I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMan View Post
No one hates you. But you STILL didn't answer the question.

Sort of like the person that claimed that their store was "in the top-10" in their district.

Well, I should hope so, esp if you have a 10-store district
Yeah, we have about 10 stores, and were 2nd, atleast my SM told me this. Only one in our city and well placed as the only movie store on one side of the bridge. Other side has Movie Gallery. I worked at another store in the district before I moved to this one and we always had more staff at the other, at least on shift. Now at the PC one, we always are short handed. You'd think since we are busier, we would have more free hours but yet, no.
Unread September 5th, 2006, 12:44 AM
IHBB GOD

It was just me and a CSR last night. Slowest night i've worked in a while
Love each and every one of you. Thank you for years of great memories!!!!!!!
Unread September 5th, 2006, 12:57 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudedos View Post
Yeah, we have about 10 stores, and were 2nd, atleast my SM told me this. Only one in our city

See, this is why clear communication is so important.

Originally, you made it sound like you're the second busiest store in your city. Since you are the ONLY store in your city (as we have now learned), being 2nd busiest wouldn't be much of an accomplishment.

And it's great to be 2nd in the District, but it still doesn't necessarily mean a lot. I mean, if you are in the worst district in the company, and are #2, does that mean that much or does that just mean you are in the top 7992 stores??

Like I said before, no one's pissed at you, just trying to get more information to qualify your statements.

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread September 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
You might be surprised that it won't be that busy, people have to go back to work tomorrow. Now Sunday was busy. I figure tonight will be like a regular Sunday night.
You've got to be kidding me.

I worked the Tuesday after Labor Day, had Labor Day off, came in to work after my classes and the CSM I was relieving said it was CRAZY-busy on Labor Day.
Unread September 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM

My store situation...

I must really lay down to everyone what is going on at my store and in my district in Chicago.

First of all, my store manager goes on vacation every other week, and she rarely works a full weekend and NEVER works over her 40 hours, so the store is in complete disaray. And she doesn't care.

I started at my store in July. This is the 6th store I have worked at in three years with Blockbuster. When I started at the new store, I noticed quickly just how scatterbrained my manager was and how unorganized everything was.

Within the month, we had our first inventory at the store, and shrink was high. The manager and I had discussed the possibility of the theft being internal, and I had stressed that one of her managers was suspected stealing from the previous store she worked. I then looked up her name in the system and discovered she had been giving credits to herself under her family's account. I showed my discovery to the manager (whom should have seen this earlier), and she then contacted loss prevention to get the ball rolling on an investigation. Within two weeks, the person was fired. Then the chopping block went to another keyholder, who promptly quit, and another csr left with her. These sudden changes widdled down the staff to four, so what does my manager do? Hire?? NO - she takes a VACATION!!!

I'm not kidding! The manager left the store to THREE employees for ONE FULL WEEK!!!!

Oh, it gets better...

After she comes back from her first vacation, she freaks because the district manager is on her about why the b.s.i. section is not converted, so she intends to make this the priority, which basically means it's handed over to me to get it done. She has not worked one minute on the conversion. Also, she then pushes aside all other tasks, such as weekly pulldowns and price changes, just to get the conversion done. She still has not hired anyone. Weekly pulls are left to the last minute (if done at all). Price changes, what are they??? Meanwhile, we get further and further behind. And she's too scatterbrained to even focus on the task at hand, the conversion. And God forbid she work over to get some of it done, she's not paid enough! Oh, by the way, by this point we have also run out of basic supplies like computer paper and bags. She says she ordered them...

So, anyways, a couple of weeks go by, she does hre a new girl the first week of September, then it's time again for another vacation. No training for the new employee, still no computer paper, no bags, no Rewards cards to sell, and we are almost out of register tape paper.

The only problem is, the new girl has only taken the tests on the Compass, she hasn't had any experience. Oh, and of the three left employees is at a wedding in New York. Also, one day before she does the schedule, the third employee leaves her a note saying her personal life is too stressed at the moment and she needs three or four days off. Now, if you were manager, would you leave the store to ONE person, especially during a HOLIDAY weekend (Labor Day)??? Well, beleieve it or not, she did!!!

Oh, and we ran out of register tape!

