I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 27th, 2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
I worked at the company for almost 13 years and not all of this happened at 1 store but all did happen in my district. The pop bottle incident happened at the Miamisburg OH store. This guy was a loon-he thought he and his wife were "vampires." He got transfered to the Centerville OH store while they investigated the pop bottle story and while there he tried to talk one of the 18 year old still in high school csrs into a 3 way with him and his wife before they finally fired him. Hurts my feelings you thought I made any of this up Life is stranger than anything you or I could make up....
Honestly, none of this surprises me with all of the stuff I've heard. Personally, we didn't have things like that at ours but our stores had enough drama to go around lol.
Unread February 28th, 2013, 04:58 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
I worked at the company for almost 13 years and not all of this happened at 1 store but all did happen in my district. The pop bottle incident happened at the Miamisburg OH store. This guy was a loon-he thought he and his wife were "vampires." He got transfered to the Centerville OH store while they investigated the pop bottle story and while there he tried to talk one of the 18 year old still in high school csrs into a 3 way with him and his wife before they finally fired him. Hurts my feelings you thought I made any of this up Life is stranger than anything you or I could make up....
SO true, life is strange and cruel......Sorry I hurt your feelings.
The top Poster!
Unread March 3rd, 2013, 11:45 PM
IHBB Freak

I'm kind of glad this thread is here, it gives a good "I'm back, kind of"-friendly vibe to it.

Obviously, Danny is my real name. I'm from southern Louisiana, and quite honestly, I was always one of those kids described as "brilliant, but lazy"- I originally got hired at BBV in 2006 as a CSR with a freshly-pregnant girlfriend (now wife of six years) and made ASM in three or four months. Left in early 2010. Store was still profitable, but closed down anyway. I'm fuzzy on the details, but my SM went on leave for a broken ankle, came back and...SOMETHING happened that FINALLY set him off, and he quit. BBV decided, for whatever reason, to close the store down rather than replace him. There were 8 BBVs in town when I started, there were two when I left, and now there's one. And it wasn't even the most profitable one. Go figure.

I made a lot of friends I continue to talk to to this day working there, and my former SM is the guy I credit for kicking some sort of work ethic into me- always firm but fair, and a hardworking yet really cool guy. It reflected onto me and I've followed this management style ever since.

As for my personal life...I decided to stop messing around and follow one of my two life's passions-- I always wanted to be a paramedic. Life, however, isn't without a sense of irony. I earned my certification, but to practice as an EMT/Paramedic in the state of LA (and probably elsewhere), you also need to be nationally registered. Unfortunately, around this time, I hurt my lower back terribly. A sullen diagnosis literally a few days after the National Registry reveals the injury I have will pretty much mean I will never, for the rest of my life, work as a paramedic. Back injuries of my nature pretty much remove you from that line of work for life.

On the other hand, my second passion is seeing some fulfillment-- I've always loved playing, writing, and performing music. After having joined a friend's punk band around 2008, I always wanted to do something of my own...and did. I started my own rock band around the middle of last year, and we're already getting radio play, local TV appearances, and playing with bands who've opened for internationally famous acts. We aren't famous or anything, far from it, but we've picked up a HUGE head of steam in just six months.

So...long story short, went back to school, got hurt, can't exercise my certification, but did start a band and manage to make something of it on a local/semi-regional level. Pretty busy elsehow with the wife and kids, and that's about it.

I do have a facebook, but I'll save that for PMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread March 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM

The mask is off......My name is Juan and I worked in the Dumont store for years with that crazy DM Kathi. I have no regrets in working for this company but happy to see it go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lackluster For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (March 16th, 2013)
Unread April 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Haven't been on here in 6 months-sorry to see it shut down. I lurked on here for years before finally adding to the fun. My name is Renee and I worked at 2 stores in Dayton OH area. The first store closed way before the bankruptcy thing so probably 2004 and my second store closed March 2012. I spent almost 13 years at BBV as a csr,sl and asm. I should have left long before that-putting up with idiot SMs who would call me at home to bitch about whatever, having my yearly review be done by the new SM who worked at the store for 1 month-who wanted all ladies gone so he tried to shit can me- when the old SM who worked with me the other 11 months was still with the company, being expected to come in when we had 18 inches of snow and my street was not plowed, having to work and not 1 person would cover for me as I was vomiting into the trash can up front-good times....
A lot of stupid shit went down and believe me most gossip we heard involved sex-employees having sex in the store while it was OPEN, on the desk in the back room and not being smart enough to remember there was a camera back there, sex in the parking lot in front of the store while it was still open. Some idiot even thought it was a good idea to stick a Coke 20oz between the csr's legs-from the back-while she was trying to stock the pop cooler. He thought it needed an encore performance so he called over another employee to watch him do it again. He got transfered and fired finally.
I found most DMs to be idiots lacking any soul and would lie to your face any and every chance they got. I didn't hear about the latest round of closings so I will have to look and see what's going on in my area. Blockbuster in it's day in the Dayton and surrounding suburban areas had roughly 24 stores and after the Feb-Apr 2012 closings they were down to 4.
I haven't found a job yet-been collecting unemployment but that will be over soon. I did try working at a big box store but that was a joke as big as working for BBV so I bolted.
After reading most of your stories over the past few years, I was absolutely convinced we were in the same district, but I'm from Missouri. We were in the same region though, at least after our region office in St. Louis was closed and we joined yours. That's right around when my good DM left and we inherited the idiot that ultimately led me to leave BB. I guess the fact that we had the same RDO explained a lot of the similarities.
Unread April 1st, 2013, 03:57 PM
IHBB GOD

