I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread June 18th, 2011, 06:41 AM

This link made me laugh

Well, goodie for the Collingwood staff to go on a party night in a limo. The best is the huge assemblage of senior Managers(most of whom are now unemployed) running the store for the night. Looks like 15 of them (not that I counted). The irony is that the store was undoubtedly normally staffed by 2 at most. Ooooh, so hard for them to change a garbage.

http://www.mycollingwood.ca/Blockbus...f_wins_Big.asp
Unread June 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
Well, goodie for the Collingwood staff to go on a party night in a limo. The best is the huge assemblage of senior Managers(most of whom are now unemployed) running the store for the night. Looks like 15 of them (not that I counted). The irony is that the store was undoubtedly normally staffed by 2 at most. Ooooh, so hard for them to change a garbage.

http://www.mycollingwood.ca/Blockbus...f_wins_Big.asp

Ohh no not the garbage!! LOL LOL LOL Awesome pics!
Unread June 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I always wanted to have Barry Guest work my store for a night so I could yell at him for not hitting his rewards goal.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoffeeCup For This Useful Post:
MamaSmurf (June 18th, 2011)
Unread June 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
I always wanted to have Barry Guest work my store for a night so I could yell at him for not hitting his rewards goal.
Lol. I used to work for Ian P. He was actually a pretty cool manager back in the day. The sad part is once they move into the Ivory Tower, they appear to lose all sense of reality. Things look so much better on paper than in actual practice ... eg. books, toys, various other junk and the waste of time maintaining it.
Unread June 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
Lol. I used to work for Ian P. He was actually a pretty cool manager back in the day. The sad part is once they move into the Ivory Tower, they appear to lose all sense of reality. Things look so much better on paper than in actual practice ... eg. books, toys, various other junk and the waste of time maintaining it.
I only met Ian once, he was a dick. Gave me crap for not having something priced right after admitting that they didn't send a price change report for that movie. This was a few years ago when the stores were actually busy and you didn't have time to just randomly price check things.
Unread June 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM

I think I've only posted once or twice here in my years of visiting, but I've always checked in a few times a month, I guess I'm a super-lurker (hmm, that reads as creepy as it sounds out loud).

I just returned home from my last shift with BBV and I thought a post would be a good footnote on the Blockbuster chapter of my life (hmm, that reads as sad as it sounds out loud). I too worked at one of the many Canadian stores on the chopping block and these final weeks have been one of the most surreal, sad, cathartic, yet exciting periods of my life. My store was only 6 years old but I was there from the start and outlasted many managers who thought they knew better, district managers who thought they knew what was going on in our store without ever actually visiting, and CSRs who shook my belief in our education system. I was the only original left, and though I am/was an SL, I felt more ownership for the store then any SM. I made sure I was there for the last shift, and made double sure I was the one to lock up the store one final time, not my SM.

I'm no BBV flag waver however. I mostly enjoyed seeking out the positives of working there when I could, always trying to avoid the copious amounts of negative dumped on us by corporate. I always knew my time with BBV would come to an end sooner rather then later, I was just surprised that Mr. Sooner showed up when he did.

The point of all this rambling is I, sadly, never participated in this forum, though I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, so I'd like to take the time to say "thank you" to everyone and wish anyone else in my shoes the best of luck (they're a very crowded pair of shoes right now). I mean sure, you can commiserate with other friends in retail, but this was the only place that really gets it, like a secret club that knows how annoying it can be to ask someone for an ID card and have them immediately start dictating their phone number.

So I guess its time for me to look into this whole "life" thing everyone's been talking about and move on. Sure it was tough walking out with all those bare shelves knowing I'll never set foot in there again. It was also tough knowing that the last customer in our store's history was some random guy who was complaining that less than a dollar a disc is still too much to pay for season 3 of Deadwood. The point is, thanks for all the free entertainment over the years everyone. Whenever I get that special tingle on Thursday mornings before realizing there's no new movies to receive anymore, I'll think of you.
Too all the dick employees: Well, if you can't say anything nice....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Good-Will-Bunting For This Useful Post:
AdrianoPavao (June 23rd, 2011), Big Dog (June 24th, 2011), curiousone (June 23rd, 2011), Glass Half Empty (June 23rd, 2011), MamaSmurf (June 23rd, 2011), underemployed (June 23rd, 2011)
Unread June 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM

Has anyone heard anything regarding a purchaser for BB Canada? Is there further closings announced?
The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:
curiousone (June 23rd, 2011)
Unread June 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM

Blockbuster Inc. (BLOAQ) and its Canadian unit will seek mediation to resolve issues such as whether the company in Canada can use the retailer’s trademark, which is claimed by Dish Network Corp. (DISH), the buyer of Blockbuster Inc.’s U.S. assets.

Blockbuster lawyers said today at a hearing in Manhattan that the mediator also would hear the Canadian company’s request for protection from U.S. creditors. Under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, foreign companies can block lawsuits by U.S. creditors while they reorganize in another court.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland adjourned the hearing until July 14. The announcement of the mediator was made after almost two hours of private talks among the lawyers and the judge. Lifland said there were “attempts to resolve the issues” during the talks in chambers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...trademark.html
Unread June 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousone View Post
Blockbuster Inc. (BLOAQ) and its Canadian unit will seek mediation to resolve issues such as whether the company in Canada can use the retailer’s trademark, which is claimed by Dish Network Corp. (DISH), the buyer of Blockbuster Inc.’s U.S. assets.

Blockbuster lawyers said today at a hearing in Manhattan that the mediator also would hear the Canadian company’s request for protection from U.S. creditors. Under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, foreign companies can block lawsuits by U.S. creditors while they reorganize in another court.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland adjourned the hearing until July 14. The announcement of the mediator was made after almost two hours of private talks among the lawyers and the judge. Lifland said there were “attempts to resolve the issues” during the talks in chambers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...trademark.html
The apparently have 9 lives... which is good for the remaining employees who can withstand the stress. I will always cherish the good times and experience I gained working there, but I'm kind of excited to try something new!
Unread July 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Any news on a buyer for Canada or any further closings?