I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread November 20th, 2012, 05:35 PM

"Dish blasts FCC's rules for its wireless spectrum"

So it looks like there was a development earlier today with Dish's plans for launching a wireless service. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't look like it was the kind of development they were hoping for since the FCC has proposed rules so strict that it would be impractical for Dish to actually start a wireless service. Dish says they're still hopeful since the ruling isn't final, but if it is... how much longer can Dish afford to continue losing money every quarter operating the BB stores?

Article:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...rum/2012-11-20

"DISH responds to accounts of proposed FCC order on wireless
November 20, 2012

· Calls draft "significantly flawed"; could add years of delay to network build out
· FCC plan would take a quarter of DISH uplink spectrum to favor incumbent Sprint; no net spectrum gain, hurts competition and jobs
· Urges FCC to adopt power and emissions levels as it originally proposed
· With appropriate rules, DISH ready to invest billions, trigger tens of thousands of jobs

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 20, 2012 – DISH is responding to news today that the Federal Communications Commission ("FCC" or "Commission") has circulated a proposed order related to rules that would, once approved by the full Commission, govern 40 MHz of broadband-ready AWS-4 wireless spectrum controlled by DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH).

"While the FCC's proposed order, based on reported accounts, does properly address some of the opportunities with this spectrum, it's significantly flawed by introducing serious limitations that impair its utility," said R. Stanton Dodge, DISH executive vice president and general counsel. "While the FCC would grant full terrestrial rights, its proposal to lower our power and emissions levels could cripple our ability to enter the business.

"The good news is that this proposed order is not final and we urge Chairman Genachowski and the Commissioners to recognize that the DISH plan delivers on the greatest public interest – the most investment, the most jobs and the most spectrum," said Dodge. "We stand ready to work with the full Commission on final rules that put the full AWS-4 spectrum to work for America and that advance the future potential of the H Block."

DISH has declared its intent to launch a wireless business assuming the FCC delivers rules making it economically and technically feasible to do so. The company expects to invest billions and trigger tens of thousands of jobs to create a wireless broadband network that would power a variety of mobile and fixed devices, including smartphones, tablets and computers.

NO NET SPECTRUM GAIN FOR CONSUMERS

In the draft order, the FCC appears to back a proposal, advanced solely by Sprint, calling on DISH to disable 25 percent of its uplink spectrum and impair another 25 percent of that spectrum to accommodate possible future use of neighboring H Block spectrum by Sprint.

The FCC does not currently license H Block spectrum, and that spectrum is unused today. Sprint, which controls more than 200 MHz of wireless spectrum, has expressed interest in acquiring rights to the 5 MHz H Block.

"Sprint's position on the H Block would render useless 25 percent of DISH's uplink spectrum – so that Sprint is positioned to merely gain the exact same amount of spectrum," said Dodge. "This is a zero-sum approach that does not result in a net spectrum gain for the American consumer when the wireless economy needs access to all available spectrum. Nor does this approach add jobs."

POSSIBLE DELAYS IN INVESTMENT, JOBS, BUILD OUT

The Sprint plan embodied in the proposed order would likely force a reopening of the standards-setting process led by the Third Generation Partnership Project. Without 3GPP approval, wireless companies do not have the required technical blueprints needed to design and build everything from cellphone chipsets to broadband networks.

"If the FCC adopts this draft, the 3GPP specification will likely be reopened and an FCC rulemaking will be needed for the H Block," said Dodge. "Until we know how to manage issues like interference from the H Block, we may have to put on hold activities like radio design and network build out while we wait for the H Block rulemaking and another 3GPP process to be completed."

DISH expects new approvals could add years to a process that has already lasted 20 months since it acquired two bankrupt companies in an effort to bring this spectrum to the market. This 40 MHz of spectrum remains on the sidelines.

FCC PRECEDENT GOOD FOR ALL PARTIES AND CONSUMERS

"DISH's position is consistent with more than 20 years of FCC precedent. The AWS-4 rulemaking should be completed with the power and emissions levels that were recommended by the FCC in its April Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) and supported by most commenters (with the notable exception of Sprint), and which would not require DISH to effectively surrender 25 percent of its uplink capacity.

"The H Block should be subject to the same auction and rulemaking processes that have applied to other spectrum bands for decades," said Dodge. "This approach will ultimately free up the H Block for its highest-and-best use based upon input from all interested parties, and will lead to more investment, more jobs, more competition and more spectrum for wireless consumers."
Unread November 21st, 2012, 01:31 PM
IHBB GOD

So my lawyer was just reading this and said they are screwed
The top Poster!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (November 23rd, 2012)
Unread November 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooworker View Post
So my lawyer was just reading this and said they are screwed
Well, I guess there's always the possibility that the FCC's ruling could be different from what they proposed, since Dish mentioned that it wasn't their final verdict...
Unread November 21st, 2012, 09:41 PM
IHBB GOD

Yup there going to be selling cell phones its going to happen no matter what lol
Unread November 22nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
IHBB GOD

Hmmm the FCC like me doesn't like dish.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread November 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM

I wonder how this would have gone over pre-Dish ownership? Because back then, when Blockbuster was its own company, it totally had the outlook of "We're Blockbuster- We can do whatever we want!".
Unread November 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
Yup there going to be selling cell phones its going to happen no matter what lol
It will happen "no matter what?" Dish is going to insist on selling cell phones and wireless service even if the FCC doesn't allow them to use enough wireless spectrum to actually have a viable service?

I think this has gone beyond Dish wanting to get into the mobile business and has become a case of them insisting on entering it just to prove to everybody that BB is sticking around, even if doesn't make reasonable business sense to do so and even if it means losing money.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (November 23rd, 2012)
Unread November 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleBundle View Post
I wonder how this would have gone over pre-Dish ownership? Because back then, when Blockbuster was its own company, it totally had the outlook of "We're Blockbuster- We can do whatever we want!".
It sounds like they still have that attitude, except the difference is that, back when Blockbuster was its own company, they actually thought those big-headed decisions would result in them continue to make more and more money... now, it seems like Dish is swinging their weight around with the same attitude just to show people that they'll do what they want.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (November 23rd, 2012)
Unread November 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
It will happen "no matter what?" Dish is going to insist on selling cell phones and wireless service even if the FCC doesn't allow them to use enough wireless spectrum to actually have a viable service?

I think this has gone beyond Dish wanting to get into the mobile business and has become a case of them insisting on entering it just to prove to everybody that BB is sticking around, even if doesn't make reasonable business sense to do so and even if it means losing money.
If you go to blockbuster's website u already can buy phones, from every provider. You fail to realize DIsh has a lot deeper pockets then blockbuster had when it was on it's own. So, they probably can do what they want lol.
I learned that dreams don’t work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread November 23rd, 2012, 04:27 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
If you go to blockbuster's website u already can buy phones, from every provider. You fail to realize DIsh has a lot deeper pockets then blockbuster had when it was on it's own. So, they probably can do what they want lol.
Your illogical. Dish wants its own band with, which would mean a new cell phone provider with their own line of phones....not others....

So what gas stations sell providers cell phones... so your statement is comparing what anyone can really do to what dish is doing on the website.

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.