I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 22nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
IHBB GOD

Terminology at Your Store?

i just wanted to put all the bbv-bashing aside for once and have a fun discussion about words that you and your coworkers use to describe a common occurrence at your store.

9:45'er: despite being completely dead throughout the entire shift, there is a wave of customers that come in right before the store closes. they're sometimes moody, often don't know what they want and often refuse sales offers because they think it would be more of an intrusion to figure out what they want in their bundle (and they're probably right). these people are referred to as "9:45'ers".

i had a 9:45'er come in tonight to return Madden 11 and it was 10 days late. this, however, wasn't an issue. he wanted to know how much money he had put into that game. turns out he rented the game 3 times in a row and had a total of 18 late days. that means he's spent about $50 on renting the game for a grand total of 33 days.

the guy then tries to negotiate to keep it for a reduced price. i don't know how many times i said no but it didn't get to me until he said:

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT FROM THE BEGINNING"

i gave that motherfucker the most fierce, upset look i could conjure and, apparently, it worked. the guy takes two steps back, hits a standee, and hurriedly walks out the store.

*sigh*

fucking 9:45'ers.

=3
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 02:32 AM

It's the stoner crowd.
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
i just wanted to put all the bbv-bashing aside for once and have a fun discussion about words that you and your coworkers use to describe a common occurrence at your store.

9:45'er: despite being completely dead throughout the entire shift, there is a wave of customers that come in right before the store closes. they're sometimes moody, often don't know what they want and often refuse sales offers because they think it would be more of an intrusion to figure out what they want in their bundle (and they're probably right). these people are referred to as "9:45'ers".

i had a 9:45'er come in tonight to return Madden 11 and it was 10 days late. this, however, wasn't an issue. he wanted to know how much money he had put into that game. turns out he rented the game 3 times in a row and had a total of 18 late days. that means he's spent about $50 on renting the game for a grand total of 33 days.

the guy then tries to negotiate to keep it for a reduced price. i don't know how many times i said no but it didn't get to me until he said:

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT FROM THE BEGINNING"

i gave that motherfucker the most fierce, upset look i could conjure and, apparently, it worked. the guy takes two steps back, hits a standee, and hurriedly walks out the store.

*sigh*

fucking 9:45'ers.
A lady I used to work with called them the OH SHIT crowd because they realized, OH SHIT THE STORE IS CLOSING! and would rush up at the last minute.
The Following User Says Thank You to Damien Oujia For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (September 23rd, 2010)
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Oujia View Post
A lady I used to work with called them the OH SHIT crowd because they realized, OH SHIT THE STORE IS CLOSING! and would rush up at the last minute.
Hey at least they didn't have to open an account too! With no ID, no credit card, and recently moved . We close at midnight, so you can imagine that situation goes over like a fart in a tent at our store

Last edited by MamaSmurf; September 23rd, 2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: tooo early, and I can't type
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
Hey at least they didn't have to open an account too! With no ID, no credit card, and recently moved . We close at midnight, so you can imagine that situation goes over like a fart in a tent at our store
Oh, that happens all the time. The majority of our last customers of the day are shocked they need to have a membership to rent.
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
IHBB Freak

9:45ers? We used to call that "A Whole Days' Worth Of Business."

Seriously, I had a few:

Skidmark Steves- this being the dirty south, it's inevitable we'd have a whole bunch of methed up rednecks who drove pickup trucks. I don't know what it is, but it was almost a given, sure as the sky is blue, that they'd peel out and speed the fuck out of our parking lot.

Future Road Pizzas- same deal, different crowd. Our store is located right off the town's biggest major non-interstate road, and it was a straightaway. Meaning it was inevitable there's a whole lot of illegal street racing going on. And yes, sad but no-skin-off-my-ass, no-big-loss truth, a lot of them DID get injured, some killed, by doing it.

Puckered Assholes- we catered to a lot of rich people, considering our store was a block away from Rich Peopleville. These people literally own homes worth millions of dollars, and would do their absolute best to argue with you for almost an HOUR over a late fee of... thirty fucking cents? Their assholes were so tight, figuratively speaking, that yeah...puckered assholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
The Following User Says Thank You to deathbydanny For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (September 23rd, 2010)
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
IHBB Freak

We have 9:45ers, but it's 9:45 AM, not PM.

We open at 10, but we always get that little rush of people who, at 9:45, pull on the door, frown, step back, read the hours sign, and then try the door again just in case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Propoxy For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (September 23rd, 2010), sparklez631 (September 24th, 2010)
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM

9:45ers dont bother me as much as 9:59ers........ We'll be dead the whole last hour of business but for some reason I always have a person come in right at a minute before close.... hell last night I had a couple sit in their car till a minute before and then come in....

And no i will not close a minute early. It's posted we close at the time I will close at that time and all i can do is complain that we have people come in a minute before.
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
IHBB Freak

i rarely work a closing shift, but when i do, i will stare down a 9:45er until they feel an evil presence.

when they look around i'll turn my gaze and get back to work. I will deny deny until they believe that i was not staring them down.

for me it works. gets them focused on getting their stuff and moving on.

i wish i had funny terminology for stuff.
Unread September 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
IHBB Freak

The overall term we use for our customer base is the Devil's Rejects.

If you saw the movie, you know what I mean.
BUYMECAR (September 23rd, 2010), zooworker (September 23rd, 2010)