I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Unread April 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM
HelloItsMeMOM's Avatar
HelloItsMeMOM HelloItsMeMOM is offline
IHBB GOD
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In my momma's store
Posts: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post
If the shoe fits....

Anyone who comes to this board to trash a company they formerly worked for because they are disgruntled about their employment years after they left is an idiot in my book. If they just got let go and needed to vent then I understand, but to continue months and years later is just pathetic as far as I am concerned.
With all due respect, BBStoreMgr, this site is called I Hate Blockbuster and it was created for people to bitch about Blockbuster.

__________________
For those who believe no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation is enough.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HelloItsMeMOM For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 26th, 2011), angrYbird (April 26th, 2011), Flantanella (April 26th, 2011), Hot Head (April 26th, 2011)
  #42  
Unread April 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM
psycoma psycoma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post

And what great work are you doing here in the midst of your pity party to insure your justice for injustice? What does attacking every person who defends this company and the constant whining and complaining here do to achieve the justice you so desperately seek?
I did the only thing in my power *to* do, which is more than most. I reported his theft and his abuse to HR and to LP. Nothing is, was, or has been done about any of it.

Quote:
And what great injustice have you suffered? Oh my gosh, you had a horrible SM? You didn't get a raise the last few years from a company bleeding money? You didn't get your unemployment and its BB's fault while it was the state you live in who ultimately made the decision based on the facts presented?
Well, since you asked, I'll tell you. I, along with the entirety of the staff that worked at my store before it closed, were continuously abused, both verbally and emotionally by a man who did not have the first clue how to successfully manage his staff. He took on our store as the district's only multi store manager coming in from another store that had the highest employee turnover in the region. The "senior" employee at his original store has a grand total of 8 months (as of today) under his belt with the company. The rest are roughly 3-6 months, and still turning over. The man continually refers to his staff as stupid, both privately and in front of customers. When, on the day we were to turn the closing store over from rental to sell thru only, we were all scheduled to work until 10pm. With no warning (and no communication), that schedule was changed THAT MORNING to at least midnight (quoting the actual written note on the schedule here) "or later".

I asked him point blank when we'd actually be getting done so that I could tell my husband what time I'd be (possibly) getting off work, and expressed displeasure at the fact that not only was the schedule changed without anyone's knowledge but that the changes were not even communicated to the staff upon our arrival at the store that afternoon. 3 hours after I had gotten there (as he was getting ready to leave and go to a dinner he'd conveniently forgotten about), a co-worker happened to mention that the schedule had changed. When the staff confronted him about this as he was walking out the door to attend to his own personal life at the expense of our own, we were all called 'whining crybaby bitches' who would be fired if we continued to 'fucking complain' about changes to the schedule.

When the TA payout finally did happen, he took the leftover monies for both of the stores he "managed" and pocketed it, rather than using it in the manner it was intended, as a reward to the staff. The amount he STOLE was in excess of $300 or more. I reported this theft to LP at the direction of 482 after sending him a PM on this forum and to my knowledge nothing has been done. He's still managing his remaining open store.

As far as unemployment, I was not denied anything because I did not apply for anything. The night I got called a bitch by my boss was the night I decided I'd had enough and 2 days later, I handed in my keys and moved on to my next employment position, with full disclosure as to why to my new boss, who condemned the "manager's" behavior as any rational and thinking person would.

Quote:
Any therapist worth a damn would tell you how unhealthy and unproductive this is! Those that have been here posting their hate for this company for years is not venting, they are wallowing. You continue to live the misery day in and day out. And for what purpose? You feel better? You won't feel better til you make it a distant memory and move on with your life.
I really hope that any educational degree you have is not based around psychology because if you had to fall back on that as a career, you'd be facing a malpractice suit. Any therapist worth a damn would probably congratulate me for standing up for myself in the face of such deplorable and abusive behavior, both on my own behalf and on the behalf of the people I worked with. What is unhealthy and unproductive is to allow yourself to be repeatedly abused with no thought to how it will affect you long term. Closure is a very big buzz word in psychological circles. Perhaps that's what some of us are looking for. Any therapist worth a damn will tell you that closure is an extremely important and necessary step that many people need to have in order to 'move on with their lives'.

