I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
IHBB Freak

lol Kaw if you want my mom you surely can have her

I would not defend most of blockbuster's decisions, nor would I disagree that shit has gotten terrible, but if you were charged 60 bucks because you had a several movies for 37 days, I would not exactly call that deceptive, I would call that an idiot customer who had movies for 37 days. By the way, at my location and in surrounding areas, we still gave them their damn money back, even after 3-5 months of keeping the damn movies.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread April 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM
IHBB Freak

Actually, that's the single thing I dread most about still being recognized from Blockbuster-- there's still people to this day (I've been let go by Blockbuster for well over a year now) that stop me and complain to me, or bitch that I personally, charged them a ton of money for a movie or game or whatever that they insist they brought back. Like "Dude, I let that part of my life go a long time ago, why can't you?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread April 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
Actually, that's the single thing I dread most about still being recognized from Blockbuster-- there's still people to this day (I've been let go by Blockbuster for well over a year now) that stop me and complain to me, or bitch that I personally, charged them a ton of money for a movie or game or whatever that they insist they brought back. Like "Dude, I let that part of my life go a long time ago, why can't you?"
I can't wait for this to happen to me in the grocery store now I am no longer an employee. They will get a piece of my mind. While smiling all the time and telling them I hope they enjoy paying for my unemployment now!
Unread April 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM

My video journey began back in 1986 (Beta anyone?) with a regional chain in this area-Mark Wattles had one store across town and no one had heard of Blockbuster. Through the years I worked for several companies, and finally for Blockbuster. I managed several stores in the area, and opened my final store for them in 2000. At first it was AWESOME! I could satisfy customer demand with the backing of a big company. We were a small neighborhood store, and although we were part of "corporate America," we tried to run the store like a "mom and pop" shop. I hired nice people who were crazy about movies and knew how to take care of the customer. Our store did well, winning lots or regional awards and we were in the Top 100 of all stores at one time, earning me a private suite at our last Las Vegas trip. (Remember those?) Just before I retired last year, I was written up twice because our previously successful store had not reached its goal on candy bundles. Yes, I came home and cried, and yes, there is a bitter taste in my mouth. I stay in touch with my former employees, and give them as much encouragement as I can, but it is too late for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Late4Me For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 13th, 2011)
Unread August 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
IHBB GOD

Epilogue

I have a new job. I enjoy it very much. It's still retail, but it's a company with a proven track record of treating its employees with respect. I get plenty of hours and my starting wage is nearly as much as the wage I had earned after ten years of working for Blockbuster. I look forward to work each morning and the day goes by almost too quickly.

I drove by my old store the other day. It had been extensively remodeled; the parking lot was repaved, the sidewalk repaired, and the building painted. It is being divided into six smaller (and they'd have to be very small!) businesses. I wish them the best of luck in this economy and under the financial tyranny of the landlord who drove us and a number of other shops out of his commercial plaza.

I've not been inside another Blockbuster since. I haven't been keeping up with the goings-on here either, so I have no idea as to the current state of things at the company. To those who haven't been able to make it out, I wish nothing but the best of luck.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 13th, 2011), BlockbusterLuvsU (August 12th, 2011), Glass Half Empty (August 15th, 2011)
Unread August 12th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
I've not been inside another Blockbuster since.
You know it's funny, I've been to a couple since leaving (to kill time), and it feels weird; partly nostalgic, partly I miss it, but also there's this subtle feeling of creeping dread that I can't really put a finger on. And each time I walked out of the building I felt refreshed, like coming up for air after holding your breath underwater. So weird.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlockbusterLuvsU For This Useful Post:
muthaflippin (August 21st, 2011)
Unread August 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM
IHBB GOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGc9...eature=related

Last edited by KAWLIGA; August 12th, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Because I said so...(bitch)...
Unread August 13th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Late4Me View Post
I was written up twice because our previously successful store had not reached its goal on candy bundles. Yes, I came home and cried, and yes, there is a bitter taste in my mouth.
That's because this is the only legit way they can justify eliminating any tenured employees.
Unread August 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockbusterLuvsU View Post
but also there's this subtle feeling of creeping dread that I can't really put a finger on. And each time I walked out of the building I felt refreshed, like coming up for air after holding your breath underwater. So weird.
I know exactly what you mean. When I go my store as a customer, walking amongst the other unrecognizable customers, I feel a kind of dread I don't feel in other stores. I usually can't wait to get the hell out and far away. It is weird.
Unread August 16th, 2011, 06:03 AM

I just read this post to my husband and started to cry. It's been 4 months since I dropped my keys and it still hurts. My son had worked at BBV in our home town in New York. We moved to Florida when he started college. I missed my son. I missed his free rentals. And I missed Blockbuster. We had moved to a BBV free zone..Then one day a now hiring sign appeared at an empty storefront in the new Albertson's shopping center. I called my son and told him "They're going to open a Blockbuster in The Villages and I'm going to apply!" He said, "Mom, they don't hire geezers at Blockbuster!" So my decade of BBV employment began. The first time I was confronted with keys locked in the office I thought of my son coming home complaing of some witless ASM locking their keys in the office and making him climb the wall AGAIN. So over the wall I went to the amazement of the CSR's. (Not bad since I started BBV on my 50th birthday!). My tiny, precious wall. So many memories, so much loss. But The best part is today I get to babysit two of my BBV grandchildren while my ex-CSR gets her books for her SECOND degree challenge. I'll take them out on the lanai and show them the BBV Ticket sign I bought and put on the lights while I'll tell them about how their mom came into the store her senior year on her 18th birthday and told me, "I'm 18 now so you can hire me!" and I did.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EVFNazi For This Useful Post:
Antithesys (August 16th, 2011), Glass Half Empty (August 19th, 2011), inkedangel (August 21st, 2011), MamaSmurf (August 18th, 2011), underemployed (August 20th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (August 16th, 2011), zooworker (August 19th, 2011)