I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM

For those who have escaped...

Some store managers have gotten out, many are looking to get out. if you have left blockbuster and started managing for another retail company, where have you gone and do you like it? looking for some tips on other retailers that are good to work for.(pay/benefits/scheduling/treatment of employees-yes! i forgot what its like to work for a company that cares about their staff)
Unread February 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM

I worked for bb for almost 6 years before finding greener grass on the other side. I got a job with a volunteer organization that takes donations and sells them to raise money for homeless families.

I like it very much! I mentioned in other posts that they are closed on holidays(paid of course) sick time and vacation time, floating holidays and I make almost 5K more than blockbuster.

I have 3 full-time assistant managers under me and I supervise anywhere from 10 to 20 employees per day. All we do is sell, but only what customers want. We do more business than any blockbuster in my old district. And all the money goes to help people out(not putting big bonuses in ceo's pockets.

The job market is very bad, but look into all avenues, you might be surprised! Best of Luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Dog For This Useful Post:
HelloItsMeMOM (February 11th, 2011), johnlow71 (February 8th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (February 9th, 2011)
Unread February 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM

I'm doing my best to get out. My franchise owners have been writing us bad payroll checks. Both mine and my fiance's check bounced. My employees checks are bouncing. They're closing our stores one at a time, claiming that everything's fine and it's "business as usual". Fuck that. Everyone, get out while you can. Corporate will NOT make it out of this chapter 11 filing. They WILL liquidate. We all know it. I'm finally waking up to it. My awesome job of over a decade is about to come to a close.
Unread February 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM

I quit Blockbuster before things got REALLY bad, back in late 2008, to join the U.S. Border Patrol. I made it through the accademy, scored a 98 on my Spanish final, got my badge and on my post in south Texas, and had to quit because I couldn't learn Spanish well enough to do my job.

Was unemployed for a few month before I got a job for Gallagher security and worked security for a few cool concerts like Kid Rock, Willie Nelson, the Greatful Dead, and the Broken Lizard crew, and a bunch of shitty techno concerts working the smoking section earning enough to pay for drive through on my way home.

Got a part time job selling stuff in the home electronics department of Sears, which was a nice job until the holiday season ended and they moved me to working 1 day a week in the shoe department for two months before they moved me back to the home electronics department.

I then got a full time job selling TVs for Pauls TVs when they expanded to Michigan. Got paid $12 an hour or commission whichever was greater, got health insurance paid for as well as all out of pocket health expenses up to $1000 a year. Did pretty good at the store I opened and got transfered to one of the busiest stores in the regon working for a bi-polar, hypocratic b*tch who made me hate my job. I got fired for violating a company policy that states "a sales persons monthly sales totals can not fall 20% below the store average"

Was out of work for a week, got hired in at the Pauls TV warehouse where I'm lugging around TVs instead of selling them, making almost as much money, still getting the health benefits and feel better about my job than I have.... ever.

So, if you're looking for a good company to join, and you live in Michigan, Boston, or California, try Pauls TV. It's a good company to work for as long as you don't have to work for a bi-polar, hypocratic b*tch. I also don't really have any complaints about Sears.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ridge For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (February 9th, 2011)
Unread February 8th, 2011, 10:54 PM

I hate those bitches who take physicians' oaths of ethical behavior.
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky me For This Useful Post:
abhorrent scowl (February 9th, 2011)
Unread February 9th, 2011, 03:55 AM
IHBB Freak

I saw the writing on the wall back in 2002. Now I own two video stores that are doing surprisingly well.
Unread February 9th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
I saw the writing on the wall back in 2002. Now I own two video stores that are doing surprisingly well.
If you don't mind, would you be able to reveal what your stores bring in each week versus your costs of staying in business. You can PM me if you want. If not, I understand. I was considering opening a store of my own here in Tennessee, but I have no idea what the earning potential is for an indie right now.
Unread February 9th, 2011, 06:13 AM

i managed to escape after 2 years. I work in loss prevention now. No more smiling and engaging the customer. just chasing them down and tackling them when they steal. Love it!
Unread February 9th, 2011, 07:35 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
I was an SL and got out in 2007. Finished school, took a year "off" working part time at a family owned grocery store (in the deli) and a chocolate shop. Didn't really like either of them. Then I came to the company I work for now, a non-profit for people with disabilities. I manage a group home for 4 gentleman, and besides the state regs (we're on a state line so we have 2 sets to follow), its a great place to work. Good money, good benefits, and great people. I have 4 staff under me and only 1 boss who I have a good relationship with. I started as the assistant manager there in summer 2009, and moved up to manager when the old one moved on in summer 2010.
Unread February 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
IHBB GOD

i work for Apple. great company to work for. they really take care of their employees.

=3