I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Other Stuff (Off Topic) > Game Talk

Unread June 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM
IHBB Freak

A Conundrum

I am a self-admitted collector.

I have in my possession over 100 Nintendo games, over 100 Super Nintendo games, over 50 Sega Genesis games, several Nintendo 64 games, several games for every iteration of Playstation, from original all the way up to PS3, but one thing I've never owned is any Microsoft console. No Xbox, nor Xbox 360. And, in fact, I'd been wary of giving the 360 a try, because I've heard from several people that have gone through two, three, FOUR fucking 360s due to the Red Ring of Death. Nevertheless, I still love the old classics on Nintendo and such, and my wife does nothing to dissuade that, and in fact actually encourages it. Long story short, I have quite the collection.

Fast forward to a few days ago. A friend of mine and I were getting sauced on the alcohol when he mentions that he traded all of his old school stuff in and had enough not only to get a 360 but a few games as well. He is also a collector, but his wife is not as indulgent as mine is, Therefore, his decision was easy-- trade in all the old crap for the new crap, and he in fact knew that, since my collection was scads larger, I could do something similar and in fact encourages me to do so.

So this brings me to my conundrum- should I? My wife feels that I'm going to regret it, as I love actually having physical copies of all this shit, but in the meantime, emulation has made it retardedly easy to have all the games I do, plus tons I don't (not that I condone that sort of thing, ahem) accessible through a few easy clicks. So the issue is that I won't be able to PLAY the games, more like I will just no longer have a physical copy of any of them. To make my wife help me make a more objective decision, I compared it to CDs... I had a metric asston of CDs (again, I like having the physical thing, the booklet, liner notes, etc) and I got rid of most of them to strictly burn them or keep them on an iPod. Never regretted it, since I still had access to all the same music, and I feel I could view the old games similarly.

Is it worth it? I'm not a fanboy, I feel I could enjoy an Xbox 360 as much as a PS3, I would still have all the same old ass games I did before...

Is it worth it? Is Red Ring Of Death still a viable concern? Should I not be so hasty as to part with my old games just to get a device that will brick on me two years from now? Are there enough exclusives to justify another console?

Help a brotha out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny
If I want the experience of being in the store, let me have it on my own fucking terms.
Unread June 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM
IHBB GOD

Send a message via AIM to AbandonedDreams
My husband went through I think 4 Xboxes before we met due to red rings. Once the one he had went up and he was going to buy a new one, I forced him to spend the 50 bucks more to buy brand new instead of used. No issues in 3 or 4 years, and he plays almost daily. I believe they corrected the ring issue with the newer models, so if you don't buy used, you should be fine.

I still have my super nintendo and all the games I played as a kid. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them because I like having all of it, and hopefully one day my kids will play it.

Anyway, my opinion on this matter is keep your old stuff and if you decide you really want an Xbox, save up for it.
Unread June 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
IHBB GOD

They redesigned mother board and heat sink placement with 360 just don't be a retard and put it upright with the fuxking hot air being trapped between Xbox and table. A lot of fuck ups are responsible for this and this gave red ring 90% of time other retards do not store game to hard drive which causes premature failure. Store everything to hard drive. You aren't retarded so you should be good. BTW ps3 gets yellow ring of death...

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread June 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbydanny View Post
I am a self-admitted collector.

I have in my possession over 100 Nintendo games, over 100 Super Nintendo games, over 50 Sega Genesis games, several Nintendo 64 games, several games for every iteration of Playstation, from original all the way up to PS3, but one thing I've never owned is any Microsoft console. No Xbox, nor Xbox 360. And, in fact, I'd been wary of giving the 360 a try, because I've heard from several people that have gone through two, three, FOUR fucking 360s due to the Red Ring of Death. Nevertheless, I still love the old classics on Nintendo and such, and my wife does nothing to dissuade that, and in fact actually encourages it. Long story short, I have quite the collection.

