I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread January 30th, 2013, 01:11 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVTyrant View Post
My name is Derek and was hired as a Store Manager from the outside back in 2000, based on my management background. I worked in MD primarily near the Towson area and stayed with the company until 2006.

I eventually became a District Training Store Manager, but then was asked to take over a very challenging store in Towson, that was a complete beast of a store ... and this store was simply not able to be a training store.

I could go on and on about that store, but nobody ran that damn store like I did. So much unbelievable hand-holding needed in that area ... I dare say 3 out of 5 customers that walked through the door needed floor assistance or hand-holding ... 3 phone lines constantly lit up with people calling the store ... and constantly producing new memberships since it was a college area and account numbers frequently were eliminated from the system after inactivity, and nobody kept their cards to reactive the accounts.

Because it was a college area, nobody had any money to spend either.

Oh, and don't turn your back, because people liked to shoplift in this location, as well.

You have not seen anything like this place, and I have worked at multiple stores. So I know what is normal and what is not.

Because of all of this extra labor and attention needed (since the customers demanded it here), it was almost impossible to get anything done in the store. It was just a very labor intensive store.

But somehow I was able to manage that beast of a place better than any of my predecessors. I increased sales, significantly reduced turnover, significantly reduced shrink, and raised operational and merchandising standards to commendable levels. Mystery shop score averaged 95% and my store was voted Best Customer Service in our Region. At this place, that was a tremendous compliment.

I was so miserable at the end, but I had a stretch assignment as a DL with having 3 stores in addition to my home store. I knew a change was needed, but I could see the writing on the wall that this was more of the same, just at a higher level. Plus, it was difficult for me to lash out at my fellow store managers (and I was pretty strict) since I knew how the resources at the time were next to nothing, and store managers were already working well over 48 hours or more per week.

I left in 2006 to work as a Marketing Representative with Dole Food Company and worked the Mid-Atlantic territory. I was on the road almost every week and in and out of airports. I had a great time doing this.

Today, I work for a consulting firm in the field of energy-efficiency. I make a great salary. I own my own home. I work about 44 hours average per week, regular hours. And I'm happy.

My life drastically improved after leaving Blockbuster. Giving it 6 years of my life was too much and that had a negative impact on my career, frankly. I was lucky I was able to bounce back due to friends I have networked with over the years.

Looking back, this was a horrible company to work for past 2004. I am so glad this company got what it had coming to it.
I know that store! My ex went to Towson. I haven't been down that way since about 2004. I wonder which round of closings tore it down.
Unread January 30th, 2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedDreams View Post
I know that store! My ex went to Towson. I haven't been down that way since about 2004. I wonder which round of closings tore it down.
I think it closed around 2009 or 2010. It is now a MovieStop and GameStop store combined. It looks good, as I've gone in it since the conversion to snoop around.

The problem is that this business is just virtually dead at this point. Everyone either goes online to make purchases or shops at the big box retailers. There is just no money in the brick and mortar concept for movies and games anymore, in my opinion.

I lost a lot of the hair on my head managing that damn store. If you wanted the store's operations at the standard I wanted it ... which mimicked corporate's standards ... the SM had to consistently work anywhere between 50-60 hours a week. With the amount of customer hand-holding needed at that place and excessive phone calls, the labor chart simply did not allow for anything less. It just beat the Hell out of you over time. I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did before I told myself I had to get out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBVTyrant For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 31st, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (January 30th, 2013)
Unread January 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
I guess I've been the most transparent of anyone here, but my name is Marc and I own Orbit DVD in Asheville, NC. I worked at Blockbuster from 1999 - 2003.

This spring marks an important event in my life. While working at BBV, we got dozens of requests to carry two highly-anticipated documentaries: LOST IN LA MANCHA and Wilco's I AM TRYING TO BREAK YOUR HEART. Knowing the area and clientele I knew these would make the store hundreds of dollars. They never came. They refused to send them. We were told that if a SM ordered any unapproved product then they would be terminated. This wasn't THE factor that pushed me to open my own store, but it was a huge factor nevertheless. Thank you Blockbuster!

Some people on here think I bullshit about how well I'm doing, but 2012 was the best year ever for Orbit DVD. Now for full disclosure I closed my smaller downtown store that was doing fine (more personal reasons), but I have never felt more positive about what I am doing than right now. Rentals are still the majority of my income (and UP 25% in December for some reason), but I have explored other avenues that have been successful. I sell video games going back to the Atari, and video game customers are always the first in the store. I have always sold on Amazon, but we did a major push with the buy/sell/trade and it has paid off in spades last year.

Blockbuster has blown it year after year. They could have positioned themselves with the game stores, but they could never fully commit. Hastings is on Amazon as a reseller, why not BBV? They didn't commit to the buy sell trade market, but they could have been the biggest. It looks like this cycle is going to continue. Blockbuster Wireless?

Look me up on Facebook. Is there a group on there?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orbit...0185069?ref=hl

Well you aren't that far away from me at all. I visit the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC a couple times a year.
Unread January 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVTyrant View Post
I think it closed around 2009 or 2010. It is now a MovieStop and GameStop store combined. It looks good, as I've gone in it since the conversion to snoop around.

The problem is that this business is just virtually dead at this point. Everyone either goes online to make purchases or shops at the big box retailers. There is just no money in the brick and mortar concept for movies and games anymore, in my opinion.

I lost a lot of the hair on my head managing that damn store. If you wanted the store's operations at the standard I wanted it ... which mimicked corporate's standards ... the SM had to consistently work anywhere between 50-60 hours a week. With the amount of customer hand-holding needed at that place and excessive phone calls, the labor chart simply did not allow for anything less. It just beat the Hell out of you over time. I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did before I told myself I had to get out.
On the way home last weekend, I stopped at the BB nearest to me (soon to be the only one left in my town after the next round of closings is completed) to rent a new release film. Apparently, this particular store location has consistently performed very well -- it is reportedly 4th-best performing store in the nation. So naturally, I walked into the store and the movie I wanted was checked out. When I got home, I decided on a whim to download the Amazon Instant Video app to my PS3. I loaded up the app, saw a complete selection of new release films, and paid to watch the one I had wanted to rent at Blockbuster. It was that easy.

I don't see why anyone rents movies from Blockbuster anymore -- new releases are 3 dollars for every single day of the rental (not just for the first day anymore), it means spending gas money to go to a Blockbuster, and they're likely to be checked-out of the new release movie you want to watch. I don't understand why more people don't just use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (for new releases). Those two services would absolutely have all of someone's renting preferences covered.
Unread January 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutztomerControl View Post
Well you aren't that far away from me at all. I visit the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC a couple times a year.
Nothing in town is far away. I'm on Haywood Rd. in West Asheville.
Unread January 30th, 2013, 08:55 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceCake View Post
On the way home last weekend, I stopped at the BB nearest to me (soon to be the only one left in my town after the next round of closings is completed) to rent a new release film. Apparently, this particular store location has consistently performed very well -- it is reportedly 4th-best performing store in the nation. So naturally, I walked into the store and the movie I wanted was checked out. When I got home, I decided on a whim to download the Amazon Instant Video app to my PS3. I loaded up the app, saw a complete selection of new release films, and paid to watch the one I had wanted to rent at Blockbuster. It was that easy.

I don't see why anyone rents movies from Blockbuster anymore -- new releases are 3 dollars for every single day of the rental (not just for the first day anymore), it means spending gas money to go to a Blockbuster, and they're likely to be checked-out of the new release movie you want to watch. I don't understand why more people don't just use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (for new releases). Those two services would absolutely have all of someone's renting preferences covered.

4th in the nation huh? Who told you that? did they? lol...I know why people still rent from brick and mortar, well what the customers who come into the stores have told me, they like to browse, look at the boxes, and a lot of movies are 1.99 and .99, that cost 2-3 dollars to download, and not everyone likes streaming, or the speed of streaming, to each his own there spice, this is why MOm and pops are popping back up again. Netflix has a lot of older titles, and I guarantee soon the studios will want more money and make streaming and box services wait even longer for movies, or charge more, which send people flocking.

I am not defending blockbuster do not take it that way, but I strongly feel if they didnt have such asshats working in corporate, listened to the store managers more often, the stores would have better product and perform better, (of course considering u had an intelligent manager which by a lot I have encountered they shouldnt have been.)

This is why there is so many other services, cause not everyone likes streaming, not everyone likes by mail, not everyone wants to watch a movie on their phone or depend on their internet connections. Not every movie people want is available on streaming, sometimes the old brick and mortar store has the title you wanted.