I am at Tmobile now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yodavsjason For This Useful Post:
HelloItsMeMOM (April 2nd, 2013), johnlow71 (April 2nd, 2013)
Unread April 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
IHBB GOD

yeah you are and you should make my april bill disappear
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 2nd, 2013)
Unread April 5th, 2013, 12:01 AM

I'm really sad to see this place go.

My name is Justin, I worked at Blockbuster for 9 1/2 years, to pay for college (I was a part time student). I'm sad to say that for about seven of those I drank the kool-aid and beat the drum, and thought things were going to get better, despite constantly being treated like crap.

Finally it all came to a head when I had broken my foot and was out on disability leave right after being accused of a bunch of shit and made to feel like a criminal during a loss-prevention investigation over a bad inventory at my store, where they mind fucked me and made me miserable, and then at the end they were really nice once the sadistic fuckers realized I didn't steal anything, and said that I should go home and let my foot heal.

After that I decided I'd had enough of being blamed by corporate for the company failing. I didn't quit, but I stopped caring about the company or how well it was doing. I showed up, did what was required, and went home. I was still good at my job, I just didn't stress out over it anymore.

Anyway, I was in California on vacation location scouting for a short film I was going to make, and I got a text from my store manager from the third store I'd been shuffled to that the store was closing and I was being laid off (in 2011, after we'd been bought by Dish).

To be honest I didn't really care, although I was bummed about suddenly not having the money, haha. But leaving Blockbuster was the best thing that ever happened to me because it freed me up to do the things that I loved.

Just yesterday I was thinking about how much I had stressed over selling Movie Passes, and Total Access, and Game Pass, and of course Blockbuster Rewards, and how ultimately none of that mattered at all.

Sometimes I wonder how the asshole DMs who acted like Blockbuster was the most important thing in the world feel about all of that. Part of me hopes they feel like a big part of their lives had no meaning, haha. But to be honest I just hope they realize that they were being dicks for no reason.

I'm sure that was all TL;DR, so to end on a classy note I had sex with two coworkers (one is currently my girlfriend) and one customer haha.

If you're interested, here's a link to the facebook page for my movie I was scouting for when I heard my final store was closing: https://www.facebook.com/SixgunsBlazing

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlockbusterLuvsU For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 5th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (April 6th, 2013), inkedangel (April 5th, 2013)
Unread April 5th, 2013, 02:42 AM
IHBB GOD

cool thanks, man feel bad you stressed about those things. I stop caring or stressing about how many sales I got moons ago after I relized you hit goal boom numbers get higher and unattainable. don't get me wrong I put the effort but I knew it wasn't life or death as it was doomed to internet shopping anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnlow71 For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (April 5th, 2013), HelloItsMeMOM (April 6th, 2013), inkedangel (April 5th, 2013)
Unread April 5th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlow71 View Post
cool thanks, man feel bad you stressed about those things. I stop caring or stressing about how many sales I got moons ago after I relized you hit goal boom numbers get higher and unattainable. don't get me wrong I put the effort but I knew it wasn't life or death as it was doomed to internet shopping anyway.
Yeah I was always good at sales without really trying just because I asked, but man when the pressure was really on I would really lay it on to make sure I hit or exceeded my goals and I would stress out over not being able to get a game presale, or whatever.

Eventually when I stopped giving a shit about Blockbuster and actually realized that the company was running itself into the ground even faster than they were losing relevance, I would just say "hey you can preorder this game," and if the customer said no I would just leave it at that and not worry about it at all.

It made things a lot better, but I still had to listen to the DM hassling all of us over it so that was still irritating. I just didn't care anymore what he had to say, haha.

Anyway, I'm so glad that is all behind me.

Disclaimer: The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Blockbuster's or Dish Network's positions, strategies or opinions, because they are all a bunch of dickless idiots.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlockbusterLuvsU For This Useful Post:
HelloItsMeMOM (April 6th, 2013)