Fast forward to a few days ago. A friend of mine and I were getting sauced on the alcohol when he mentions that he traded all of his old school stuff in and had enough not only to get a 360 but a few games as well. He is also a collector, but his wife is not as indulgent as mine is, Therefore, his decision was easy-- trade in all the old crap for the new crap, and he in fact knew that, since my collection was scads larger, I could do something similar and in fact encourages me to do so.

So this brings me to my conundrum- should I? My wife feels that I'm going to regret it, as I love actually having physical copies of all this shit, but in the meantime, emulation has made it retardedly easy to have all the games I do, plus tons I don't (not that I condone that sort of thing, ahem) accessible through a few easy clicks. So the issue is that I won't be able to PLAY the games, more like I will just no longer have a physical copy of any of them. To make my wife help me make a more objective decision, I compared it to CDs... I had a metric asston of CDs (again, I like having the physical thing, the booklet, liner notes, etc) and I got rid of most of them to strictly burn them or keep them on an iPod. Never regretted it, since I still had access to all the same music, and I feel I could view the old games similarly.

Is it worth it? I'm not a fanboy, I feel I could enjoy an Xbox 360 as much as a PS3, I would still have all the same old ass games I did before...

Is it worth it? Is Red Ring Of Death still a viable concern? Should I not be so hasty as to part with my old games just to get a device that will brick on me two years from now? Are there enough exclusives to justify another console?

Help a brotha out here.

you left out atari! but impressive indeed.
Unread June 15th, 2011, 08:19 AM
IHBB GOD

and as for the problem at hand, i say dump some old stuff, in the end its just stuff
Unread June 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM
IHBB GOD

Yeah get rid of it, and in a year or two you can start collecting the same stuff again.

P.S. ps3 sucks.
Unread June 15th, 2011, 08:58 PM
IHBB GOD

Losing that collection just to get a 360 would be a major bummer. You have a PS3. That means you've got a more reliable piece of hardware that has free networking and a BD player built in. What are you going to get with a 360 that you don't have already? If you say "x and y games that are exclusive to Xbox", then basically what you're saying is you're trading in your collection to get a few games. Don't do that.

If you think you've gone as far as you can with the PS3, then just wait a year and trade in for a WiiU, which will do everything the current systems do and more. Or get something you need. Or something for the wife.
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
Unread June 16th, 2011, 02:46 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
Losing that collection just to get a 360 would be a major bummer. You have a PS3. That means you've got a more reliable piece of hardware that has free networking and a BD player built in. What are you going to get with a 360 that you don't have already? If you say "x and y games that are exclusive to Xbox", then basically what you're saying is you're trading in your collection to get a few games. Don't do that.

If you think you've gone as far as you can with the PS3, then just wait a year and trade in for a WiiU, which will do everything the current systems do and more. Or get something you need. Or something for the wife.
Ps3 sucks how has your multiplayer been? O wait...

Even the Devil, which is the main share holder of blockbuster is saying you guys are making me look bad!

Horse Power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Unread June 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
IHBB GOD

You mean the multiplayer I've never paid a cent for? It's worked perfectly for 98% of its existence.

There are valid reasons why a person would buy a 360 if they didn't already have a PS3. If they did have a PS3, why would they forfeit a lifetime's amassing of classic games for a console that is, for all intents and purposes, the same as what they've already got?
It drops the movie in the bin or else it gets the fee again.
PUT THE FUCKING MOVIE IN THE FUCKING BASKET.
The Following User Says Thank You to Antithesys For This Useful Post:
AbandonedDreams (June 16th, 2011)
Unread June 16th, 2011, 06:33 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesys View Post
You mean the multiplayer I've never paid a cent for? It's worked perfectly for 98% of its existence.

There are valid reasons why a person would buy a 360 if they didn't already have a PS3. If they did have a PS3, why would they forfeit a lifetime's amassing of classic games for a console that is, for all intents and purposes, the same as what they've already got?
Microsoft had bigger bank roll, granted some game I would kill for a ps3 for but unless I am NASA I see it as junk, what is the specs on it? Single core? 2.0 ghz...x360 3 core 3.0 ghz? The only reason NASA uses it is because it is cheap and open ended. Think of x360 is windows or apple ps3 is Linux