I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 2nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
IHBB GOD

Also, it's pretty ridiculous to say that vinyl records are "not going anywhere fast." Technically, yes, they're still around, and a certain subset of audiophiles enjoy them. But they're not how people get their music today. CDs aren't even how people get music today. Music is downloaded or streamed.

BluRay and DVD might not be going away anytime soon either. But they're going to become as marginalized as CDs, once the MPAA gets its head out of the sand, revises its position on copyright law, and allows Netflix et al. to carry large catalogs. There will be NO physical successor to BluRay. It is the end of the line. They'll TRY super-HD stuff, but none of it will catch on, because with the digital age we've come to the point where only a subset of consumers, like the vinyl fans, will be interested in collecting hard copies of their movies.

Will there be video stores in the future? Sure! Will any of them be Blockbuster, or any other national chain? Of course not. That will not be sustainable moving forward. That model is gone. There may still be vinyl and CDs, but are there Sam Goody or Tower Records stores? There are not. If you get vinyl and CDs, you get them from indie places or from big-box chains who could easily phase out that stuff because they sell all kinds of other product.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
HelloItsMeMOM (February 4th, 2013), SpiceCake (February 3rd, 2013)
Unread February 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM

Sad to see this site winding down. But, I guess all good things must come to an end. As for my mask coming off- My name is Rich. Worked for Blockbuster over 10 years. Enjoyed almost all of my co-workers (there's always a few that piss you off), the customers were... entertaining, I can put it that way. Corporate- the less said about most of them, the better. My job was as a clerk in a video store, ringing up transactions and trying to make each transaction pleasant for all involved. I didn't want to be a damn pickle salesman, or a candy salesman. I never liked being expected to try to talk every person into signing up for passes that would take money from them each month in a bad economy, when they may be struggling financially with other, more important bills. I grew to despise that part of the job. I saw the store I was working at going further and further down, as the video business changed. Other Blockbuster stores in the area were all gone. Finally, I had an opportunity to get out and I did. Two months later, the store I worked at closed down. So at least I got out at the right time.

I am also on Facebook- would love to add people from here. I consider you friends. Private message me for the link to my page if you wish.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PickleBundle For This Useful Post:
Antithesys (February 4th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (February 4th, 2013), inkedangel (February 5th, 2013), johnlow71 (February 5th, 2013)
Unread February 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM
IHBB GOD

hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm Sara. I worked for BBV from 2001-2010. Was a Store Manager for 6 of those years. I left because I grew up, got married and wanted a normal life. I was sick of being harassed all the time, at home, at work and even on my honeymoon. After my husband got in a screaming match with my DM (for calling me at 10pm to yell about madden presales) we decided it was time for me to leave.

3 years later, my store has long ago closed, as well as all our surrounding stores. I am a teacher at a local preschool, work monday through friday, no nights or weekends. I feel like I am finally doing what I was supposed to be doing. Sure the pay sucks. But my free time and personal life are worth more than any paycheck.

I am also on facebook. Don't PM me because I rarely check this forum anymore. but you can get to me through MOM, Zoo, RK and Abandoned Dreams.

Sidenote: thanks to Chris for starting this site out of hate, and keeping it alive for us to love.
AbandonedDreams (February 4th, 2013), Antithesys (February 4th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (February 4th, 2013), inkedangel (February 5th, 2013), ripGRUSH (February 5th, 2013), rk237 (February 5th, 2013), zooworker (February 6th, 2013)
Unread February 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM
The Owner & Grand Poobah

Love to see all the posts here...lots of interest from people about taking over or wanting to run it. Debating some options but won't let anyone take over.
Unread February 5th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Love to see all the posts here...lots of interest from people about taking over or wanting to run it. Debating some options but won't let anyone take over.
We'd be appreciative of any option you'd consider. Based on the recent round of store closings and Dish's attitude towards the process (I.e., closing down stores at the ends of their leases, regardless of how much money the store might be making), it doesn't sound like the site will have to be up much longer anyways (maybe through the summer, or early next fall?).

That is... unless people want to keep chatting long after BB has ceased to exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 5th, 2013)
Unread February 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you for opening this site, sir. You allowed me a place to vent about my job, while getting to know some great people.
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBundle For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 5th, 2013)
Unread February 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Thank you, Chrisedge, for all that you have done for us. It would be wonderful if there was some version kept up even just for us to keep in touch.
AbandonedDreams (February 6th, 2013), inkedangel (February 5th, 2013)
Unread February 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
thats what jim keyes thought too
Unread February 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar94pga View Post
After my husband got in a screaming match with my DM (for calling me at 10pm to yell about madden presales) we decided it was time for me to leave.
Logged in just so I could say how much I liked this. ^^

And yeah, I worked 01-05 and left because BB is fucking ridiculous. Took me a while to realize it, but then-- yeah. Eight years on, I'm a math professor now, so suck it Blue (and NetflixGotBlockbusted, who once laughed at me for being "a 26 year old TA." It's called a PhD fellowship, retard).
Unread February 5th, 2013, 09:16 PM
IHBB GOD

If you are on Facebook, here is the IHBB page https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/g..._comment_reply

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin (Thanks Moonprism)

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woodstock For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (February 6th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (February 6th, 2013), inkedangel (February 5th, 2013)