I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Other Ranting and Raving

Unread June 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherworker View Post
Okay, I read the article, interesting article. as a practicing Roman Catholic, I say... so what?
What troubles me in this picture is the sign above the sign. It Says "Moreland", and my first thought. Moreland - a movie theater? The 2 titles on the sign are movies, both coming out about the same time. Possible they were shown at same time?

2nd, I never heard of a church congregation called Moreland.
So did the writer of the article take a picture of a theater sign and said, hey this would make a nice picture to coincide with my article I wrote. Or did the sign inspire his article? Or is this an actual church, unlike any I ever saw before?

But amazon, your friend does take a great picture !

It could be a church in an old movie theater, in my area that happens a lot. The theater closes then a church group takes it over.

Wonder if they eat popcorn during the sermon??
Unread June 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonBitch View Post
Get over the picture! It's just a picture that coincides somewhat with the article.

Yes, it's a freaking movie theatre.

I, too, thought the picture was kind of odd, but if you read the sign...on Thursday Atonement ends (you can no longer atone for your sins) and on Friday There Will be Blood starts (if you're going to go to hell, there will probably be some blood). But yeah, if you don't read much into it you might be like its talking about a church why is there a movie sign?
Unread June 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk237 View Post
I would say I'm no less or more fucked up than the next fellow, but I'm not sure that's anything that necessarily needs to be addressed, at least explicitly.

I find answers to life's questions pretty much all over the map-- last November, I was on the trolley (light rail system here) talking about football with a homeless guy and a briefcase yuppie. It reminded me that no matter who we are, three men from entirely different worlds can appreciate the same pleasures in life, but not only that, we can cast aside what separates us and concentrate on our points in common (Chargers in this case) and discuss things respectfully and enjoyably without any kind of judgment.

I take the aggregate sum of moments like this and get my picture of life and what seems right and what seems wrong from that. I see no fault in religion but the closed mindedness so prevalent that thinking or behaving outside the scope of their faith is sinful. Take for instance Turtletime's experience a couple of months ago when she suddenly collapsed in the parking lot. The woman nearby came up to her and started openly praying for God and Jesus to intervene and help her get to her truck. Well see to me that seems silly-- I look at that situation and think the praying part was long done implicitly; the woman herself was the answer to her own prayer, should have been her own agent of God and been the force that helped Turtle to her truck. Instead she left Turtle after the prayer. Fucking stupid bitch, but her action as grotesque as it was, served to congeal my own understanding of life a twinge more when Turtle recounted it here.

I don't believe God said this and that and the world appeared with man and ribs and all this. Is there a realm of unanswered questions that I will never know? Of course, and God is a convenient solution. It's just my characterization of God that is very personal, and not aligned with most churches. I have a lot of faith, for instance, but not in the word of the Bible. My faith is in things like that people are fundamentally good deep down, that kindness feels good for some reason, etc. If that's all due to God, whatever he is, well that's fair and a fine word to use.

So-- could a sign get me into church? No. Asking me if I'm fucked up on a church sign is bold and sends the welcome signal that that particular congregation has to some degree put away the closed mindedness that I loathe about religion in general. But I still find the most valuable lessons in life and good and morals just by living and talking and listening and seeing -- like talking with the two strangers on the train, or reading about Turtle's experience in a parking lot. I don't see how church could ever compete on that level.
I tend to agree with you on most levels here. As a conservative Quaker (conservative meanining as opposed to evangelical - don't identify wiht evangelical Quakers) our structure is set up in Quaker meetings rather than "church". Everyone sits in a square so all are equal. There is no "clergy" to speak of, each takes his/her own turn in speaking and says whatever they a moved to say (the common misconception is that Quakers have "silent worship" as opposed to "open worship" which is actually the case).

My only bone to pick with a Quaker meeting assembly is that, in application, it doesn't turn out to be truely open. I would go to meeting or to "church" where open discussion could be had about things like what RK said above - challenging and exploring the reasons and interpretations of things and each person's unique point of view in regards to it.
Unread June 11th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to justanotherworker
Quote:
Get over the picture! It's just a picture that coincides somewhat with the article.

Yes, it's a freaking movie theatre.
sorry amazon, sometimes I get into my own little world, where everything is fuzzy and warm, and then splat !!!! a pie in the face.
Unread June 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherworker View Post
sorry amazon, sometimes I get into my own little world, where everything is fuzzy and warm, and then splat !!!! a pie in the face.
Is it at least good pie?
Unread June 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I would go to meeting or to "church" where open discussion could be had about things like what RK said above - challenging and exploring the reasons and interpretations of things and each person's unique point of view in regards to it.
Most Christian churches have just such group discussions. Its called Bible Study. Also, any of the pastors of every church I have attended are more than happy to discuss issues with you on a personal level, whether in the confines of the church or even at your own house.

I've even had questions for a pastor that he couldn't answer to my satisfaction and instead of giving up he contacted some of his peers who then came and spoke to me as well.

Faith is a wondrous thing. I pity those without.
Unread June 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
Most Christian churches have just such group discussions. Its called Bible Study. Also, any of the pastors of every church I have attended are more than happy to discuss issues with you on a personal level, whether in the confines of the church or even at your own house.

I've even had questions for a pastor that he couldn't answer to my satisfaction and instead of giving up he contacted some of his peers who then came and spoke to me as well.

Faith is a wondrous thing. I pity those without.
Yes, I have been to bible study etc... but have not yet found one where seriously controversial topics will be tolerated with respect and discussed. Also the majority of the time I have found that if you have a question about the interpretation of something you will be presented with whatever the designated creed or dogma of that particular denomination as fact - debate about which is also often not well tolerated.
Unread June 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have been to bible study etc... but have not yet found one where seriously controversial topics will be tolerated with respect and discussed. Also the majority of the time I have found that if you have a question about the interpretation of something you will be presented with whatever the designated creed or dogma of that particular denomination as fact - debate about which is also often not well tolerated.
I really am sorry you haven't been able to find such a place. I personally believe that there needs to be an open discussion of interpretive issues. I have found that if certain bible study groups are close-minded or just people going through the paces without real interest in their faith going directly to the pastor or head of the church and asking those same questions should be well received. If its not, well, perhaps you just found a church that you should avoid.

If you can't find a place where people aren't afraid of discussion, then I can always point you to any of the numerous religious forums operated on the web. The bad part about any forum will be that people won't always be respectful and may not approach your questions with sincerity.

I'm not well versed on Quakers, so I'm not sure if my advice even applies, so meh.
Unread June 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
I really am sorry you haven't been able to find such a place. I personally believe that there needs to be an open discussion of interpretive issues. I have found that if certain bible study groups are close-minded or just people going through the paces without real interest in their faith going directly to the pastor or head of the church and asking those same questions should be well received. If its not, well, perhaps you just found a church that you should avoid.

If you can't find a place where people aren't afraid of discussion, then I can always point you to any of the numerous religious forums operated on the web. The bad part about any forum will be that people won't always be respectful and may not approach your questions with sincerity.

I'm not well versed on Quakers, so I'm not sure if my advice even applies, so meh.

I love their oatmeal
Unread June 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVcasualposter View Post
I love their oatmeal
This is actually a decent condensed explanation of what Quakers are about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakerism

I am not in line with the Evangelical movement, but more with the old school.

The oatmeal no longer has any connection with actual Quakers. Cadbury Chocolate does, though.