Quote:
Until then, attack me all you want. I enjoy what I do. I will continue to do it
I'm sure that you DO enjoy what it is that you do. For the most part all you really seem to do is bully people and lord yourself over them.

And as for me comparing this company's treatment of its employees to the formation (not salvation you dumbass) of this country, I stand by my metaphor. In both instances, people were abused and bullied and mistreated by the 'powers that be' because up until a certain point, nobody had the sack to pony up and say it was wrong. Regardless of how major or minor, abuse in any form should not be tolerated. Whether or not we CHOSE to work for this company, we did NOT chose to be abused. Have you not heard of Hostile Work Environment? Do people who file lawsuits against employers or fellow employees not have grounds for said lawsuit because they had a CHOICE and CHOSE to stay?? I should not have to uproot my life, spend valuable time, money and resources trying to find a new job just because my current employer does not know how to treat people with respect and dignity and punish those who abuse their subordinates.

Next you're going to start blaming the employee who has to work alone and gets robbed for having the nerve to be traumatized.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psycoma For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 26th, 2011), angrYbird (April 26th, 2011), DeDampkring (April 26th, 2011), easy1234 (April 26th, 2011), fireyjewels (April 26th, 2011), Hot Head (April 26th, 2011), underemployed (April 27th, 2011)
  #43  
Unread April 25th, 2011, 11:54 PM
itirnitii itirnitii is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
Not everyone shares the same opinions, or even the same bond, and he has his opinion as well, so he is free to comment, as am I.

Needless to say, I understand what everyone is saying, but even remotely mentioning how u want blockbuster to go down, etc..is in essence wishing the people who work for it, (the good employees atleast), out of a job.

Sadly, KAw is the only one...the rest have valid points.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to squelch anyone or say anyone in particular shouldn't speak given their viewpoints. I just think, as with any situation, if you don't understand something you shouldn't criticize it. We all are on this board for our own purposes, and those of us that detest Blockbuster and are no longer with the company, we live our day to day lives nary a thought of Block. But, on here, we have formed a community, an enjoyable community, over a common enemy -- and just because we enjoy the company of others with a common thread doesn't mean we're wallowing in misery. It's fun, it's why this website is here, it's what we do, we enjoy doing it, and we wallow in nothing but the camaraderie it brings.

I don't think anyone on this board wishes people out of jobs... I think that's a hasty assumption. You can say that they have a myopic viewpoint on the matter, but you can't outright say they want people to suffer. You can't dictate to someone what their intentions are based on the branching consequences of what their true intentions might be. Most of us here all loved Blockbuster at some point and gave them a solid amount of dedication only to be spat on.

Finally, Blockbuster deserves to fail, and quite honestly they already have. Just because Dish came in on a golden horse doesn't negate that. Any company can survive if a company with deep pockets purchases it and that's nothing really to be proud of. So, I think we should all take satisfaction in that -- as I do.

Even if Blockbuster vanished tomorrow, I would still post here as I enjoy it -- and for the most part it has nothing to do with Blockbuster. It's just that fucking fun!
__________________

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 26th, 2011), Hot Head (April 26th, 2011), its_me_ASM69 (April 26th, 2011), psycoma (April 25th, 2011)
  #44  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 07:37 AM
BBStoreMgr112233 BBStoreMgr112233 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoma View Post
I really hope that any educational degree you have is not based around psychology because if you had to fall back on that as a career, you'd be facing a malpractice suit. Any therapist worth a damn would probably congratulate me for standing up for myself in the face of such deplorable and abusive behavior, both on my own behalf and on the behalf of the people I worked with. What is unhealthy and unproductive is to allow yourself to be repeatedly abused with no thought to how it will affect you long term. Closure is a very big buzz word in psychological circles. Perhaps that's what some of us are looking for. Any therapist worth a damn will tell you that closure is an extremely important and necessary step that many people need to have in order to 'move on with their lives'.
First off, I have never said or felt that many of the people here don't have a legitimate reason for disliking this company or its employment with it. What I attacked was the many months and years spent proclaiming it. Do I believe everyone here? No. Many people were fired for legitimate reasons but that wouldn't make for good theater would it? Do even the legitimate ones tend to exaggerate the facts behind their stories? Absolutely!

