I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 12th, 2006, 04:50 AM

How the hell do you fight a mystery shop?

I went in last night to drop off my movies and I found out that I blew our 'shop big time. 47%. I got marked off for:

He said I didnt greet.

He said I didn't ask if he found everything alright

He said I mentioned the online but did not attempt to educate or sell it.

He said I didn't acknowledge him with a friendly rejoinder as he left the store.

And he said that our storefront was dirty but I didnt have anything to do with that.

Normally I would just take the write up I had to sign and say screw it but something set off my bullshit detector. The shopper said I did not at all attempt to educate or sell the online. I was working with my store manager that evening and I actually did more onlines that night than I had in the past week and a half. I don't think I have ever mentioned the blockbuster online program without educating as my standard speech goes "Oh did you want to take home a free trial of the blockbuster online? You can get 3 movies mailed to you at a time and you get a free rental in the store every week!" or some variation thereof.

The more I think about it the more what he said doesnt make sense. Sometimes I will ask the same customer 2 or 3 times whether they found everything if I think I forgot to ask.

So guys let me know if there is a way I can dispute this.
Unread September 12th, 2006, 05:27 AM

You can try.

Your store manager can talk to the DM. However, I've never seen them actually change anything.

This is one of the issues with mystery shops in general. Our jobs are on the line from some uneducated asshat who is free to write down anything they wish. They are supposed to follow a strict set of guidelines but a lot of the shop remains a subjective thing as compared to an objective one.

I got marked off on my last shop for trash in the parking lot. The trash? Some dipshit had dumped his ashtray from his car in the parking lot right before the shopper got there so I lost points for it. I explained to the DM that we check the parking lot once an hour since we're a stand-alone store but the score never changed.

One of my sister stores was marked off because his wall was in disarray. I know the store manager there. He is one of the most anal people about the condition of the NR wall I've ever met. He even wet-wipes all of the shelves every week. I've NEVER been in his store where the wall wasn't surgically neat. Yet, he was marked off for it. And there's no way to fight this.

I was makred off on a different shop for employees being engaged in unproductive activites. They were playing a videogame. The issue? That system is a TRADE and we are SUPPOSED to play them to ensure they work. The person doing the trade had a question about the system and was chatting with the other employee about it while playing it. All perfectly legitmate. I protested that one too. I never got the points back.

On yet another shop *I* was shopped and lost points for not informing of due dates. My line with customers is standard and never varies. "Your due dates are on the receipt. Thanks for coming in and enjoy your movies (games)."

"Due dates are on the receipt" is perfectable acceptable according to the guidelines of the shop...but the shopper maked me off because I didn't state that her copy of "Man on Fire" was due back on X date. I didn't get the points back for that either.

You are fucked. You're going to get written up. Sorry...but your chances of fighting this and winning are just about zero.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. -Richard Dawkins from The God Delusion

SPAY AND / OR NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS: Please watch this...
Clicky
Unread September 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Our manager figured out who our shopper was by printing out a report and compairing it to previous shop times/dates. Anyway, on our last shop we got the same results (which is why he investigated it) and you can clearly see that the guy is talking on a phone during the entire transaction. I know that we have been doing a much better job of trying to get good scores. The one before this one we got a 100%.

I don't think that the score should be allowed if the mystery shopper is on the phone and we can prove it. Often I won't say a word during the whole transaction if the customer is on the phone. On the other hand, sometimes I will talk over them and say what I need to whether they are listening or not. This topic has been covered before....but it is rude as hell for someone to talk on the phone while in line or being waited on.

The mystery shoppers are getting paid to do this, and they shouldn't be allowed to give us bad scores and get us in trouble by our managers when it is their lack of attention that is the problem.

Obviously they don't have good skills to begin with or they would have a real job anyway. Not one that rates another persons performance, which is based only on thier judgement.