Ask orbit, he will tell you how if a store is ran correctly, brick and mortar is still highly relevant.
I learned that dreams donít work without action; I learned that no one could stop me but me. I learned that love is stronger than hate. And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNewlySL For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (January 31st, 2013)
Unread January 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewlySL View Post
4th in the nation huh? Who told you that? did they? lol...I know why people still rent from brick and mortar, well what the customers who come into the stores have told me, they like to browse, look at the boxes, and a lot of movies are 1.99 and .99, that cost 2-3 dollars to download, and not everyone likes streaming, or the speed of streaming, to each his own there spice, this is why MOm and pops are popping back up again. Netflix has a lot of older titles, and I guarantee soon the studios will want more money and make streaming and box services wait even longer for movies, or charge more, which send people flocking.

I am not defending blockbuster do not take it that way, but I strongly feel if they didnt have such asshats working in corporate, listened to the store managers more often, the stores would have better product and perform better, (of course considering u had an intelligent manager which by a lot I have encountered they shouldnt have been.)

This is why there is so many other services, cause not everyone likes streaming, not everyone likes by mail, not everyone wants to watch a movie on their phone or depend on their internet connections. Not every movie people want is available on streaming, sometimes the old brick and mortar store has the title you wanted.

Ask orbit, he will tell you how if a store is ran correctly, brick and mortar is still highly relevant.
LOL, yep -- the employees at this particular store have consistently stated for several years that they are the 4th best performing store in the nation, although they also mentioned that they get ragged on for not selling enough passes or Coke bundles (!).

I actually don't even have Netflix, simply because I don't care to rent older movies (I watch new releases when they come out and don't care about renting something I've already seen). That is the reason I've continued to rent movies from BB over the years. However, ever since I discovered Amazon Instant Video a couple weeks ago, I haven't stepped foot in a BB because Amazon actually carries new release films. They might be more expensive than BB, but when you consider that BB now charges 3$/day for every day of the rental, it really isn't more expensive, especially when you consider that it costs gas money to go out of your way to go to BB. As far as I know, Amazon Instant Video is the only streaming service that rents new releases, but if there are any others, I'd be curious to learn about them. Amazon's service is also convenient because the app can be downloaded to a PS3 or X360, which means I get to watch movies on my TV and don't have to do it on my phone.
Unread January 31st, 2013, 03:09 AM

I haven't posted in here in foreeeever, mostly because I finally let go of my hate for all things BBV, and i'm sure most of you don't remember lil' old me, but i'm going to unmask just for the hell of it to complete my cleansing ritual

My name is Kat, and I worked for Blockbuster Canada in Montreal for almost 5 years, from January 2007 until June 2011. I started as a CSR and within a year was promoted to ASM, and SM the year after that. Left when the first round of closures hit Canada. I was offered a transfer to a store if I was willing to make an hour and a half commute daily on public transit to get to work..I politely (maybe not so politely) declined, figuring that I might as well jump off the Titanic while there were still lifeboats available. The ship finally sank 6 months later.

I honestly don't remember anymore all of the shitty things that happened to me while working for Blockbuster, but I know there were a LOT. Between the abuse from customers, the bullshit from the higher ups and the general stress of working with a bunch of incompetent morons (there are exceptions to that, and they know who they are), I was a walking ball of rage 24/7. The only positive things to come out of my experience are the friends I made while working, some of whom I consider my closest friends today, and the fact that I imagine being able to work in just about any environment now, having survived BBV.

Right now my job is taking care of my mother, but I AM getting back into the job market and the thought of having to relive my Blockbuster experience in interviews makes my eye twitch, but, them's the breaks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CoffeeCup For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 31st, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (January 31st, 2013), inkedangel (January 31st, 2013), johnlow71 (January 31st, 2013)
Unread January 31st, 2013, 06:43 AM
IHBB GOD

Whatever you do, don't criticize BBV in your interview. I learned that prospective employers don't appreciate when you bad-mouth previous ones
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (February 2nd, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (January 31st, 2013), inkedangel (January 31st, 2013), zooworker (January 31st, 2013)
Unread January 31st, 2013, 08:09 AM
IHBB GOD

truth be told blockbuster kicked ass for at least 2 decades so it worked for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (January 31st, 2013), inkedangel (January 31st, 2013)