I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread October 19th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockbusterstore482 View Post
It is sad that we have reached the point that we have to close stores and even more sad that once we begin closing the customers return in droves. Then they file complaints about their store closing.

Our company is fine money wise for the next couple of years, but we need to figure things out now. How would you change the company? If you ran the company what would you do? I always read things on here about what they do in Dallas, but what would you do?

I would get rid of the Credit Card requirement.
I would give moe control back to the RDOs, District Managers, and Store Managers. Make MAP a guideline again instead of a requirement. Little things like this will allow Blockbuster to act like a small business while having the market advantages of a big business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtreme Rebel For This Useful Post:
Mxnl1090 (October 19th, 2009)
Unread October 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Better control of ordering from the store level. We've been sold out of a lot of candy for a few weeks and constantly get candy that we don't need. We have 6 or 7 boxes of MT popcorn singles just sitting in the back. Those big vitamin waters? We've only sold a few. Several times a week, we get asked for certain pieces of framed art that we sold out of. Certain games/movies get requested a lot that we don't carry. Halo 3, Fargo, Usual Suspects, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to empbal For This Useful Post:
Mxnl1090 (October 19th, 2009)
Unread October 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra View Post
The credit card is not a requirement. never has been, look at your SOP. All of the corporate policies are in there. If your store manager is requiring a credit card, they are not following policy. Of course we would love if everyone had a credit card, but there are other valid secondaries. Just off the top of my head... vehicle registration, voter registration, utility bill, retail card (Kohl's, Sear, etc.), photo work id, photo school id or AARP card. It is also in the training modules.
didnt know that, but yeah we only take debit or credit only!
Unread October 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra View Post
The credit card is not a requirement. never has been, look at your SOP. All of the corporate policies are in there. If your store manager is requiring a credit card, they are not following policy. Of course we would love if everyone had a credit card, but there are other valid secondaries. Just off the top of my head... vehicle registration, voter registration, utility bill, retail card (Kohl's, Sear, etc.), photo work id, photo school id or AARP card. It is also in the training modules.
This was how we always did it No CC
1. No more than 3 movies out at one time
2. No more than 2 old gen games out at one time
3. NO new gen games out
4. No more than 2 blu ray movies out at one time
If someone had more than 5 asales we would make them put one on.
Unread October 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Rebel View Post
I would give moe control back to the RDOs, District Managers, and Store Managers. Make MAP a guideline again instead of a requirement. Little things like this will allow Blockbuster to act like a small business while having the market advantages of a big business.
This is honestly the key to success.

The more localized you get, the more in touch with customers the business seems. Store employees know the base better than corporate.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 01:19 AM
IHBB GOD

we allow no card on the account, but max # of legal rentals they can rent at a time is 2 (excluding new gen games and blu ray).
Unread October 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
IHBB Freak

With CCs it depends on the individual cases. Our guidelines run much the same as the ones Charlied mentioned above, but with a couple of addendums regarding next-gen game rentals.

-New Account? Either you give us a credit card, or you put down a $50 deposit per game, refundable when game is returned.
-25 to 50 rentals? Give us a credit card, or a $25 per game deposit, refundable when you return them.
-50 rentals and up? OK, no credit card required unless you have over 5 asales. We WILL give you the benefit of the doubt, though, if most or all of them have been returned, or if you paid your post-20 day balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
With CCs it depends on the individual cases. Our guidelines run much the same as the ones Charlied mentioned above, but with a couple of addendums regarding next-gen game rentals.

-New Account? Either you give us a credit card, or you put down a $50 deposit per game, refundable when game is returned.
-25 to 50 rentals? Give us a credit card, or a $25 per game deposit, refundable when you return them.
-50 rentals and up? OK, no credit card required unless you have over 5 asales. We WILL give you the benefit of the doubt, though, if most or all of them have been returned, or if you paid your post-20 day balance.
Do you work in a franchise store? I've never heard of anyone doing anything like that. What do you do? Negative overring when the rent and overring + refund when they return?
Unread October 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
IHBB GOD

yeah i can't imagine anyone putting down a deposit like that o.O
Unread October 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Thumbs down Bad Debt

In many cases (unless you have a Hollywood or Family Video nearby), I strongly disagree about having such a loose credit card policy. If you want to rent from a Redbox, Netflix, On Demand, or most other services, you need a valid credit or check card on file. The fact that Blockbuster does not strongly enforce this to begin with, AND allows alternative forms that are rarely followed up with, seems like a large reason they are being forced to close so many stores.

Bad debt for Blockbuster stores could be easily reduced drastically. Require a pre-authorization for ANYTHING rented, just like Redbox does. Instead, not only are there a large amount of unsecured accounts floating around, there are ones secured with invalid cards. By the time we realize this, the balance is there and sits and is eventually written off.

ICV was a great step...except it was 10 years too late and is still far from flawless. Why don't we have a field for drivers license expiration dates?

Has anybody run a delinquent balance report for their store, up to 90 days? I dare you. Prepare to have a full ream of paper ready, especially if you're a Choose Your Terms store.

And we wonder why so many stores are closing, with a company that seems to encourage loss. I've seen two stores close that made a lot of money, but had bad debt up the wazoo.