Great job! She really knows how to manage, huh?

I felt so bad for the new employee. On Sunday, she came in for her brief shift (she was originally only scheduled for 4 hours) to get trained, only to be asked to stay for a full 11 hour day!!! Then, on for her second day, the manager had completely revised her schedule and failed to tell her, so she had to work another 11 hours on Monday (in at noon, worked until almost 11), and it was a holiday weekend, rainy outside, and extremely busy. There was no way for her to be properly trained. I'm surprised she didn't just walk out the door.

I, meanwhile, worked 14 hours that day, and that was after 10 hours on Sunday, and had to come in at 7am Tuesday just to do the new release wall because there was absolutely no time to do it on Monday. Not only that, I had to spend my non-work time running all over the city trying to get register tape. I also went to Osco and bought computer paper, rubber bands, binders, paper clips, pens, and any other small supplies we needed. And any spare time at work was spent trying to call other stores to try and get some help, something that is a complete waste of time during the holiday weekend and a complete waste of time within my district since it seems like nearly every store is poorly managed.

Oh, on Monday I ordered register tape, computer paper, and bags. I also ran a ESO report to see what had been ordered before (remember, she said she ordered bags and computer paper), but NOTHING had been ordered!!!

NOTHING!!!!

N O T H I N G ! ! ! ! !

On Wednesday, she called the store at 3pm to see how things were going. I let her know that I was completely LIVID with her and why. She hung up the phone on me!

That's okay, because the district manager now knows what happened, and he also knows she did not order the supplies.

I hope she's spending the rest of her vacation looking for a new job.
Unread September 8th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to DAntiheroJ
The only thing I can say from my experience... NEVER spend your own money on any supplies, do a disbursment first or never see your money again!!!!
Unread September 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I did do a disbursement - I'm not stupid! It's just the fact that I had to run all over the city on my spare time to do it that's upsetting. If I were manager, it would be no big deal - that's a manager's job. But I'm not. And Blockbuster does not want me to even work over my time scheduled, which is about 35 hours a week, so my hands are tied.
Unread September 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I did do a disbursement - I'm not stupid! It's just the fact that I had to run all over the city on my spare time to do it that's upsetting. If I were manager, it would be no big deal - that's a manager's job. But I'm not. And Blockbuster does not want me to even work over my time scheduled, which is about 35 hours a week, so my hands are tied.
CTD=rock in a hard place. but, we have all been there. ask the franchise people that have to go buy their new release for rental tuesday mornings.

No matter how glib your situation is, you have a choice to make. you can keep on the keepin on, or you can quit. No one is asking you to do these things. you are doing them because you feel bad for your store, and you want to make your job eaiser. so kudos to you. but at the same time, the more you do these things, the more your lazy ass SM will just expect you to do it. People fall on their faces everyday. Its even more fun when you get to watch.

so just hang tight. it will all be over soon. just do your job, do the best you can with the limited help you have. and remember, its just a video store.
Unread September 8th, 2006, 11:09 AM
IHBB GOD

Yeah seriously - I have to make rental cover art for things like Nip/Tuck, Lost, Desperate Housewives because I buy them straight out. I have to first make photo-copies, and then I have to cut them out and use mass amounts of rubber-cement. Believe me, it takes a hell of a long time, and if you think I'm joking because it's just scissors and glue and arts and crafts, then you've probably gotten too used to just inserting the pre-made rental cover that gets sent to you by distribution.

Then one week when I went to Staples to make copies (39 cents for a very high-quality color copy) their machine was down, and the guy working there refused to use their machine because he was afraid it was against the law to make copies of this cover art ("I don't think I'm going to be able to make copies of those..." -- "Can I just do it myself then so you don't get in trouble?" -- "Ah, nope, this is a full service machine only back here.")

So then I had to drive 15 minutes across town to Office Max to make copies. Not only are there copies 30 cents more (69 cents) but their paper isn't as nice... damn them for being cheap.
Unread September 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I hoped you put in your time for these errands, and it doesn't matter what your supose to work. When doing things for BBI by law you have to get paid. And your hands are not tied, your manager probably doesn't even look at the time cards and if the question ever comes up tell them whats going on.
The top Poster!