Mystery Shoppers cannot be 100% accurate in what they see for the short time they are in our store. It is not always a snapshot. There are so many variable factors in the days operations. You could have three people working; one person just went on break, the DL just called the MOD to do something "right now" in the back room, the phone starts ringing and the CSR (me) has to go find a movie on the shelf for the phone guy, do a new membership and answer another persons question about a return in the dropbox and then take some kid to the bathroom. No GREETING! Then the dumbass mystery shopper comes to the line and had to wait for me to return from the back of the store (where the bathroom is) and is ON THE PHONE! Gimme a break. This situation would have been the ONLY time that night that things got a little crazy and they want to fail me for bad service?

As far as I am concerned anyone that manages to do all of this at one time deserves to get a 100% for meeting the needs of all the people I helped at one time. Sorry to ramble on, but I believe we should be able to dispute a mystery shop when we know it's a lie, my manager is showing the tape to our DL.

I really want to do a good job all of the time and it is embarassing to get a bad score the day you worked because everyone thinks you goofed off.
Unread September 12th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I personally can't stand MS. I got shopped for the first time, and we got a 95. It was also because we got 10 bonus points for email? if I remember correctly. Well, she, and I know who she was, marked us off for the floor. Every time she hits us, she says our floor is a mess and it isn't. We even clean it every 30 minutes now, yet she still finds it a mess. I hate MS just because of all the "maybes", you can never be sure what your going to get, even if you try your best.
Unread September 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM
IHBB GOD

I was ms shopped, they had my description but the name of someone who was fired 2 years ago. And I had my name tag on. Figure that out. Some of these shoppers are very anal and others are lazy. Just like all companys you get good and bad.
The top Poster!
Unread September 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebell View Post
Our manager figured out who our shopper was by printing out a report and compairing it to previous shop times/dates. .......

The mystery shoppers are getting paid to do this, and they shouldn't be allowed to give us bad scores and get us in trouble by our managers when it is their lack of attention that is the problem.

Obviously they don't have good skills to begin with or they would have a real job anyway. Not one that rates another persons performance, which is based only on thier judgement.
I'm surprised your manager was able to ID the shopper by comparing last shop to the new shop, since the shoppers are not allowed to shop consecutive shops...ie, if shopper A shops during the current round of shops, the system will not allow them to sign up for the next series of shops. Would think, since it's 2 different shoppers, it would be hard to ID the person. Now that you are aware of the fact that 2 different shoppers gave your store the same shit score, you may want to look at your store's employees instead of talking shit about the shoppers. Honestly, the shoppers have limited questions to answer on the forms...i.e. how many employees; were you greeted AT ANY TIME (including when you walk up to the register) while in the store (not just as you walk in); a list of options of what were employees doing - like helping customer at register, doing paperwork, running movies, eating, standing around talking; were employees in proper attire; info about online; and the due dates and bye bye question.

I'm sorry, but you give the shoppers wayyyyy too much credit. The fact is, sometimes the store gets the score it deserves. I went to my local store the other night...3 employees standing behind the registers eating. 1 other customer in the store. They all looked at me and looked away. Nobody said a word. One emp walked past me while I was looking at a movie. Went to ask her a question. She looked at me and walked by. About 2 feet from me she starts talking to her co-workers about the plan for after close. I got my movie, went to the register. By this time, more customers were in teh store, so the eating had stopped and they were "helping" customers out - barely. I go to the register. Guy takes my movie and card and says nothing...he rings me up, looks at me again and says nothing. By now, I'm irked...I asked him for my total, simply because he didn't give it to me and hasn't said shit yet. HE TURNS THE THING TO SHOW ME MY TOTAL. (sorry, been a while since i worked at the big blue, can't remember what it is called!! ) I gave up...told him it was debit and ran my card thru. walked to the door and took my movie. he said have a good night...the only fucking thing he said to me!!!!!! Now, as a mystery shopper, what kind of rating would you give that shit service?? Out of everything listed on the MS form, he did one when he said have a good night. THat's it!! Guess what, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one on here right now bitching about the shitty score they got from that mystery shopper without "good skills"

BTW, I'm a paralegal in another life, working on my law degree now and staying at home with my newborn and 4 year old. Pretty intelligent, pretty aware of good customer service - have worked in that area in all jobs since high school - 16 years ago.

