I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Unread October 30th, 2012, 08:13 PM
HelloItsMeMOM's Avatar
HelloItsMeMOM HelloItsMeMOM is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In my momma's store
Posts: 2,516
Unless you have a store full of amazing older films and very qualified clerks that you find in indy stores like Orbit has I sincerely do not see how a company like BBi can stand up against Netflix. Less than $10 a month for unlimited viewings on multiple devices? Yeah. Blockbuster Got Netflixed.
__________________
For those who believe no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation is enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HelloItsMeMOM For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (October 31st, 2012), inkedangel (October 31st, 2012)
  #22  
Unread October 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM
DavidNewlySL's Avatar
DavidNewlySL DavidNewlySL is offline
IHBB Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
Also, when the 2012 annual report comes out and if new subscribers take a dip even with the addition of BB. What's the value in keeping the stores open then? You don't pour money into a bottomless pit. You put a lid over it and move on.
the annual report wont show a dip in additions, because the stores have thus far added dish installs to the company, before hand they were not getting those sign ups.
__________________
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
  #23  
Unread October 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM
DavidNewlySL's Avatar
DavidNewlySL DavidNewlySL is offline
IHBB Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
So what about the official statement from Ergen that was circulating the other week in which he said that their plans for Blockbuster were being abandoned? Why did he say that they might keep a few rural stores open here and there, but made no mention whatsoever of opening new stores?

Generally speaking, what kind of sense does it make for you (or anyone else, for that matter -- not trying to single you out) to keep insisting that Dish is interested in keeping Blockbuster's physical stores open for the long-term when Ergen is literally stating and implying the opposite? Wouldn't he have at least made SOME mention of it during his interview with Bloomberg the other week so that he could at least attempt to portray the situation in a remotely positive light?
Sadly, nobody reads the good reports, just the negative ones. With the amc settlement, Ergen picked up 80 million dollars worth of spectrum as well, once the FCC Ruling goes into effect, stores are a massive way to help promote the new things dish if offering. I am not saying that stores might not shutter eventually, but if things go the way they want, then stores could have some light at the end of the tunnel, I guess we will see.
__________________
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
  #24  
Unread October 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM
DavidNewlySL's Avatar
DavidNewlySL DavidNewlySL is offline
IHBB Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloItsMeMOM View Post
Unless you have a store full of amazing older films and very qualified clerks that you find in indy stores like Orbit has I sincerely do not see how a company like BBi can stand up against Netflix. Less than $10 a month for unlimited viewings on multiple devices? Yeah. Blockbuster Got Netflixed.
Mom, you and I and half this board know that netflix is not the main reason that blockbuster is shuttering...
__________________
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
  #25  
Unread October 31st, 2012, 06:59 AM
sarge sarge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
the annual report wont show a dip in additions, because the stores have thus far added dish installs to the company, before hand they were not getting those sign ups.
I'm not talking dip in additions based on Blockbuster alone. I would say it will be miniscule compared to all sign ups. I'm talking DISH as a whole. If the 2012 report comes out and new subsriptions take a double digit loss even after they aquired BB, then they weren't getting the bang for the buck they were expecting. Especially with stores losing money. The only value is the large selection for streaming, which is cheaper than keeping the stores open. The ROI wouldn't be worth opening new stores if it's not benefiting Dish.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (October 31st, 2012)
  #26  
Unread October 31st, 2012, 10:06 AM
zooworker's Avatar
zooworker zooworker is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Over there
Posts: 24,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
Mom, you and I and half this board know that netflix is not the main reason that blockbuster is shuttering...
I agree, BBI shot off both feet on no late fees and free exchanges, ruined our store.
__________________
It's been a Fun Ride,
THANKS!! Old Friends!!
ROYAL GUARD
The top Poster!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zooworker For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (October 31st, 2012), HelloItsMeMOM (November 1st, 2012)
  #27  
Unread October 31st, 2012, 02:33 PM
DavidNewlySL's Avatar
DavidNewlySL DavidNewlySL is offline
IHBB Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
I'm not talking dip in additions based on Blockbuster alone. I would say it will be miniscule compared to all sign ups. I'm talking DISH as a whole. If the 2012 report comes out and new subsriptions take a double digit loss even after they aquired BB, then they weren't getting the bang for the buck they were expecting. Especially with stores losing money. The only value is the large selection for streaming, which is cheaper than keeping the stores open. The ROI wouldn't be worth opening new stores if it's not benefiting Dish.
What u are failing to realize is, the amount each subscriber signing up for dish at a blockbuster brings to dish's pockets fiscally. Also, u forget the amount of streaming rights and studio agreements Dish got picking up blockbuster, and considering the amount of stores they closes, I am rather sure they got half if not more than half of the investment back from that.

