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Adornedatom's Avatar
Adornedatom Adornedatom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteice View Post
That response always pissed me off. The "Who rented to you? I'll REPORT THEM!" I doubt anyone actually says that to the customer. I'm positive in fact because I've had another employee use that same line when joking around about customers without ID. I had been telling him about some asshole, this was over a year ago, and he told me, "That's when you stop and ask the customer who rented to him and that you'll report that person."

First off, why would the customer know/remember? Second, you can just look up the history and see the ID of said employees and who is renting. It's like, more useless information to say to a customer. It sounds all fancy when you say it to other employees... "LOL, so I told the guy, 'you tell me who rented to you then and I'll make sure he's dealt with'!" But really... what the fuck? Most people just say, "Sorry, we can't look up accounts without ID" and then make sure all employees know this policy after the customer has left. No need to get the customer involved in policies that affect employees more so.

And the whole, "Do you need directions?" line... what the fuck? I don't mind if an employee says, "Have a good night" or "Thanks for stopping in" after someone announces they're going to Hollywood but don't be a fucking smartass. That guy was RIGHT in saying that to you. I mean, you were being a smartass, when all you had to do was politely explain a fucking policy about needing to see his ID to rent.

Let me break it down for you: there are customers who rent ALL The time and certain employees know them by name because they come in once a week for YEARS. Then they check out from another employee, some new asshole (like you) and they do what they've always done... they'd be content in showing their ID, but you get all fucking anal about it.

C: I've never needed to show my ID, why now?
You: Okay, who rented to you without ID? I'll be reporting them.

Right there you've lost them. Suddenly you are more interested in getting these "other" employees in trouble then helping this guy understand you are just asking for identification because... YOU'VE NEVER MET HIM!

And now you're telling him you want to get all his favorite employees in trouble? Smart move. I mean, maybe you should put a note on his account, "Please tell this customer that Janice was given a verbal warning for renting without ID and Mark was written up." Because damn, I'm sure he's hella interested.
It's an actually a very effective way of ending the customers line of reasoning. You're not actually going to get anyone in trouble, since you'd have to prove the customer wasn't saying that just to get specialist treatment. However by telling the customer that you're going to get someone in trouble for serving them without ID then they longer have any justified reason to demand specialist treatment.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  #170  
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM
igniteice's Avatar
igniteice igniteice is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seahaven Island
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adornedatom View Post
It's an actually a very effective way of ending the customers line of reasoning. You're not actually going to get anyone in trouble, since you'd have to prove the customer wasn't saying that just to get specialist treatment. However by telling the customer that you're going to get someone in trouble for serving them without ID then they longer have any justified reason to demand specialist treatment.
I always figured the fact that YOU aren't renting to them without ID pretty much gives them reason enough. I mean, it's not like they say, "Oh I drove here for nothing without my ID" and go home and next week they come back in without ID hoping this other "mystery" person is working so they can rent without ID. That's stupid.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:36 AM.


vBulletin Version 3.7.1
© 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.