I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 12th, 2011, 08:44 PM
IHBB GOD

Start thinking long-term

Reading some recent posts about "how will we get that many passes?" and "why aren't they sending us decent copy depth?" and other questions that veterans of the company had been asking for many many years. The fact that nothing has changed under the new ownership is not surprising in the least. The fact that some people actually still work for this company is kind of surprising, and kind of sad, if you're empathic like me.

If you still work for Blockbuster, this is your current situation:

- you are constantly sending customers out the door without the product they came in for.
- you are constantly harassing customers to pay extra money for plans that will not at all increase the likelihood of getting the product they come in for.
- you are constantly being harassed by your superiors for failing to reach goals due to circumstances entirely beyond your control.
- you are constantly working under the imminent threat that you will soon be out of a job.
- you are constantly operating under an appreciable level of stress, whether or not you realize it.

If you have left Blockbuster and are working for a different company, this is your current situation:

- you are working for a company that has a better appreciation for all levels under its employ, regardless of what company it is.
- you are working for a company with a future, and with the resources to supply products and services to meet its customers' demands.
- you are likely better paid. If not, you have regular opportunities to change that.
- you are not treating customers as if they're not valued. (unless you work for Best Buy)
- you are mentally and physically much healthier, whether or not you realize it.

The only difference between these two groups is that the people in the second group - many of them, anyway - sacrificed a temporary amount of time and energy, let themselves feel the temporary stress of finding a new job, and realized what a great big world was out there. The media is telling you there are no jobs. There are MILLIONS of jobs. Jobs YOU can get. Have some college? Get an office job. Want to / have to stick to retail? Get a retail job. Tons of those will be opening during the holidays.

I did not work up the courage to make that sacrifice. I had the change forced upon me...I waited too long, and my store closed. It worked out in the end for me, but if you truly feel like you need to have control of your life, don't wait. Do it now. It's going to happen one way or another, trust me.

We're not superior to you. We're just like you. Did you watch the last season of Lost? The characters were in that sideways universe, drifting aimlessly, feeling sorry for themselves, and suddenly one of them realized the truth, and went around helping the rest of them discover the truth too, as long as they were ready. When they were all ready, they moved on.

If you're anything like me, you won't listen. You'll do it the hard way. I won't blame you.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (September 16th, 2011), D Money (September 13th, 2011), itirnitii (September 12th, 2011), SL_600 (September 13th, 2011), underemployed (September 14th, 2011)
Unread September 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM

I was an ASM and my shit DM finally pushed me over the edge and made me realize the job was not worth the pain and misery. At Blockbuster, the thought of becoming an SM was laughable, but now I run my own store with another retail company! Pretty sweet. I did go jobless for about five months, but luckily I was not alone so my bills were covered.

I would thank that DM for being such a bitch and nudging me out of purgatory, but she got canned. Stupid bitch.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (September 16th, 2011)
Unread September 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM
IHBB GOD

Can someone take me to a place where blind men see?

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
Darkfall28 (September 13th, 2011), johnlow71 (September 13th, 2011)
Unread September 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
IHBB GOD

and thats why i love hot head!
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (September 13th, 2011)
Unread September 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
IHBB GOD

Who are you to blame any one antetiyses u are not a dirty or Almighty powerful

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (September 13th, 2011)
Unread September 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
Reading some recent posts about "how will we get that many passes?" and "why aren't they sending us decent copy depth?" and other questions that veterans of the company had been asking for many many years. The fact that nothing has changed under the new ownership is not surprising in the least. The fact that some people actually still work for this company is kind of surprising, and kind of sad, if you're empathic like me.

If you still work for Blockbuster, this is your current situation:

- you are constantly sending customers out the door without the product they came in for.
- you are constantly harassing customers to pay extra money for plans that will not at all increase the likelihood of getting the product they come in for.
- you are constantly being harassed by your superiors for failing to reach goals due to circumstances entirely beyond your control.
- you are constantly working under the imminent threat that you will soon be out of a job.
- you are constantly operating under an appreciable level of stress, whether or not you realize it.

If you have left Blockbuster and are working for a different company, this is your current situation:

- you are working for a company that has a better appreciation for all levels under its employ, regardless of what company it is.
- you are working for a company with a future, and with the resources to supply products and services to meet its customers' demands.
- you are likely better paid. If not, you have regular opportunities to change that.
- you are not treating customers as if they're not valued. (unless you work for Best Buy)
- you are mentally and physically much healthier, whether or not you realize it.

The only difference between these two groups is that the people in the second group - many of them, anyway - sacrificed a temporary amount of time and energy, let themselves feel the temporary stress of finding a new job, and realized what a great big world was out there. The media is telling you there are no jobs. There are MILLIONS of jobs. Jobs YOU can get. Have some college? Get an office job. Want to / have to stick to retail? Get a retail job. Tons of those will be opening during the holidays.

I did not work up the courage to make that sacrifice. I had the change forced upon me...I waited too long, and my store closed. It worked out in the end for me, but if you truly feel like you need to have control of your life, don't wait. Do it now. It's going to happen one way or another, trust me.

We're not superior to you. We're just like you. Did you watch the last season of Lost? The characters were in that sideways universe, drifting aimlessly, feeling sorry for themselves, and suddenly one of them realized the truth, and went around helping the rest of them discover the truth too, as long as they were ready. When they were all ready, they moved on.

If you're anything like me, you won't listen. You'll do it the hard way. I won't blame you.
Very well said. At one point I had a great deal of respect for a good amount of Blockbuster employees for how hard they worked. However, today I don't have that same degree of respect for people who are still at Blockbuster. The company has only gotten worse since I left in 2006. Anyone who is still there are either:

1) Lazy
2) Enjoy being treated like dirt
3) Have extraordinary fear of the process of looking for a new job

If you are in the first two categories, I really can't help you. But anyone in the 3rd category should not let fear of applying, interviewing with companies, starting a new job, etc. hold you back. You will be so much happier in the long run and be a lot healthier.

Before I left, I was put in the hospital once due to stress from my overbearing District Leader who was threatening people with their jobs ... even back in 2005 and 2006. For the amount of money Blockbuster paid, which I thought was a decent salary for a store manager, I was stupid to let myself be succumbed to those circumstances, even for the money I made then.

Today, and 2 jobs later, I am back on my feet, salvaged my career, have a white collar job, and make $21,000 more per year than I did as a Store Manager at Blockbuster.

It can be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBVTyrant For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (September 16th, 2011)
Unread September 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
IHBB Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to SL_600
I left in 2006 also and I still remember the stress that I felt back then. It started out as a fun little job and then got increasingly worse. The high pressure sales atmosphere. The constant explaining to customers why BBI is involved in this lawsuit or that one for some "alleged" unscrupulous practice.

Not to mention, watching corporate bumble around with the business model, pass on the Netflix acquisition, and a host of idiot ideas and initiatives that I knew were going to tank the company. I got to the point where I just could not go in that store for one more week. It was that serious. Thankfully, I found the job that I currently have and was able to leave, but I shudder to think what current employees are feeling now. Stress is real!

WWGD ....What Would Gord Do?
The Following User Says Thank You to SL_600 For This Useful Post:
muthaflippin (September 14th, 2011)