I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM

No more severance...

I havent made a post yet but ive followed this site for awhile. After 4 years of working for blockbuster I started to hate the company for reasons every person has said, but i stuck it out bc i liked the customers and employees, only to find myself without a job bc my store closed. So if i didnt already hate bbv I now find out today that our severance has been stopped til "after the deal with dish is done" BUT as payroll said there is no guarantee that we will get anymore severance. Just great! I stopped believing promises a long time ago but i guess i put too much faith in a signed document stating i would receive severance!
The Following User Says Thank You to mscrystal1802 For This Useful Post:
muthaflippin (April 25th, 2011)
Unread April 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM

I sympathize with you since I am experiencing the same issue right now. I was in the March closures, and since almost every store in my district was closed there was no where to go for those SM's unless we wanted to go 1+ hour away. So they offered me a 4 week severance package (less than what I should've got but still something).

The first payment was 2 weeks late and I had to harass my former HR rep for an answer. I finally got 1 auto deposit and needed just 1 more to be officially done with all things Blockbuster only to not get my deposit last friday.

Same BS, "we're waiting for the deal to be finalized". This doesn't change the fact that the agreement I signed said I should have been done with my severance 3 weeks ago. The company being in this week's position should not have prevented me from getting the initial check when they had dictated.

If they decide to not give the remaining severance, due to the fact that they didn't honor their agreed pay schedule, you do have legal options. Just because the company changes hands does not mean they are off the hook.
The Following User Says Thank You to ucismixmaster For This Useful Post:
Ninja (April 29th, 2011)
Unread April 29th, 2011, 08:28 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucismixmaster View Post
I sympathize with you since I am experiencing the same issue right now. I was in the March closures, and since almost every store in my district was closed there was no where to go for those SM's unless we wanted to go 1+ hour away. So they offered me a 4 week severance package (less than what I should've got but still something).

The first payment was 2 weeks late and I had to harass my former HR rep for an answer. I finally got 1 auto deposit and needed just 1 more to be officially done with all things Blockbuster only to not get my deposit last friday.

Same BS, "we're waiting for the deal to be finalized". This doesn't change the fact that the agreement I signed said I should have been done with my severance 3 weeks ago. The company being in this week's position should not have prevented me from getting the initial check when they had dictated.

If they decide to not give the remaining severance, due to the fact that they didn't honor their agreed pay schedule, you do have legal options. Just because the company changes hands does not mean they are off the hook.
Keep that in mind and stick around. If there needs to be a class action law suit, that may just happen. I for one had a signed contract...and I'm sure that there's plenty more than just us two.
Unread April 29th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Im going to contact my states labor board on monday and see what they have to say. I spoke with a guy named Brad or Brian (I cant remember) before my store closed. He was based out of VA and was the HR guy for all the closing stores. He was responsible for making sure people got there severance packages. During our convo he informed me that at that current time he had 628 stores closing... so times that by either 2 or 3 full time employees and add on the other full timers that their stores closed before march and you have a few thousand people who have signed contracts. that can add up to a lot of money, but bbv has no money to pay it.....
Unread April 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Keep that in mind and stick around. If there needs to be a class action law suit, that may just happen. I for one had a signed contract...and I'm sure that there's plenty more than just us two.
I'M SO IN!!!!!!!! Now u got 3!
Unread May 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrystal1802 View Post
that can add up to a lot of money, but bbv has no money to pay it.....
Hmmm, sounds kind of like the problem states and the Feds are having now with all the entitlement programs and union benefits.
Unread May 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscrystal1802 View Post
Im going to contact my states labor board on monday and see what they have to say. I spoke with a guy named Brad or Brian (I cant remember) before my store closed. He was based out of VA and was the HR guy for all the closing stores. He was responsible for making sure people got there severance packages. During our convo he informed me that at that current time he had 628 stores closing... so times that by either 2 or 3 full time employees and add on the other full timers that their stores closed before march and you have a few thousand people who have signed contracts. that can add up to a lot of money, but bbv has no money to pay it.....
Ya but if there was no money, why in the hell would they offer severance in the first place?.... I don't care either way, if they had no way or intention of fulfilling their end of the deal, they should have never offered it.
The Following User Says Thank You to its_me_ASM69 For This Useful Post:
Ninja (May 1st, 2011)
Unread May 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM

Get a lawyer

They are counting on you doing nothing.

Do something.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeDampkring For This Useful Post:
Ninja (May 1st, 2011)
Unread May 25th, 2011, 02:41 AM

I was informed yesterday that funds have been released and that the rest of my severance is expected to be in my mailbox by the end of the week. This is straight from the HR rep for my area in California.

For everyone that is awaiting the rest of their payments, let it be known that it is now time to get your money!

Please post on here if you are told something other than what I was told. If they try to stall me any longer my lawyer is ready to go!