And thank you for proving the point I made (the point that started this whole thing) while trying to argue with me. Never did I say people shouldn't stand up for themselves. Never did I say people should just shut up and take it. I have said over and over if you don't like your job then quit. Should you have to quit? No! But if it is really that bad, isn't that the best choice? I mean you wouldn't stay in an abusive relationship would you? You wouldn't continue to try and fix a relationship where your spouse was continously abusive would you?

You say, "Closure is a very big buzz word in physchological circles". Wasn't that exactly my whole point in speaking out against people posting for months and years after? Isn't that the concept of "move on with their lives"? So instead of jumping on me at every opportunity, maybe you can use your own words there and encourage the closure for so many here.

While all the haters here continously jump on me at every turn, call me out in new threads, call me names and curse at me you have the nerve to call me the bully? LOL I am the minority speaking up for the company I work for. I often will walk away without the final word but yet I am the bully?

It just really cracks me up how you write a whole paragraph supporting what I said in my original post after trashing me in the post before for saying the same thing but in different words. Maybe your old SM had a point. Or is your dislike for me so strong that you feel the need to attack me even when you agree with me?
  #45  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
BBStoreMgr112233 BBStoreMgr112233 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by itirnitii View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to squelch anyone or say anyone in particular shouldn't speak given their viewpoints. I just think, as with any situation, if you don't understand something you shouldn't criticize it. We all are on this board for our own purposes, and those of us that detest Blockbuster and are no longer with the company, we live our day to day lives nary a thought of Block. But, on here, we have formed a community, an enjoyable community, over a common enemy -- and just because we enjoy the company of others with a common thread doesn't mean we're wallowing in misery. It's fun, it's why this website is here, it's what we do, we enjoy doing it, and we wallow in nothing but the camaraderie it brings.

I don't think anyone on this board wishes people out of jobs... I think that's a hasty assumption. You can say that they have a myopic viewpoint on the matter, but you can't outright say they want people to suffer. You can't dictate to someone what their intentions are based on the branching consequences of what their true intentions might be. Most of us here all loved Blockbuster at some point and gave them a solid amount of dedication only to be spat on.

Finally, Blockbuster deserves to fail, and quite honestly they already have. Just because Dish came in on a golden horse doesn't negate that. Any company can survive if a company with deep pockets purchases it and that's nothing really to be proud of. So, I think we should all take satisfaction in that -- as I do.

Even if Blockbuster vanished tomorrow, I would still post here as I enjoy it -- and for the most part it has nothing to do with Blockbuster. It's just that fucking fun!
I understand your point and agree with most of it. I understand the common thread and the camaraderie it brings.

However, while you may go through your daily life without thinking of Blockbuster, I don't think you can say that is true for many that post here since they post every couple hours of every day.

I also think that "fun" line gets crossed by most. It is more of a mission for some rather than entertainment.

And I wish more former employees here were like you. I probably wouldn't be such a bad guy if they were.
  #46  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 08:12 AM
psycoma psycoma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post

Should you have to quit? No! But if it is really that bad, isn't that the best choice? I mean you wouldn't stay in an abusive relationship would you? You wouldn't continue to try and fix a relationship where your spouse was continously abusive would you?
I don't think in terms of abuses that you can compare a relationship to a job with regard to how you should handle it. Unless there is physical violence involved, you cannot sue a spouse for abusing you. But this country has put laws in place specifically to PREVENT work place abuses because it is a completely different set of circumstances. No, I don't believe that quitting is the best choice when it comes to your livelihood. If it is a job that you love, a job that you're good at, a job you've trained for or gotten a degree to have, why should you have to quit because your employer is so focused on trying to make money (or trying not to lose it) that they refuse to address work place abuses when they occur? Blockbuster has a lot of fun blustering around saying how theft, etc will not be tolerated and that you should report it whenever you can. But as is evidenced by this company's extensive history both litigious in nature and simple "disgruntled former employee" conversation, there is rarely ever action taken against upper store level management unless it's someone that they're looking to get rid of anyway. At best, the people who are reporting these things are often then targeted in a supposedly 'zero tolerance for retribution' environment and forced out the door.

