I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread September 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Netflix splitting in two. DVD-by mail service renamed 'Qwikster'

Netflix will now be streaming only, with an entirely seperate website for Dvds called 'Qwikster', which will also start renting video games.

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
Unread September 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM

Netflix to rename and separate DVD by mail service: "Qwikster"

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/20...get-a-new-name

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
Unread September 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM

The article doesn't mention this, but word is Qwikster will be delivering video games by mail as well.

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies, or opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to itirnitii For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (September 19th, 2011)
Unread September 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM
IHBB GOD

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot Head For This Useful Post:
bbemp_can (September 19th, 2011), johnlow71 (September 20th, 2011)
Unread September 19th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Haha, lame. Clearly they are only doing this to protect Netflix stock. Nobody cares if this Qwuicqkskster loses money.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
Unread September 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM

They are clearly looking to solidify removing the DVD rental from their business (and all competitive business), and they don't care what it costs them. I don't think Netflix CEO Hastings even truly cares about the backlash, even if he says he does -- and I don't think Netflix will suffer in the long run for it either when DVD viewing completes it's current evolutionary phase.

Unread September 19th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baby Firefly
http://blog.netflix.com/
Games are mentioned here.
Unread September 20th, 2011, 06:33 AM
IHBB Freak

Reed Hastings needs to talk to Antioco and Keyes about the perils of corporate hubris. Their stock plummeted more than $100 a share and they lost more than one million subscribers in the month following the changes. Customers do not want a split company, with separate queues and billing and charges -- they want it bundled. I congratulate them for having the foresight to create an evolving business model, but if they piss off too many customers then it will all be for naught. Blockbuster has already proven that perpetually changing plans confusing, annoyed and alienates customers... so I thought Netflix would handle it better. That mea culpa letter still smacks of superciliousness and they aren't changing back anything. It basically reads as "We're sorry we pissed you off, but dems the brakes." I still use Netflix by mail and I'm millions of others do too; streaming is clearly the future but it's not going to be on par by next year or possibly the one after -- that's a LONG time for a company to irritating its customer base especially with a non-essential product in the ongoing economic downturn. Hey Reed, good luck with that.
Unread September 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
IHBB Freak

Kings in ivory towers...

The most confusing bit out of all of this is why Netflix wants to get into the video game business NOW?
Unread September 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
Reed Hastings needs to talk to Antioco and Keyes about the perils of corporate hubris. Their stock plummeted more than $100 a share and they lost more than one million subscribers in the month following the changes. Customers do not want a split company, with separate queues and billing and charges -- they want it bundled. I congratulate them for having the foresight to create an evolving business model, but if they piss off too many customers then it will all be for naught. Blockbuster has already proven that perpetually changing plans confusing, annoyed and alienates customers... so I thought Netflix would handle it better. That mea culpa letter still smacks of superciliousness and they aren't changing back anything. It basically reads as "We're sorry we pissed you off, but dems the brakes." I still use Netflix by mail and I'm millions of others do too; streaming is clearly the future but it's not going to be on par by next year or possibly the one after -- that's a LONG time for a company to irritating its customer base especially with a non-essential product in the ongoing economic downturn. Hey Reed, good luck with that.
This makes tons of sense.

It's like Netflix is trying too hard to seize the future of their company while throwing away the present. Streaming will be the future but they are jumping the gun quite a bit, there's still lots of money to be made in DVDs for them. They need to let the evolution of the market happen naturally and then move with it, not force the change upon their customers overnight.