I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread April 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Also keep in mind that even though blockbuster is 'Employment At Will', if you resign, they accept your written resignation and a last day of employment is agreed upon and documented, that is considered an employment contract. Checking first with your local state labor laws (the ones in my state side with the employee on this one), if you find yourself suddenly asked to leave prior to that date and they make no offer of paying you out until that date, you're entitled to be paid that money.

This happened to me the last time I stopped working here and I was able to not only get a paycheck for the following 2 weeks but also an additional vacation day because the date agreed upon put me into the next month of PTO earnings. However until I "threatened" them with a letter that had a CC at the bottom to a law firm saying I would pursue legal action because I couldn't get anybody to talk to me, suddenly I couldn't answer my phone fast enough. All comes down to knowing your rights.
The Following User Says Thank You to psycoma For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 26th, 2011)
Unread April 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM

I was a SM for BB. My original store closed in February. Thought I was going to get laid off and be eligible for the normal severance (2 weeks pay for each year, plus unused PTO) but I was one of 3 people from that store who were kept. The last week that store was open my DM told me I would be going to another store. The final week (transfers/handing over keys) I found out that my new store would be closing in April. My luck, huh? The number of April closings in my area was insane. Anyway my first week at my new store was the week we flipped. Then I found out the severance package had changed. No two weeks pay for each year worked. Instead SMs were to get a "Retention Bonus" if they stayed through close and were not placed at another store. Also there was a chance to get a TA Bonus (seperate from the $5 per TA) and a TNR Bonus. Nobody came close to the TA Bonus, but I, like many, hit the TNR Bonus. I found out the day Dish won the auction that I would be let go. About 90% of the people in April closing stores around here were let go.

Just recieved my last paycheck. It included my last two weeks pay, unused PTO and the TNR Bonus. I have yet to recieve the Retention Bonus. I would have recieved much more under the old severance package. That said, BB was constantly changing things up the last 4 months due to the bankruptcy/sale of the company. In the April closes, people below SM didn't get anything but unused PTO. It's tough, but I doubt Dish is overly concerned about the people leaving the payroll. They have the unenviable task on deciding how many stores will remain open. Then they have to somehow reach out to the employees that remain with the company. So many good people (and some not so good) have been let go this year. Those that remain are on edge. They have seen stores close all around them. They have seen people let go. They have endured a declining number of actives, increased sales pressure, bankruptcy and now the sale of the company. A lot of dedicated people remain at the store level, and I would think Dish is going to worry about them more than those that just exited the company. Sucks for me or anyone else that was recently laid off, but I would not be shocked if they once again change things up after we've left.

I worked hard and I wanted BB to succeed. As a SM I put in far more hours than were required. I worked 6 days or more 13 of my last 16 weeks. 50-60 hour weeks were my norm, even 70+ a few times. I cared about my store, my employees and my customers. Surprisingly I'm not bitter about leaving. I did my best, even after I found out I would not be kept. That said I would like to get everything promised to me. And I won't feel the least bit guilty about recieving unemployment for the first time in my life. I earned it and want to make sure I choose the best employment opportunity I can find instead of taking the first mediocre offer that comes my way.

Best of luck to all that remain. I truly hope things turn around. And best of luck to those who recently exited the company. I hope you find something that is enjoyable, meaningful and pays the bills!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to store_closer For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 26th, 2011), angrYbird (April 26th, 2011), BBStoreMgr112233 (April 26th, 2011), DavidNewlySL (April 26th, 2011), muthaflippin (April 28th, 2011), psycoma (April 26th, 2011), Veruka_Salt (April 28th, 2011)
Unread April 26th, 2011, 03:20 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by store_closer View Post
Surprisingly I'm not bitter about leaving. !
Unlike some of the trolls that are posting here.....
The top Poster!
Unread April 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
I was a SM for BB. My original store closed in February. Thought I was going to get laid off and be eligible for the normal severance (2 weeks pay for each year, plus unused PTO) but I was one of 3 people from that store who were kept. The last week that store was open my DM told me I would be going to another store. The final week (transfers/handing over keys) I found out that my new store would be closing in April. My luck, huh? The number of April closings in my area was insane. Anyway my first week at my new store was the week we flipped. Then I found out the severance package had changed. No two weeks pay for each year worked. Instead SMs were to get a "Retention Bonus" if they stayed through close and were not placed at another store. Also there was a chance to get a TA Bonus (seperate from the $5 per TA) and a TNR Bonus. Nobody came close to the TA Bonus, but I, like many, hit the TNR Bonus. I found out the day Dish won the auction that I would be let go. About 90% of the people in April closing stores around here were let go.

