I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread June 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM

Thumbs down Uh oh. Interview for Store Manager...

My husband has an interview for a store manager position. I was just doing some research and I found this site. Not a good sign!!!! I didn't know there was a whole site dedicated to how much people hate Blockbuster. Anyway..he got called for his 2nd interview and we're wondering how many interviews there are total? Anyone know? Also, what can he expect the pay to be? Shitty?? Thanks!
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM

I am always one to say dont knock it before you try it but, TRUST me and all of the other post that will probally follow, if you love your husband, do NOT let him get this job!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A good asm For This Useful Post:
ClutztomerControl (June 23rd, 2009), jeremy piven (June 22nd, 2009), PilotKelson1056 (June 23rd, 2009)
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo View Post
My husband has an interview for a store manager position. I was just doing some research and I found this site. Not a good sign!!!! I didn't know there was a whole site dedicated to how much people hate Blockbuster. Anyway..he got called for his 2nd interview and we're wondering how many interviews there are total? Anyone know? Also, what can he expect the pay to be? Shitty?? Thanks!
In my personal experience...PASS!! Usually, there are two interviews, and then an offer as the DL/DM has to get approval from the RDO for the official offer. In the beginning, I was gung-ho about joining the team as an SM, but once I joined I was treated like shit. First off, as an SM you don't get breaks! You are expected to have no life, my wife HATED IT. The company is not family friendly, as I was told to chose BBV over being at my sons birth, AND when I had to rush my wife into the ER for possible preterm labor.

The company presents itself one way, but depending on your district and upper management, is totally different. You husband will become a slave to the job, and regret the decision to join.

FYI...prior to BBV, I have a degree in City Planning, so I have a varied background. I have owned my own video store, been a City Planner, been a VP of Management in a Theater chain, and worked for a hi-tech company, ALL SALARIED and ALL making more than BBV. BBV, thinks it is so much more important than any of the prior positions, and takes itself seriously.

I can only advise you DO NOT LET YOUR HUSBAND DO IT!

I now work for another major corporation and they couldn't believe it when I told them BBV expectation and policies. So far, this companies training, pay, benefits and culture is MUCH better and I feel far more appreciated for it.

Just my two-cents, but to each their own!
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
IHBB GOD

If you would like to have a nice job for the next 3-6 months, please apply. If you want to work longer than 6 months, please be ready for your District Manager to begin treating you like a worthless/expendable employee. They will will threaten that "you will be fired" or at least, "I'm going to have to write you up" every week that you dont meet the sales goals...and you WONT make the sales goals. Ask anyone on this board, "In the last 3 months how many times has Blockbuster changed the Return Policy"?....At last count it was 3 times...and every time they change it means that you have to pretend that you agree with it, and then try to sell it as a "GREAT DEAL" to your customers. It's not worth it, trust me...no matter what anyone with over 100 posts replies after me...lol.
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM

It can't hurt to attend the interview - just tell him to ask a lot of questions. He should ask what happened to the last person in the position, as well as how the store is performing. It'd suck to inherit a store that may be on the chopping block in 6 months. How long has the current staff been around (will a majority of them be gone after the summer for college?). He should check out the store as a customer if he hasn't already to get an idea on what needs improvement.
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
If you would like to have a nice job for the next 3-6 months, please apply. If you want to work longer than 6 months, please be ready for your District Manager to begin treating you like a worthless/expendable employee. They will will threaten that "you will be fired" or at least, "I'm going to have to write you up" every week that you dont meet the sales goals...and you WONT make the sales goals. Ask anyone on this board, "In the last 3 months how many times has Blockbuster changed the Return Policy"?....At last count it was 3 times...and every time they change it means that you have to pretend that you agree with it, and then try to sell it as a "GREAT DEAL" to your customers. It's not worth it, trust me...no matter what anyone with over 100 posts replies after me...lol.
Kawliga I think you will find that at this point in time nobody on this board likes this company anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lomithrandel For This Useful Post:
ClutztomerControl (June 23rd, 2009), Mxnl1090 (June 22nd, 2009)
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
IHBB GOD

Thank you for confirming what I've been saying for the last 18+ months.
You've always sounded like a person that was too intelligent to work at BB.
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
Thank you for confirming what I've been saying for the last 18+ months.
You've always sounded like a person that was too intelligent to work at BB.
i think hell just froze over O_o

Unread June 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
IHBB GOD

This Is True!!!...dude...I could tell you sssooo many "FUCKK-BB Stories"...lol
Unread June 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
It can't hurt to attend the interview - just tell him to ask a lot of questions. He should ask what happened to the last person in the position, as well as how the store is performing. It'd suck to inherit a store that may be on the chopping block in 6 months.
this happens a LOT. they start new SMs in stores that are bound to close and are the poorest of the poor in terms of performance.

so yeah, there's no doubt you're husband is probably going to train at a well-doing store for a couple months and then get dropped into one of hell's pits with one bottle of water.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BUYMECAR For This Useful Post:
A good asm (June 24th, 2009), JohnMcClane (June 22nd, 2009), PilotKelson1056 (June 23rd, 2009)