I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Bundles

We stopped in the BBV in the next town (actually next state since we love on a line) because Mr AD was looking for Buried in PRP (he could only find blu-ray dvd combos and he didn't want that). Well, we found it in the 2 for 20 bin. Only there was a sign taped over the 2 for 20 sign that said 2 for 23. I thought it was odd that I didn't hear about a price increase on IHBB, but I figured maybe they're a franchise or something. I happened to notice that the 4 for 20 sign also had a 4 for 25 sign over that.

So we get up to the register and since I know the pressure you guys are all under, I'm ready to get talked into a bundle or whatever else. Only they don't, they just tell Mr AD that since he got 2 PVDs, he gets a soda, candy, and popcorn for free.

I see what they're doing, so I ask them "what happens if we didn't want that stuff?" And they say we have to take it. So taking it a step further, ok, "can we just pay for it but not take it?" And they say nope, we have to. Now, since it was the 2 of us, I was more aiming for the $5 bundle, but here they are telling me I can't get that, I have to take the $3 bundle, and I can't just take my movies and get out. I knew the pressure was bad but didn't know it was that bad. And I really can't see how they make their bundle goals this way.

Like I said, I'm not even sure its a corp. Store.
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
We stopped in the BBV in the next town (actually next state since we love on a line) because Mr AD was looking for Buried in PRP (he could only find blu-ray dvd combos and he didn't want that). Well, we found it in the 2 for 20 bin. Only there was a sign taped over the 2 for 20 sign that said 2 for 23. I thought it was odd that I didn't hear about a price increase on IHBB, but I figured maybe they're a franchise or something. I happened to notice that the 4 for 20 sign also had a 4 for 25 sign over that.

So we get up to the register and since I know the pressure you guys are all under, I'm ready to get talked into a bundle or whatever else. Only they don't, they just tell Mr AD that since he got 2 PVDs, he gets a soda, candy, and popcorn for free.

I see what they're doing, so I ask them "what happens if we didn't want that stuff?" And they say we have to take it. So taking it a step further, ok, "can we just pay for it but not take it?" And they say nope, we have to. Now, since it was the 2 of us, I was more aiming for the $5 bundle, but here they are telling me I can't get that, I have to take the $3 bundle, and I can't just take my movies and get out. I knew the pressure was bad but didn't know it was that bad. And I really can't see how they make their bundle goals this way.

Yes I used to do the same and I was a corp. Store.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:

Oh, AD why are you giving them a hard time, sorry but that's the way I see it. Take the free stuff........
The top Poster!
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
I just wanted to see if they were forcing people into taking stuff they didn't want. I was nice about it the whole time, didn't even show them my hot-head side.

It wasn't free stuff. They raised the price of prp in order to meet bundle goals by including shit that some customers probably don't want. Honestly, we didn't want it (we were stopping by the grocery store on the way home anyway), but I was going to take it to help them out. I just think its a little skeevy the way they're going about it.
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
I just wanted to see if they were forcing people into taking stuff they didn't want. I was nice about it the whole time, didn't even show them my hot-head side.

It wasn't free stuff. They raised the price of prp in order to meet bundle goals by including shit that some customers probably don't want. Honestly, we didn't want it (we were stopping by the grocery store on the way home anyway), but I was going to take it to help them out. I just think its a little skeevy the way they're going about it.
Its call deceptive business practice and its coming to a town near you!

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
HelloItsMeMOM (April 2nd, 2011)
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
A little? Part of my applauds their creativity (although I am sure, based on experience, they didn't come up with the idea themselves), part of me wants... well, that part of me just shrugs, because it's EXACTLY what I expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Head View Post
Its call deceptive business practice and its coming to a town near you!

Coming? You must be new here That's been going on for DECADES.

--Helena Bonham Carter
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 09:38 PM

First off, call the customer care and report the store. I'd imagine this is under the direction of the DM and you can get one of our bad DM's possibly in a little trouble. This practice was supposedly put to a stop by corporate about a year ago.

Secondly, I don't see anything deceptive about the promotion. The company can bundle things together any way they see fit. If it is advertised and posted that the special is that, then what is deceptive about it? It isn't like it was advertised for 2 for $20 and now they are charging you 2 for $23.

When this idea first floated around the company, I use to only do this when we bumped it to 3 for $20 and 5 for $20 and we added the $5 bundle to it. Some stores were doing it all the time and even some were doing it as a $26 dollar deal so they got 2 bundles every time.

The company put a stop to this though because they were afraid that it was turning away customers who only wanted movies and not the bundle, as was your case. In my store, we never forced a customer to take it like they did with you. If the customer told us they were diabetic or just flat out didn't want it, we didn't make them take it and we didn't charge them for it either. Most people just saw the price and didn't read what all they got with it so they were pleasantly surprised to find they got the drinks, candy and popcorn with it and thought it was a great deal. When we stopped it, our PRP sales didn't go up but of course our bundle sales did go drastically down.

Funny thing is I actually got a couple customer complaints when we stopped it. We tried to explain they could still add the $5 bundle to it and still get what they were getting before and for the same price. I honestly had one lady tell me we should never have stopped doing it because she loved getting all the candy and drinks with it but now that she didn't have to get it she wasn't going to get it and that we should have kept making her get it. LOL

As much as I agree that the company doesn't know how to properly motivate stores and staff to achieve goals, I still disagree that 80 bundles a week is an unrealistic goal. I also disagree with the 3 no's routine and don't think you have to beg every customer to reach this number. If you just politely inform every customer about the bundles and politely upsell anyone who brings up atleast one of the components of a bundle, any store with 400+ actives a week should easily achieve the 80 goal this way more weeks than not.
Unread April 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
IHBB GOD

Didn't anyone check their receipt and see they do charge for the candy!

Totally report that store..omg that is just horrible like what mom said. I'm speechless....

This is almost like the rewards push drive. New customers had to pay $9.95 to sign up for a account.

Last edited by djblade; April 2nd, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Unread April 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post
The company put a stop to this though because they were afraid that it was turning away customers who only wanted movies and not the bundle
BLASPHEME!!! There is no such character known in the corporate Blockbuster universe. EVERY customer who walks in the door wants a bundle!
Unread April 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post

Secondly, I don't see anything deceptive about the promotion.
Shut the fuck up. Keep your comments to the people that don't see through double vision.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 3rd, 2011)