Just recieved my last paycheck. It included my last two weeks pay, unused PTO and the TNR Bonus. I have yet to recieve the Retention Bonus. I would have recieved much more under the old severance package. That said, BB was constantly changing things up the last 4 months due to the bankruptcy/sale of the company. In the April closes, people below SM didn't get anything but unused PTO. It's tough, but I doubt Dish is overly concerned about the people leaving the payroll. They have the unenviable task on deciding how many stores will remain open. Then they have to somehow reach out to the employees that remain with the company. So many good people (and some not so good) have been let go this year. Those that remain are on edge. They have seen stores close all around them. They have seen people let go. They have endured a declining number of actives, increased sales pressure, bankruptcy and now the sale of the company. A lot of dedicated people remain at the store level, and I would think Dish is going to worry about them more than those that just exited the company. Sucks for me or anyone else that was recently laid off, but I would not be shocked if they once again change things up after we've left.

I worked hard and I wanted BB to succeed. As a SM I put in far more hours than were required. I worked 6 days or more 13 of my last 16 weeks. 50-60 hour weeks were my norm, even 70+ a few times. I cared about my store, my employees and my customers. Surprisingly I'm not bitter about leaving. I did my best, even after I found out I would not be kept. That said I would like to get everything promised to me. And I won't feel the least bit guilty about recieving unemployment for the first time in my life. I earned it and want to make sure I choose the best employment opportunity I can find instead of taking the first mediocre offer that comes my way.

Best of luck to all that remain. I truly hope things turn around. And best of luck to those who recently exited the company. I hope you find something that is enjoyable, meaningful and pays the bills!
Thank you for this, I fully respect you, and appreciate you wishing us still here the best, and I hope you find what u are looking for.
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
Unread April 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baby Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Hey everyone...
My store closed last month and my district was full so I was let go. I filled my severence paperwork out and I got a few weeks worth...

My question is, do we get paid in lump, or does it get spread out those weeks and you get it every two weeks?

Thanks in advance
Wow, you got severance? How did you luck out? :P Severance, if you were lucky enough to get it (I was not) is paid biweekly until it runs out. And depending on which state you live in, you cannot file for UEB until you've been paid off. You might want to look into that.
Unread April 26th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:

That may have been the best post on this forum I have read to date. I actually had to check my browser to make sure I wasn't in the wrong place.

You deserve far better than you received and I appreciate your attitude despite the circumstances. I wish you the best of luck with whatever company is fortunate enough to have you.
Unread April 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM

um, do you know what a retention bonus is? because you're not getting one.

if you were to close your store, and be transferred to another, you would get a retention bonus.

a retention bonus is when the company decides to keep you, which they clearly didn't keep you.

so keep waiting. you have been misinformed by _______, no surprise.

although you should be more aware of what a retention bonus actually is anyway.
Unread April 26th, 2011, 10:54 PM

Jeremy: Yes I'm aware of what it is. This was a bonus (or severance) to retain SMs through the entire store close. To keep people from bolting. If you were transferred, you didn't get it because you kept your job. If you left before the store close you were not getting this. The other bonuses were to be paid off whether or not you remained. The wording may be confusing, but indeed this is what it was for. I've got the paperwork. Anyway thanks for your concern!
Unread April 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM

you got the paperwork and nothing else, because you're not reading what i typed.

you are not aware of what a retention bonus is, because you're not getting one!

as far as blockbuster goes, you don't get a retention bonus for sticking around a sinking ship to the end, that doesnt mean shit that you showed up for your regular, every day job. you get the retention bonus with blockbuster if you stick it to the end, and they decide to keep you on board.

what you are telling me is complete horseshit and the normal runaround that dm's, etc feed their employees. you, like most, are a sucker and listen/believe everything they say to you as being the truth, and honesty. which is never the case. they can tell you one thing, what actually happens is another.

you didnt get a retention bonus, you are not going to get a retention bonus, period. as an honest, real, truthful, smart, blockbuster video knowing human being, i know what im talking about. i have been through all of this nonsense.

but hey, dont listen to me. just sit around waiting for your miracle retention bonus to come from blockbuster that still hasnt arrived yet, even though you've received all of your other pay from the company already. (keep waiting).
Unread April 28th, 2011, 03:41 AM

This clip from the MOTW is just in for those of you still wanting severance pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWkECFGHRI