I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread July 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
IHBB GOD

OKAY! I found it.

The thread is from August 23, 2005. So a few days old.

Nicest thing a customer did for you

My post was on May 25th, 2007 (so a few days after the thread was created). Here it is:

Quote:
I keep all the cards I get for things like Christmas, birthdays, cards I got on my graduation, etc. and one card that stood out to me recently as I was packing all these cards up into a box is the one I posted about in this thread.

It was from a movie pass customer, as I said, on Thanksgiving. And now that I no longer work there... I guess I've read so many things on this board from various people saying, "Man I'm so glad I don't work at BB anymore," yet I find myself not remembering the bad times, but the good times.

And it's -because- of the awesome customers that that is true. I mean, yes, I do remember a lot of the horrible customers I had, the ones I had to kick out, the ones that threatened me, etc. But they don't have a lasting impression on me.

Yet, I vividly remember the faces, the voices, the personalities of the customers who came in day after day. It wasn't like we were 'friends' or anything... they were customers, I was an employee. But you know, there is definitely something about getting to know a customer, especially one who rents every other day for months on end. You get to know them and you appreciate them.

And I remember some really bad days at work -- things were just going awful, and then the door bell would sound, and I would look over to greet the person coming in, and it would be one of these customers, and suddenly, everything seemed better. In fact, when they entered the store, all of the other customers in the store looked different to me.

I don't know if others here feel that same way, I know some don't, because some have stated that they miss nothing... but I was SM for the last year that I worked there, and I guess when you're the SM, you have different expectations about your store. That is, when you're a CSR, you don't really pay that much attention to your customers as actual people. That was very true for me when I was a CSR... I began to know customers, but it wasn't till I was an AM, and then SM, that I began to be looked at as an 'authority' figure to the customer.

About a week before my store closed, a long time family that I had gotten to know (father/mother/and a college-aged daughter) rented every weekend. They were so nice. They'd always ask me for my movie recommendations. I'd ask them if they had seen all the movies on my favorites. Well, because we were a franchise store, and I had *a lot* of control, I would routinely ask customers looking for movies if they were looking for any that we didn't have. She said we had When a Man Loves a Woman, but not on DVD.

I told her I'd buy it so she could rent it, and I went out and bought it for the store that Monday. She came in on Wednesay night or something and rented it. That Friday night, she thanked me and said something about how she cried watching it and it was just as good as she remembered.

And then our store closed that next week...

You see what happened there? Customers who made my work experience better received the same respect back from me. I made their experience in that store awesome, because they did the same for me. There were many, many other times when I went out and bought movies for customers to watch. Or I'd give people free rentals if they were particularly nice.

And that wasn't just customers who I'd known a long time. Sometimes customers that had just signed up for an account I'd give them a free rental if they were extremely polite and nice. I had that kind of power. I could say to them, "Ah, I see you're renting this movie here... it's a great one. Hey, how would you like it for free?"

And I never gave things free to make an angry/upset customer happy. Those customers didn't deserve it. But my nicest customers? Always. Definitely.

Last edited by igniteice; July 2nd, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igniteice For This Useful Post:
abhorrent scowl (July 2nd, 2010), Kreen-Akrore (July 2nd, 2010), wheresmikey (July 2nd, 2010)
Unread July 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
IHBB Freak

i can tell you put very little work in to writing that and even less work into finding it. it looks nice and all but way too short for me to bother reading. : )
BUYMECAR (July 3rd, 2010)
Unread August 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Red face

So, one of my favorite experiences with a customer is a little odd, but definitely one of my favorite customers. This guy comes in, complaining, all the time. He asks for advice on movies and is always making sarcastic comments, so you are almost not sure if he is joking. Well, he is.. always joking, and as soon as I realized I could joke with him and cut up, he has been one of my favorite customers ever since. All the employee's know him by name and he always makes my day a little better when I see him come in. At my store there are several customers that i can think of that are awesome. My store is now in the process of closing and our DM has received more calls from customers upset about our store closing than any other of the store closings in the area. I've worked at my store for 2 years and had customers bring me books that they thought I'd like, a key chain dolphin because I mentioned I lost one like it, and lots of homemade food, like roasted pork loin for thanksgiving since we had to work. I hate blockbuster corporate for all their stupidity, but I love my store and most of the people that were regulars there. Yes there are a lot of stupid people that are annoying, but so many more people that I knew by name and were in the store frequently.
Unread August 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM
IHBB GOD

SO you would really need a couple of thousand people to come back to make your store, go again. I went through the same thing, but the ones who complained the most about us closing mostly had online exchanges, and I didn't hold back telling them if they spent a little money in the store we might have stayed open.
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (August 19th, 2010)
Unread August 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
I didn't hold back telling them if they spent a little money in the store we might have stayed open.
zoo's got ze balls!

=3
Unread August 19th, 2010, 03:30 PM

I had a regular customer, who was on the movie pass who came in like clockwork and we'd always exchange small talk while doing his quick 1 minute exchange each time. He was one of those customers who came in every tuesday wondering what was new, which was typical for die hard movie pass customers. Well, I would always hold movies for him on tuesday mornings that I thought he would enjoy, as I always did receiving every tuesday morning so I was always there. One time I told him that my birthday was coming up and that I was working that day. He turned out to be a chef and brought me a fucking cake that day that he made himself! I was in complete shock and it was one of my better birthdays to date.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread August 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYMECAR View Post
zoo's got ze balls!
You been looking in my bathroom window again?
The top Poster!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
BUYMECAR (August 20th, 2010), HelloItsMeMOM (August 19th, 2010)
Unread August 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM

A couple of years ago a customer brought us pizza and a bottle of wine for christmas. Good pizza too, none of that Dominos crap
Unread August 20th, 2010, 03:07 AM

Good customers. Well, there was this one time, no wait. Oh, yeah, it was, no, not then either.

Eh, I got nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzo For This Useful Post:
zooworker (August 20th, 2010)
Unread August 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM

I have many good customers, don't want to write a giant post, but sure there's the asshole every week, but I think the majority of them are good customers. I've had this store for 2 years now and have grown my 28 day actives from the 3000's to the 4000's. Always making the customer and customer service the first priority. They keep coming back. Too many good ones to single out just one.