I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread March 21st, 2012, 05:19 AM

Frustrated

Does anyone happen to have the number to HR or whoever can help me?

Basically when I left the company I quit (I thought on good terms) worked a 2 week notice, hell even worked an extra day. Yet a prospective employer claimed that I put I was able to be rehired at Blockbuster on my application, and when they checked references I guess someone at BBV told them I was in the system as not able to be rehired, so they thought I lied on my application

The last time I worked there was in 07, and I had been putting that i was able to be rehired there on all the apps I had filled out, and never had a problem until now.

I'd basically just like to get to the bottom of this since BBV is the bulk of my retail working experience
Unread March 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM
IHBB GOD

Sounds like they person that did the update messed up at the store! We were cleaning house because old employees were still in our system that are not even working O_O. BB was cleaning up house so they and did stress that the SM should be care full while cleaning up house so they can sent it to HR or something to finalized it. They stress SM not to terminate employees if they are in the system still but to leave it to HR to put them as something to my best of knowledge.
Unread March 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM
IHBB GOD

Most employers, Blockbuster included, will only give out your "Dates of Employment" "Job Title" and "Rate of Pay". They do this for fear of lawsuits. That is why store personnel are instructed to refer all requests for references to HR. If what you said is true, AND YOU CAN PROVE IT, you have a very nice lawsuit on your hands.
BBBBUUUTTTT....You have to be able to prove it.

(hint...have a non-stoner friend call for a reference...record EVERYTHING...(check state laws to see if your state is a 1-party or 2-party state)...(GOOGLE that shit)
Unread March 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
IHBB GOD

Never mind...I GOOGLED it for you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telepho...#United_States
Unread March 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM

actually asking if someone is rehireable *is* ok, you just cannot go into why or why not and they'll tell you that if you ask 'why' "Is this person rehireable" "No" "Why" "Unfortunately I cannot give you that information"

which sounds way worse than actually telling them why if you ask me.....
Unread March 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoma View Post
actually asking if someone is rehireable *is* ok, you just cannot go into why or why not and they'll tell you that if you ask 'why' "Is this person rehireable" "No" "Why" "Unfortunately I cannot give you that information"

which sounds way worse than actually telling them why if you ask me.....
Yeah this is what BBV does or at least did when I was there (may have changed now but doesnt look like it)
Unread March 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via Yahoo to URBAN_COWBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
Most employers, Blockbuster included, will only give out your "Dates of Employment" "Job Title" and "Rate of Pay". They do this for fear of lawsuits. That is why store personnel are instructed to refer all requests for references to HR. If what you said is true, AND YOU CAN PROVE IT, you have a very nice lawsuit on your hands.
BBBBUUUTTTT....You have to be able to prove it.

(hint...have a non-stoner friend call for a reference...record EVERYTHING...(check state laws to see if your state is a 1-party or 2-party state)...(GOOGLE that shit)
Not True. As someone stated, you are allowed to ask if that person is rehirable or not and the former employer is allowed to answer that question. They just cannot go into details. Only a simple yes or no.

"Girl, you're making me harder than chinese algebra."-Craig Shoemaker

Cowboy, I'm all yours Always have been, always will! -WrongHeaven

Royal Executioner
Unread March 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM

There is nothing illegal about giving the exact reasons a person is terminated from employment. Most companies have policies that do not allow for those reasons to be given in order to protect themselves from potential lawsuits. However, as long as the information is factual and can be proven, there is nothing wrong for a former employer to give the exact reason a person was terminated.

In other words, to protect yourself, you would only include factual information and not opinions. You wouldn't say you terminated an employee because you perceived them to be dishonest, unless you had a specific instance that could be proven where they were dishonest.

Instead of playing the fine line game, most companies just maintain the policy of only verifying dates of employement and whether or not the company would rehire the person. Also, giving a two weeks notice and leaving a company on your own terms does not guarantee you are rehirable. As long as the company is not chosing to rehire you based on a legally protected reason such as race, religion, etc, you could be deemed not rehirable for any number of reasons.
Unread March 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM

Yeah but the thing is I had actually reapplied to work there again (I think I actually made a topic about it when I did) and got an email about one of those Open House hiring event things which just doesn't add up.
Unread March 22nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post
There is nothing illegal about giving the exact reasons a person is terminated from employment. However, as long as the information is factual and can be proven, there is nothing wrong for a former employer to give the exact reason a person was terminated.

Instead of playing the fine line game, most companies just maintain the policy of only verifying dates of employement and whether or not the company would rehire the person. Also, giving a two weeks notice and leaving a company on your own terms does not guarantee you are rehirable. As long as the company is not chosing to rehire you based on a legally protected reason such as race, religion, etc, you could be deemed not rehirable for any number of reasons.
Paragraph #1 = But 99% of "SMART" companies don't take the risk as the incurred cost of lawyers, travel time, filing costs, etc... they would just rather pay you the measly $10 an hour for a few weeks and get it over with.

Paragraph #2 = "and whether or not the company would rehire the person"... wrong... this is the EXACT point where the company "bails"...they WILL NOT DISCUSS IF YOU ARE/ARE NOT HIRE-ABLE. If they do discuss this, well then you work for a very stupid company...oh... um...nevermind.