I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
It's true, BBI is the only company that charges for a reward program that I have seen in stores. Doesn't make sense.
1. Barnes and Noble
2. Books a Million
3. Amazon(Shipping Program)

Most rewards cards give you 10-20% off, while with Blockbusters its Rent 1 Get 1, plus a rental.

Buying my Reward card actually is the reason I begin working at Blockbuster.
Unread July 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of AtlanticVamp View Post
See, this was my pet peeve, too. If there are no autosales, don't fucking print the page! (At least prior to March 1, 2010.) If there are no trades, no sheet. If there are no new accounts. And so on.

Another big piece of shit waste was the binders. We got .pdf files of labels, separators, etc. for these things TO PRINT OUT, the binders themselves, to put in usually blank or nearly blank pieces of paper. The only binders that mattered were the Blue Book and the Trade Binders. The rest was shit. We already had filing cabinets, for fuck's sake!

Let's see, what else was wasteful...?

THROWING AWAY PERFECTLY GOOD MOVIES. Seriously, what. the. fuck.? I understood the Mandatory/Certified destroys, but the just "put it into an approved container" (ie., trash) destroys? I know they started to send them to online and to Walgreens----

Oh, yeah, y'all don't know about that! (or do you?) I went to Walgreens about a month ago, and they had a table near the register full of "previously-viewed" dvds. Guess whose labels were all over them? That's right; Big Blue!

----but up to that point, they decided to throw them away. Why? It's not good business to sell it for .99? Bullshit. At least they would have gotten something for it.

Oy.

Buying Sony flatscreens and PS3's for the kiosks, that's been another waste. Nobody bought shit from my old store off that. But they sure fucking stood there and watched it.

1. All companies are forced to destroy good product at some point. The current accounting used in the US for large companies makes sure of that.

2. Also remember that according to Blockbuster they have revenue share on movies. So if they have to give a studio 3.00 for selling a used movie but they are only getting 1.00 it is better to dispose of the product and lose nothing. This happens at big box places like target and walmart all the time.

3. Maybe Walgreens purchased them wholesale from a Franchise or other company. It is no secret that there has been lots of store closures, that product has to go somewhere.

4. When you get things like a game kiosk, bluray kiosk, etc. There is about 99% chance they got it for free and only had to pay for the install.
Unread July 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
IHBB Freak

nice to see you back blockbuster482
almondSM (July 1st, 2010), empbal (July 1st, 2010), Ghost of AtlanticVamp (July 1st, 2010), Knargles (July 2nd, 2010), zooworker (July 1st, 2010)
Unread July 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockbusterstore482 View Post
1. All companies are forced to destroy good product at some point. The current accounting used in the US for large companies makes sure of that.

2. Also remember that according to Blockbuster they have revenue share on movies. So if they have to give a studio 3.00 for selling a used movie but they are only getting 1.00 it is better to dispose of the product and lose nothing. This happens at big box places like target and walmart all the time.
1.& 2. Understood, and I know it's not just Blockbuster. H&M stores got in a PR shitstorm for throwing out perfectly good clothing. I didn't say it was just Blockbuster. I just said it was a waste.

Quote:
3. Maybe Walgreens purchased them wholesale from a Franchise or other company. It is no secret that there has been lots of store closures, that product has to go somewhere.
3. Yes, and this is one of the better moves they've made. I'm also including the mass exodus of games and Blu-Ray that had been shipped out before my departure as well. But good decisions like these are outweighed by wasteful ones.

Quote:
4. When you get things like a game kiosk, bluray kiosk, etc. There is about 99% chance they got it for free and only had to pay for the install.
4. But they still had to pay for additional electricity to run them, the installation, and maintenance. How good is a freebie if it still costs you in the end? Plus, in my old store, we lost revenue in the end, thanks to people camping out and watching movies, then "oh, well, you already let us look at it for free." That happened when I worked there.

But I am glad to see you back BB482. Nothing like a little lively discourse.
Unread July 1st, 2010, 09:14 PM
IHBB GOD

Did you guys watch the new message of the week video?

corporate has something REALLY INTERESTING TO SAY! Dead serious. It seems Doug wants to help the employees. He has gather a lot of information about employees stressing over sales goals and DM not coaching good. How they are just yelling and threating us most of the times for goals and crap. Even store managers have to say just to meet the goals. Doug mention this and made some clear points. It seems if your DM/RDO threatens, there going to get slap in the face lol. I'm not sure how this will work out ...lol
Unread July 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
IHBB GOD

just wanted to say that we finally did receive some receipt paper. if it's an issue with the DM, i can understand this seeing as how our DM is pretty new.

and thanks for confirming our concerns on the paper waste in this company, BBV482! the trash cans outside of our store fill up on two things: starbucks and receipt paper.

when we didn't have receipt paper, a good chunk of our customers confessed they just throw them away anyway.

so yes, i feel this is a necessary change!
Unread July 2nd, 2010, 03:37 AM

ha so the man has return, i honestly didnt expect you to show . I got blamed for you not showing your face here. You never answer my pms or my calls just so we can talk. Which made me call out your bullshit. Now I am not here blaming you for what happen to me, i never said this

I just ask you tell Wanda Lenoard my DM and Kevin from LP. "This is not over" i will always be here calling you out. Will be a thorn in your ass, a tick on your pooch. I wont disappear

and the rest that want to slander me since your best friend is back... You know their bullshit and that I am right. I invite you to prove me wrong.. the thing is you cant and you know it

Last edited by Flantanella; July 2nd, 2010 at 03:58 AM.
Unread July 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM

Damn it if Blockbuster482 isnt the Raw GM then who is??

I swear to god if its Jim Keyes and he ruins my wrestling im gonna be PISSED

"John Cena, we really need you to put over these confection bundles, and we want you to wrestle "El Grande Pickle" in a Pickle on a Pole match"
Unread July 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
Did you guys watch the new message of the week video?

corporate has something REALLY INTERESTING TO SAY! Dead serious. It seems Doug wants to help the employees. He has gather a lot of information about employees stressing over sales goals and DM not coaching good. How they are just yelling and threating us most of the times for goals and crap. Even store managers have to say just to meet the goals. Doug mention this and made some clear points. It seems if your DM/RDO threatens, there going to get slap in the face lol. I'm not sure how this will work out ...lol
Yeah right, since when has BBI cared about it's lower employees. Shit rolls downhill, and it starts with Keyes. To many good people have been lost already and they expect the current replacements to bring the company back, Corp you should have listened to your experienced help instead of getting rid of a lot of them. Hell most have been in the field longer than upper management. You say you listen but do you really hear them?
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
Flantanella (July 2nd, 2010)
Unread July 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Huh a good MOW? I doubt it. I am interested in what Doug has to say about threatening DM's though. I know many a good SM who have left because of threatening DM's, I know they are under a lot of pressure, there are good DM's who channel that pressure into a positive work environment, but few have that ability. I have been through 4 DM's in one year so I know the difference between a good one and a bad one.

Since corporate is listening again, SM moral is at an all time low, many of us have been around for a long time and are sickened by our leaders in Dallas accepting a bonus and no increases in compensation, no bonus etc. for us field workers in years. However we are paying more substantially for insurance. The employees who are still around are the ones who are stuck economically (for instance I am in an area whose unemployment rate is hovering around 15 percent). If the economy picks up the good employees will be gone, now that we know how this company treats us in a recession.