I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Archive

Unread August 23rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
IHBB GOD

I use the "Nuh uh" tactic.

cust: Oh, but the other guy always does that for me!
me: Nuh uh.
cust: Yes he does!
me: Does not.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
IHBB GOD

Damn HK, that's what I do too ;-)

I just had a woman argue like that with me the other day...

C: And that application will be ripped up when I return the movie, right?
Me: No...
C: After I return the movie?
Me: No
C: Why not?
Me: It's a contract; we have to keep it.
C: Well... I'll be having it ripped up when I come back.
Me: I don't know how, but OKAY.

Or the guy who was arguing with me about a movie we carried...

C: What happened to all your copies of Team America unrated version?
Me: Hrm?
C: You guys used to have the unrated version.
Me: Nope...
C: Yeah, you did.
Me: Uh, no, we didn't.
C: You did - I rented it just two weeks ago from you.
Me: I don't know how you did that, because we've never carried the unrated version.

Or the lady who told me she returned her movie on time...

C: I returned that movie ON TIME.
Me: Nope, it came back 3 days late.
C: No it came back on time - I remember when I dropped it off.
Me: Okay it was checked in from our drop box right over there and it was 3 days late.
C: No, one of your employees obviously took it out and held on to it for a few days. (I kid you not - she said this.)
Me: Uh, no, I personally checked your movie in - my ID number is next to the checkin.

Later on after we charged her CC (that was a fun conversation) she was all, "I don't know what kind of employees you have working there! You people..." I posted the story about her in some thread - probably my tribute thread, cuz she deserved a tribute.

That reminds me also! Twice, a few months ago, I had customers claiming I had rented to them. They'd be talking to my CSR, right - and trying to rent without ID (and I think one of them didn't even have an account.) I'd come walking up to the front and my CSR would be in this, "I can't rent to you" conversation and they'd point at me and say, "He knows who I am!" I look at my CSR with this, "What the fuck?" look on my face. I'd never seen these people in my life!
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteice View Post
Enough of that fucking "I'm going to get my other employees in trouble" crap!

I just explained to Nudedos why that's quite possibly the stupidest line ever to say to a customer, so it makes little sense to repeat myself here. But basically, you're basically telling the customer that you suddenly don't care about bringing up their account to rent to them - you care about getting your employees in trouble. Now, just asking, "Oh, who?" I wouldn't be commenting on that. But the whole, "I need to know because I need to write them up," That's such bullshit... it's along the same lines of when a customer calls up and asks you casually, "Do you have this movie in stock?" and you say "Yeah" and they ask, "How many do you have?" Telling them is bullshit - it doesn't HELP them or HURT them, it's just useless information they don't need to know. Customers don't need to be involved with employee matters or store information.

I mean, do you think I find out who is breaking policies at my store by asking customers? "Sir, I'd like to know the names of all my employees who didn't meet this criteria when checking you out... did John pre-auth your credit card sir? Did Mary comment your name?" "I'll be writing up whoever didn't."
It's not necessarily involving them in anything. Some people say things like that to call customers on their BS.

-"Oh, well, the last person let me do it!"
-"Really? Well let me know who it was and I'll make sure they don't do it again, since we're not meant to."
-"Oh, well... I don't know... maybe I'm thinking of that other place, actually... err..."
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHailstorm View Post
It's not necessarily involving them in anything. Some people say things like that to call customers on their BS.

-"Really? Well let me know who it was and I'll make sure they don't do it again, since we're not meant to."
-"Oh, well... I don't know... maybe I'm thinking of that other place, actually... err..."
Don't get me wrong - it's not the "Who did that?" that bugs me - it's the "Who did that so I can report them," that irritates me. Just seems so out of place and something I've never heard any employee say in 2 years - and that's a lot of employees branching 2 different stores a year at a time.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I don't use it to get other employees in trouble, far from it. I seriously doubt half the time the customer is being truthful about the matter, its just about the fact they are trying to pull me in with the, "Its ok, they do it all the time, I'm special" BULLSHIT. Say in which case, which has never happen btw, they do point someone out, it would be a laugh later on and far from writing them up.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - it's not the "Who did that?" that bugs me - it's the "Who did that so I can report them," that irritates me. Just seems so out of place and something I've never heard any employee say in 2 years - and that's a lot of employees branching 2 different stores a year at a time.
Well, no, I wouldn't see the point in just telling them for the hell of it. It sounds a little like "my dick is bigger than yours" mentality. Akin to going around telling people you have the power to lock the front door, etc.