Point is, sometimes, ya got to just admit...you fucked up and did a shitty job. Stop trying to blame somebody else.

Gotta go get hubby to the doc...so, my rant is over. I'll come back and reply to the gun shots I hear coming back at me later.

See, Sar and Zoo, no spam!!!

don't have time to proof...sorry!

TURTLE IS A WELL KNOWN, WELL RESPECTED, AND MUCH LIKED CONTRIBUTER TO THESE FORUMS AND SHOULD BE PROMOTED TO ROYAL STATUS ASAP.
Thanks to the Royal Sugar Pants from the Royal Ninja Tortoise!!

Royal Ninja Turtle...aka the Royal Tortoise
Unread September 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
I was ms shopped, they had my description but the name of someone who was fired 2 years ago. And I had my name tag on. Figure that out. Some of these shoppers are very anal and others are lazy. Just like all companys you get good and bad.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

TURTLE IS A WELL KNOWN, WELL RESPECTED, AND MUCH LIKED CONTRIBUTER TO THESE FORUMS AND SHOULD BE PROMOTED TO ROYAL STATUS ASAP.
Thanks to the Royal Sugar Pants from the Royal Ninja Tortoise!!

Royal Ninja Turtle...aka the Royal Tortoise
Unread September 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Oh boy do I ever have a story for this subject. About a year ago, we figured out who our mystery shopper was. I don't really know how, but somehow our SM figured it out. So, I'm working on a Saturday night, and the mystery shopper comes up to the register with three movies. I bring up her account and a HUGE warning pops up saying "POSSIBLE MYSTERY SHOPPER!!!!!!!!!" so, of course I make sure to ask if she found everything all right, I offer her TWO promotions, I read off the titles and tell her when they are due, and as she's walking off, I make sure to say "Have a nice day." Afterwards I write down the customers information, when they came in, what I said, and everything else I can think of, and I keep the information.

Sure enough, a month later, we get our mystery shop results back, and sure enough the time and date of the shop matches up with the customer. And how much stuff did we get marked down for? A whole hell of a lot. The damn b*tch said that I didn't offer her any promotions when I went above and beyond and offered her two promotions, and I guess acording to her, saying "Have a nice day" means the same thing as "Go to hell." I dispute it big time, and even fax the notes I took to the DL, and it doesn't change a damn thing.

After that incident, I just stoped carring about mystery shop scores. Next time I ring that lady up, I am flat out going to ask her "So, are you here on a mystery shop?" and if I ever do get written up for failing a mystery shop, I am not going to sign the write up and just write that I refuse to pout my name on a lie. And if you're wondering why the b*tch would lie about a mystery shop score, it's because she had a legitimate late fee, and the manager wouldn't take it off for her.
Unread September 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I must say, my mom invited me to a Mystery Shop at a local(To her) grocery store. I went with her since I hadn't seen her in a few weeks, and I also needed some groceries.

We went to eat, discussing what she needed to do and what she wanted me to look out for.

We did the shop and everyone did what they were supposed to. The employees were great and very punctual, they knew what they had to do to every person and they did it. Amazing service.

She gave them a very high score, seeing as how we didn't see anything wrong. She even gave a few names a little extra credit, just because they put in the extra effort.

If people get bad mystery shops, it's probably because you're not doing everything you're supposed to. That, or the MS'r has a personal vendetta against you...

Andrew-
Unread September 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM
IHBB GOD

[quote=Ridge;Next time I ring that lady up, I am flat out going to ask her "So, are you here on a mystery shop?" .[/quote]
Did that one time and they never came back as a shopper. When they are discovered they have to change people. I will never sign a write up from a MS because I don't believe a 3rd party has the right to judge us when they know nothing about working here.
The top Poster!