I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread June 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo View Post
My husband has an interview for a store manager position. I was just doing some research and I found this site. Not a good sign!!!! I didn't know there was a whole site dedicated to how much people hate Blockbuster. Anyway..he got called for his 2nd interview and we're wondering how many interviews there are total? Anyone know? Also, what can he expect the pay to be? Shitty?? Thanks!
I have been a store manager for going on 5 years. It is not a very family friendly job. If you have a store that is fully staffed and very well trained, with all open availability, then, yeah your husband could leave at 6 every night. But there is a mandatory 45 hour work week. There are mandatory weekend shift requirements. and we work holidays. This is not a monday through friday hide in the back office job.

I don't hate my job. Or this company. In fact i am very happy here. I joined this site to find other people like me, share ideas, and vent just the same.
So it is personal preference.

There is a sliding payscale for store managers. It depends on the revenue size of the store. If it is a high volume store, the pay is greater, because the responsibility level is greater. I run a low volume store, and can still pay my mortgage on one income. if that gives you any idea.

don't let the people on this board scare you. Its a hard job, it is very demanding. but these days, a job is a job. and it is retail. so you have to weigh the good with the bad.
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A good asm View Post
I am always one to say dont knock it before you try it but, TRUST me and all of the other post that will probally follow, if you love your husband, do NOT let him get this job!!!
ignore this, a job is a job, work is work and some stores are still doing very well and have great coworkers. gl and ignore doom and gloomers as they enjoy misery at every chance
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 12:10 AM

A job should be just a job and yes some stores will do better than others, this is true, everyone is entitiled to thier say whether your husband should take this job or not and by all means if you feel to ignore us so called doomers and gloomers then feel free to do so.

Im sure not all blockbusters have the same problems but you know what, take it from some of us who are still employed here most tend to have the same problems. I don't know the financial situation but if your strapped for money then go for it and be prepared to more then likely find him looking for another job within a couple of months.

An old store manager of mine was told to put bbv first above her own 3 year old daughter who had just had some sorts of major operation. My sm had asked for a 2 week leave without pay to take care of her recovering daughter and the dms response was sure, you can take that leave, just dont come back.

This kinda response surely could have come from a dm of any company but you know what, why do many horror storys come from bbv? I would never consider moving up to a sm myself, as I have a baby to take care of myself and I value my family.

The question is does your husband value yours? I'd assume so and with that answer I hope he would not go to a company that does not value people as people but rather then selling machines and abusing sms to go above 45 hours many a time to cut down on labor.

Do you know what my dm does? if we are close to going over in hours, they will mandate the sm to come in on one of thier days off, how would that make you feel if your husband was one of those people.

In all honesty becoming a sm will unfortunitly give him a good possibility to become one of those people, so either listen to some people here who know whats going on or dont and he will enjoy the learning experience many of us go thru right now, and will most likely look for another job soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to A good asm For This Useful Post:
PilotKelson1056 (June 23rd, 2009)
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

Makes me so happy to be just a csr
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

Like others have stated, they take advantage of you. I work a full time job and do BBV as part time (puts me at 60+ hrs a week). My SM doesn't care and schedules me all the time. Anyway, I am working it because I need the money and the insurance (my FT doesn't offer it). So if you need the money then go for it, just keep yours eyes peeled for another opportunity, not sure when you'd have time for interviews though.
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
IHBB Freak

Honestly, I'm excited for your husband. I'm even surprised he landed an interview (no offense). All I'm saying, is the only thing you should have to worry about is your husband NOT getting the job, b/c with today's economy he's lucky to even get offered a decent job, with salary. Yes, it's hard work, yes it's demanding and might be even a little frustrating on the family, but just support him and be thankful, really.

Good luck on that interview for him though. I hope he makes it!

That's the "idiot tax". It's our fee for having to put up with your stupid questions.
And for everything else... there's Mastercard.
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Im a SM have been for years. I like the job, that being said there is one question your husband should ask if it isnt to late.

What stores are in the district? Then go to those stores and ask the staff how they like it, ask the SM from that store/s. Ask in a few locations.

I say this because I have a good DM. Some don't and in reality thats what its going to come down to a-lot of the "don't do it" comments are from people who had/have really bad District Managers the kind of people who shouldnt be in charge of anything including their own personal hygiene. There are quite a few bad DM's in my region, our district is lucky, most arent.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post:
BBukAM (June 23rd, 2009)
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
IHBB Freak

Does your husband enjoy hustling over priced products and services? Would he like outrageous goals placed on his staff each week? Would he enjoy being called and harassed everyday at work by the District Manager about sales numbers? Does he like imposing ridiculously confusing (to the customer anyway) store policies? Does he mind if the store policy changes almost every month or less? Does he have issues with working alone for long periods of time... without taking a break or getting to use the restroom? Is everything his fault no matter how hard he tries? ....

Does he like free movie rentals? Well if so! This is the job for him!

It's not all bad... but the company is in a declining tailspin. They are struggling to stay relevant.. and they don't have the slightest clue of how to accomplish this goal....

Good luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClutztomerControl For This Useful Post:
AfricahereIcome (June 25th, 2009), BUYMECAR (June 24th, 2009), johnlow71 (June 23rd, 2009)
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Im a SM have been for years. I like the job, that being said there is one question your husband should ask if it isnt to late.

What stores are in the district? Then go to those stores and ask the staff how they like it, ask the SM from that store/s. Ask in a few locations.

I say this because I have a good DM. Some don't and in reality thats what its going to come down to a-lot of the "don't do it" comments are from people who had/have really bad District Managers the kind of people who shouldnt be in charge of anything including their own personal hygiene. There are quite a few bad DM's in my region, our district is lucky, most arent.

Good luck.
This sounds pretty much spot on. I'd probably say, by the sounds of it, that things are a lot, LOT nicer over here in the UK.

But my God, the difference in District Managers is like the difference in speaking English or Russian. I'd agree that going to other stores and having a chat would be a fantastic idea.

Most people will be more than happy to be brutally honest about their DM.
Unread June 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBV4star View Post
Like others have stated, they take advantage of you. I work a full time job and do BBV as part time (puts me at 60+ hrs a week). My SM doesn't care and schedules me all the time. Anyway, I am working it because I need the money and the insurance (my FT doesn't offer it). So if you need the money then go for it, just keep yours eyes peeled for another opportunity, not sure when you'd have time for interviews though.
lol what job doesnt hehe