I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 16th, 2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWLIGA View Post
How many more stores will close/people lose their jobs after D I S H gets their 1st-Quarter results?
I would answer this so the ones who believe in "Blockbuster Forever" could understand what the hell some of us are going through....Unfortunately at this time I can't answer it. I enjoy my job, my staff and the dedicated customers are what made the difference for me. If anyone thinks stores will be around after the end of the year, you seriously need a good smack to the face.......with a chair. That is about all I can say at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fireyjewels For This Useful Post:
D Money (February 16th, 2012), Glass Half Empty (February 16th, 2012)
Unread February 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM

I think Blockbuster through Dish is going to slowly but surely rebrand itself. They are loosing money with basically giving rentals away for free and trying to profit from confections and merchandise that either they can find for a better price or somewhere for a better selection. I dont know how that would work to have a repair service center inside a blockbuster store.
Unread February 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireyjewels View Post
I would answer this so the ones who believe in "Blockbuster Forever" could understand what the hell some of us are going through....Unfortunately at this time I can't answer it. I enjoy my job, my staff and the dedicated customers are what made the difference for me. If anyone thinks stores will be around after the end of the year, you seriously need a good smack to the face.......with a chair. That is about all I can say at this point.
I'll take that wager. Stores will be around at the end of the year. I am not making any claims to how many, but it will be triple digits. And I'll be happy to put my money where my mouth is. Private message me if you believe so strongly in your statement.

Again I'd elaborate further, but I am under certain restrictions that limit what I can say, and for most on here I'd only be wasting my time anyway.
Unread February 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM

If Blockbuster's remaining store locations that are profitable aren't even THAT profitable, and if it is already widely acknowledged that Blockbuster's business model is fiscally unsustainable for the long-term, then what's the point in Dish keeping even 100-200 store locations open?

Is it all for the sake of Dish being able to say, "We're bound and determined to keep some stores open, even if it's just a few of them?"

Is it really worth it to Dish to make maybe a couple million dollars per year off of however many Blockbuster stores they can find an excuse to keep operating?

It's almost as if they're too embarrassed to admit that maybe, just maybe, buying the stores was a mistake, and so they're forcibly planning to keep open at least a few stores just because they're convinced that "it's all gonna come back to the 'store model' in a couple of years -- all this streaming crap is just a fad!"

I do have a question, however. For the stores that Dish plans to continue operating into 2013 (and beyond?), are they going to be hybrid Blockbuster/Dish repair centers, or are they going to be traditional Blockbuster stores?

I just don't see what the point is. Wouldn't they make more money by liquidating the stores and putting a chunk of those profits towards ensuring the success of whatever streaming venture they're pursuing?
Unread February 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
IHBB GOD

there will definetly be stores left by end of year, i know cause ill be at 1 of them ...
Unread February 17th, 2012, 03:58 AM
IHBB GOD

I used to have a video store and a screen printing company in the same building. They had nothing in common except I owned one, the ex owned the other. it actually worked quite well for us. The video store was busy in the winter, the screen printing in the summer. It worked to share the employees as well.

The point is things can work well together you just have to sit and think about it, make a plan and follow it.