I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread November 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM

New Credit Machine Protocal

Anyone else doing the Beta for the new fangled credit card machines? Apparently, starting tomorrow (way to give us a heads up btw jackasses) the following will be in effect:

1. No more manual pre-auths (comp will automatically do it when a game is scanned)
2. No more manually entering CC info via the EDIT command (they swipe it)
3. All card commands (visa, mc, disc, gcard) will be under the CARD button
(we have always just hit VISA no matter what type of card it is...)
4. No longer will you have to type CARD AMOUNT enter when they're paying the full amount. Just CARD then enter. If they want a partial payment then CARD partial amount enter.
5. When running a card manually, comp will ask for billing zip and CVV code
6. gift card purchases will automatically take up to the full amount off of the card when swiped. If your balance is $10, and there is only $5 on the card, it will take that $5 off unless otherwise specified, eliminating the need for GBAL
7. For check cards (can be run as debit or credit) any purchases under $13 will automatically run as CREDIT. If over $13, they will have to enter their pin, unless they want it to run as credit, at which point they will have to hit cancel, then select credit.
8. No more Direct Access over the phone, since PA function will be disabled.

A lot of this sounds really great. I can see people being uber confused (employees as well...) but i will enjoy not having to type VISA 6.33, and instead just hit VISA. I'm prone to hitting digits one too many or few times, so this'll be like a built in error moderator. Number 7 bugs me, cause credit usually takes a day or so to go through, whereas debit takes it out right then and there.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Unread November 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM

1. No more manual pre-auths (comp will automatically do it when a game is scanned)
4. No longer will you have to type CARD AMOUNT enter when they're paying the full amount. Just CARD then enter. If they want a partial payment then CARD partial amount enter.
6. gift card purchases will automatically take up to the full amount off of the card when swiped. If your balance is $10, and there is only $5 on the card, it will take that $5 off unless otherwise specified, eliminating the need for GBAL

'Bout damn time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sobedrummer For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (November 2nd, 2010), Wundergurl007 (November 2nd, 2010)
Unread November 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphabalives View Post
Anyone else doing the Beta for the new fangled credit card machines? Apparently, starting tomorrow (way to give us a heads up btw jackasses) the following will be in effect:

3. All card commands (visa, mc, disc, gcard) will be under the CARD button
(we have always just hit VISA no matter what type of card it is...)
5. When running a card manually, comp will ask for billing zip and CVV code
7. For check cards (can be run as debit or credit) any purchases under $13 will automatically run as CREDIT. If over $13, they will have to enter their pin, unless they want it to run as credit, at which point they will have to hit cancel, then select credit.
8. No more Direct Access over the phone, since PA function will be disabled.

A lot of this sounds really great. I can see people being uber confused (employees as well...) but i will enjoy not having to type VISA 6.33, and instead just hit VISA. I'm prone to hitting digits one too many or few times, so this'll be like a built in error moderator. Number 7 bugs me, cause credit usually takes a day or so to go through, whereas debit takes it out right then and there.

Thoughts? Ideas?
nice of blockbuster to finally catch up with the times. All of that stuff has been in place at B&N for a while now. Except the under $13 dollar thing. That started maybe a month ago. Think it was new legislation passed for credit laws or something. And I think is specific banks so far. I buy my coffee every morning at the cafe, and its $2.64. I can still run debit for that.

The gift card function is nice. such a time saver. It think the gbal function will still have to exist so you can check balances before the transaction tho.
It just sounds like a different version of fast cashiering, which is what we run at b&n. It streamlines the transaction and gets the customer out the door sooner. Which they will appreciate after asking trying to upsell them everything under the sun.
Unread November 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM

i wish we were doing this.....
Unread November 1st, 2010, 10:47 PM
IHBB GOD

i hope this explains why the system was so SLOOOOW earlier today. it was frustrating.

how will creating new accounts work? is it also a SWIPE?

=3

Last edited by BUYMECAR; November 1st, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
Ninja (November 2nd, 2010)
Unread November 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
i hope this explains why the system was so SLOOOOW earlier today. it was frustrating.

how will creating new accounts work? is it also a SWIPE?
Well, actually there is a swipe involved....
When we create accounts now, it asks if you want to secure it, at which point they swipe their card if they want to.
Which is another place i foresee problems. We use our former live nation computer to create accounts so as to no tie up the ringup terminals...and it's the only comp that will print cards. But in the year i've been working here, we've never had to USE the pin pad attached to that comp since it's literally inside the entry way. I don't even know if it works/is connected. After the 6 hours we've spent talking to tech support so far the in the past week (thank you compass update) i don't want to have to talk to those people for a looong time.
Unread November 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
IHBB Freak

Creating new accounts does seem like there will be some downfalls for some employees...being, if they don't add it, it won't ever get added. Got a hard enough time getting employees to pa 1 for games, thank goodness it will be automatic now.

Any confirmation on this? I've got off today (a shocker, I know!) so is there a comm update?
Unread November 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
IHBB GOD

I like some of this stuff. Its very helpful
Unread November 2nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
IHBB GOD

# 3 lol exactly
Unread November 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphabalives View Post
We use our former live nation computer to create accounts so as to no tie up the ringup terminals...and it's the only comp that will print cards. But in the year i've been working here, we've never had to USE the pin pad attached to that comp since it's literally inside the entry way. I don't even know if it works/is connected. After the 6 hours we've spent talking to tech support so far the in the past week (thank you compass update) i don't want to have to talk to those people for a looong time.
There was a box office survey asking if your livenation/membership pinpad worked at some point in the past. Not sure what they did with that information or if they even used it...