Quote:
That reminds me also! Twice, a few months ago, I had customers claiming I had rented to them. They'd be talking to my CSR, right - and trying to rent without ID (and I think one of them didn't even have an account.) I'd come walking up to the front and my CSR would be in this, "I can't rent to you" conversation and they'd point at me and say, "He knows who I am!" I look at my CSR with this, "What the fuck?" look on my face. I'd never seen these people in my life!
Happens to me all the time. Of course, I'm really bad with faces, but I do think that, most of the time, they say, "she knows me" but actually mean, "I remember her". That's nice, I see 300 of you people a day, you only have to see 1 of me...

I do delight in saying, "Errr... no I don't", and watch them storm out, though.

And to the people that I do know, if they have the cheek to do something like that, I tell them they should always bring card or ID since someone who knows them may not be around. Not actual friends, just regulars who think part of our initiation of new staff involves showing them pictures of all the regulars and getting them to memorise their names.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Well, no, I wouldn't see the point in just telling them for the hell of it. It sounds a little like "my dick is bigger than yours" mentality. Akin to going around telling people you have the power to lock the front door, etc.
Yep yep - you hit the nail on the head there. In fact, that's basically what I was TRYING to get at. You took the words right out of my head and said it better then I could. Saying, "I'll report whoever looked you up without ID," to a customer is like going up to someone after close and saying, "I'm going to be closing all the tills in 30 seconds and running daily so find your movies please." Instead, you could just say, "Oh, whoever checked you out without ID shouldn't have," and "We closed about 5 minutes ago, did you need help finding something in particular?"

Quote:
And to the people that I do know, if they have the cheek to do something like that, I tell them they should always bring card or ID since someone who knows them may not be around. Not actual friends, just regulars who think part of our initiation of new staff involves showing them pictures of all the regulars and getting them to memorise their names.
Definitely! I try to tell all regulars that - especially movie pass customers who "forget" to hold on to their movies and then just give us their name.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgniteIce
I pre-auth EVERYTHING. You should too. It will save you THOUSANDS of dollars in bad debt over the months. I kid you not.
If it were my decision, I would LOVE to have 100% credit card coverage on all accounts and pre-auth anyone renting more than 3 movies at a time.

However, since we live in hickville, many with bad credit don't have cards yet still want to rent (since they also can't afford to buy movies considering their lack of credit and low income jobs). We have to bend to their will, taking bills, pay stubs, and all that shit.

Sure, I may have 1900 actives instead of 2000 actives by requiring credit cards, but I'd have almost ALL inventory returned or paid for. Our DL doesn't care, obviously, he cares about the here-and-now revenue, which will seague into my next post about our store's test marketing of adult videos.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
That is what he should of done. Because if the customer comes back and insist he paid, it might cause an investigation of theft. Next thing you know the LP Nazis will show up. You don't need to create that kind of headache just to prove a point.
Good point. However the customer was out the door by the time I saw the money. I'll even admit that the money was next to my register for the longest time after I found it, and I was totally tempted to keep it. I figured the till was the best place for it, and since it was only $2, if he puts up a large enough argument, the CSR who has him next will credit it anyways, and inform him that he should wait in line, or pay his fees next visit.
Unread August 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via Yahoo to URBAN_COWBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoying Customer View Post
Good point. However the customer was out the door by the time I saw the money. I'll even admit that the money was next to my register for the longest time after I found it, and I was totally tempted to keep it. I figured the till was the best place for it, and since it was only $2, if he puts up a large enough argument, the CSR who has him next will credit it anyways, and inform him that he should wait in line, or pay his fees next visit.
it's still theft. doesn't matter what you did with it. You did not use the money for it's intended purpose. You can and should be fired for it.

"Girl, you're making me harder than chinese algebra."-Craig Shoemaker

Cowboy, I'm all yours Always have been, always will! -WrongHeaven

Royal Executioner