Quote:
You say, "Closure is a very big buzz word in physchological circles". Wasn't that exactly my whole point in speaking out against people posting for months and years after? Isn't that the concept of "move on with their lives"? So instead of jumping on me at every opportunity, maybe you can use your own words there and encourage the closure for so many here.
I'd like to point out for the record that I do NOT jump on you at every opportunity, but only when I feel that what you're saying is a load of horse pucky. In the thread the other night, I actually came out on your side with regard to jeremy piven and his 39 years old working for blockbuster spam. As you can see, I AM capable of being rational and reasonable when the situation and circumstances call for it. As for "closure", anybody with any experience in therapeutic situations will tell you that there is no "template" when it comes to closure. Closure is different for everyone. We'll use being in an abusive relationship as the example since you opened that door. For one person, simply having the courage to walk out the door after years of being under someone else's thumb is closure. For another person, they'll want some sort of personal retribution and they might resort to physical violence or simply burning all their partner's shit on the way out the door. For still other people, perhaps the only way they'll be able to move on is to see the person put behind bars for whatever physical, mental or emotional violence was done to them. (and yes I realize that emotional and mental violence is not really grounds for incarceration unless accompanied by some sort of documented physical violence).

You cannot rubber stamp what someone's emotional reaction to a situation SHOULD be based upon your own set of morals and ethics and your own emotional checklist with what YOU need to be personally healthy and well balanced.

Quote:
While all the haters here continously jump on me at every turn, call me out in new threads, call me names and curse at me you have the nerve to call me the bully? LOL I am the minority speaking up for the company I work for. I often will walk away without the final word but yet I am the bully?
I addressed this in one of the first back-and-forths you and had and at that time, I pointed out that for the most part the people who scream at you are seen more as Sam Kinison screaming on stage at people for being stupid than getting in their face and aggressively attacking not only their personal thought processes but also educational backgrounds. Just because you don't have more people on your side does not make you any less of a bully. Whether you attack and antagonize one person or one hundred, it doesn't change the underlying intent. And you sir (and yes I may be in the minority here but I'm convinced you ARE in fact male) give just as good as you get, dragging people into things when they have not personally attacked you on those topics of conversation. I cite case in point someone asking about new movies coming out and you dragging "3 Idiots" into the mix.

I may "jump all over you" with regard to the things you say but it is NEVER an instigation, but always as I have said before a response or reply to something you have posted that I feel is a pile of shit in nature. I am not a band wagon type of person and I will seldom jump in someone's shit just because it seems to be the thing to do. If you draw my ire, it is because of something I have seen you post that I feel requires a reply from someone who's able to string together a reasonable and rational set of comments. Whether or not you agree with them is another matter entirely.

Quote:
It just really cracks me up how you write a whole paragraph supporting what I said in my original post after trashing me in the post before for saying the same thing but in different words. Maybe your old SM had a point. Or is your dislike for me so strong that you feel the need to attack me even when you agree with me?
You're going to have to help me out here and quote specifically what it is that I'm agreeing with you on because on this topic, I don't believe I've agreed with you once. So please show me where that is so I can re-evaluate my position on the matter. And yes, my dislike for you is VERY strong, but again, I'll need to see where I agreed with you before I can say whether or not I'd still attack you over it.
  #47  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
BBStoreMgr112233 BBStoreMgr112233 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
The quote you attacked was:

Anyone who comes to this board to trash a company they formerly worked for because they are disgruntled about their employment years after they left is an idiot in my book. If they just got let go and needed to vent then I understand, but to continue months and years later is just pathetic as far as I am concerned.

You then said:

Any therapist worth a damn will tell you that closure is an extremely important and necessary step that many people need to have in order to 'move on with their lives'

Unless you believe closure takes years, in the regards of being a disgruntled employee, then we said the same thing, just different words. And before you even bother, sure I can see where other experiences in life closure may take years, such as being an abused spouse.

While you may try to be more politically correct in the way you speak, I could care less. I call them as I see them. If being brutally honest with my thoughts makes me a bully, then a bully I am. I am not here to be your buddy. I am not here to tuck you in at night. I am here to share my thoughts and my opinions. If reading them causes your blood to boil, maybe you should add me to your ignore list.

Now I have other things to do today so carry on if you wish.
  #48  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Flantanella Flantanella is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
Please quote me ANY person who has said "I wish thousands of people out of jobs" on this board.