The whole point is, the store front is needed if and when dish gets the FCC approval on the spectrum, the FCC approves it, the stores change dramatically, and from there they will become profitable in the things they will be newly providing. IF not, then the stores arent worth the bang for the buck.
__________________
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
  #28  
Unread October 31st, 2012, 02:53 PM
SpiceCake SpiceCake is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
What u are failing to realize is, the amount each subscriber signing up for dish at a blockbuster brings to dish's pockets fiscally. Also, u forget the amount of streaming rights and studio agreements Dish got picking up blockbuster, and considering the amount of stores they closes, I am rather sure they got half if not more than half of the investment back from that.

The whole point is, the store front is needed if and when dish gets the FCC approval on the spectrum, the FCC approves it, the stores change dramatically, and from there they will become profitable in the things they will be newly providing. IF not, then the stores arent worth the bang for the buck.
I could be wrong, but in the interview he gave the other week, it sounded like Dish was scrapping the plans for the wireless spectrum precisely because the FCC was taking too long to approve their proposal. I think he also mentioned that the chances of it being approved were slim because the FCC had just recently disapproved of another company's similar proposal (the name of the company escapes me).

Even if the FCC decides to approve Dish's wireless spectrum proposal, I don't think it will make much difference since Ergen was talking as if Dish's plans for it had been scrapped entirely (I.e., there is now nothing left to approve).

I think Ergen was honestly implying that Dish couldn't afford to keep losing money by keeping the stores open as they waited for FCC approval, so they finally decided to just scrap the whole idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpiceCake For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (October 31st, 2012), inkedangel (November 1st, 2012)
  #29  
Unread October 31st, 2012, 03:23 PM
sarge sarge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
What u are failing to realize is, the amount each subscriber signing up for dish at a blockbuster brings to dish's pockets fiscally. Also, u forget the amount of streaming rights and studio agreements Dish got picking up blockbuster, and considering the amount of stores they closes, I am rather sure they got half if not more than half of the investment back from that.

The whole point is, the store front is needed if and when dish gets the FCC approval on the spectrum, the FCC approves it, the stores change dramatically, and from there they will become profitable in the things they will be newly providing. IF not, then the stores arent worth the bang for the buck.
Sorry, but I disagree. Did you not read the challenges dish faces when signing up new customers. It is more expensive to signing up new customers and trying to keep them long term vs. the long term customer.
1) the cost of new equipment going out to the customer even though it's leased. Dish eats up the up front cost of that.
2) The free installation charge. Dish still have to pay the installer.
3) The reduced programming for a new customer usually locked in for at least a year.

If the new subscriber leaves shortly after that year, they haven't gained anything financially.

Like I said the most bang for the buck is in streaming if BB is still bleeding and really hasn't added to the new customer subscriptions and are able to keep them over a long haul.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (November 1st, 2012)
  #30  
Unread October 31st, 2012, 03:28 PM
DavidNewlySL's Avatar
DavidNewlySL DavidNewlySL is offline
IHBB Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
I could be wrong, but in the interview he gave the other week, it sounded like Dish was scrapping the plans for the wireless spectrum precisely because the FCC was taking too long to approve their proposal. I think he also mentioned that the chances of it being approved were slim because the FCC had just recently disapproved of another company's similar proposal (the name of the company escapes me).

Even if the FCC decides to approve Dish's wireless spectrum proposal, I don't think it will make much difference since Ergen was talking as if Dish's plans for it had been scrapped entirely (I.e., there is now nothing left to approve).

I think Ergen was honestly implying that Dish couldn't afford to keep losing money by keeping the stores open as they waited for FCC approval, so they finally decided to just scrap the whole idea.
Okay, if he was scrapping it, then why did they acquire 80 million dollars worth of spectrum from AMC last week? They will never scrap the idea, because of all the spectrum they acquired. They have opened a smaller store in Colorado that mirrors what they want to possibly do with the rest.

Im not drinking koolaid, if fcc turns it down then the store prove worthless, but the things that could happen, will eventually, i dont see them turning it down, just takes forever.
__________________
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:04 AM.


vBulletin Version 3.7.1
© 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.