He wont qoute you thats how sweet david reacts. He said the same thing to me and never respond when I asked the same question. I even told him tricks to get better responses on job sites. Still wants to be on the sinking ship
The Following User Says Thank You to Flantanella For This Useful Post:
Hot Head (April 26th, 2011)
  #49  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
psycoma psycoma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post
The quote you attacked was:

Unless you believe closure takes years, in the regards of being a disgruntled employee, then we said the same thing, just different words. And before you even bother, sure I can see where other experiences in life closure may take years, such as being an abused spouse.
That is (one of many areas) where we differ. I would never presume to dictate how long it might take someone to get over something, regardless of the situation. Something a very smart person once told me and it rings true to this day; "Sometimes it is not the abuse that causes the problem but the abuser." There are as many different situations as there are people who experience them. You have no idea what someone has had to go through in their life that might have impact on exactly how a future situation plays out with regard to how it affects them. To give you an example, I've worked for this company on 2 separate occasions; once several years ago and most recently a couple of months ago.

During my first stint with the company, I stayed in my ASM position for longer than I probably should have, decided I'd had enough and put in my two weeks notice. It was accepted and my last day was noted on the in store calendar. This was a Friday. That Sunday, my SM showed up at the store, let me close for the day, count the drawers, etc and then very unceremoniously told me that she'd need my keys. No dinner, no lube, no 'hey thanks for bothering to give notice instead of just walking out.' Just a nice 'fuck off, you're no longer needed'. To this day, that still chaps my ass but it's not something I dwell on. I moved on but every once in awhile I think of it and I smile a little bit because shortly thereafter, the DM responsible for that decision was fired because he was ripping off the stores in his district in enormous proportions. Karma is a bitch. That experience played heavily on my mind when I chose to leave this time, on my terms and by my own decision. I did not give the company time to stab me in the back. I got a job and handed in my keys. No notice, no niceties, this time it was MY turn to say "Fuck off, you're no longer needed."

I got my closure. And yes, it took me years. (and before you go down THAT road, no i did not go back to working there with that thought in mind. I had a very well paying job, 9-5, M-F, not retail and not sales. But I got pregnant and daycare being what it is, my husband and I decided that for us it would be better for him to keep his 9-5 job and for me to find something part time on the nights and weekends. My former boss was still an SM and she hired me back on the spot)

Quote:
While you may try to be more politically correct in the way you speak, I could care less. I call them as I see them. If being brutally honest with my thoughts makes me a bully, then a bully I am. I am not here to be your buddy. I am not here to tuck you in at night. I am here to share my thoughts and my opinions. If reading them causes your blood to boil, maybe you should add me to your ignore list.
As has been stated numerous times before by several different people, you cannot sit there and say 'I don't care what you think of me! I'm going to say whatever I want whenever I want and I could give fuckall if it hurts your feelings or offends you!!' and in the next breath whine about people 'calling you out, name calling, picking on you, blah blah blah.' You can't have it both ways. Either be the uncaring prick you claim to be or stop treating people like shit. They won't both work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psycoma For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 26th, 2011), Hot Head (April 26th, 2011)
  #50  
Unread April 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
BBStoreMgr112233 BBStoreMgr112233 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoma View Post
As has been stated numerous times before by several different people, you cannot sit there and say 'I don't care what you think of me! I'm going to say whatever I want whenever I want and I could give fuckall if it hurts your feelings or offends you!!' and in the next breath whine about people 'calling you out, name calling, picking on you, blah blah blah.' You can't have it both ways. Either be the uncaring prick you claim to be or stop treating people like shit. They won't both work.
I am not complaining, nor am I bothered by people picking on me or calling me out. I am just pointing out that the same behavior you condemn me for is the same behaviors I am subjected to. Unlike you, I have a lot thicker skin and could really care less. I sleep just fine at night.

And letting people go before their notice is fulfilled is something I have seen many times, and something I often practice myself. The quality of someone's work who has decided to leave a company greatly declines after that decision is made. It is a smart business decision to politely accept someone's notice and go ahead and let them go without them fulfilling it. While I understand your frustration since you probably were counting on that income for those last two weeks, I certainly can understand an employer choosing not to allow you to work out that notice. I hardly think that is something to hold a grudge over.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:48 PM.


vBulletin Version 3.7.1
© 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.