I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread February 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM

Dish's Plan

Straight from the earnings conference call....

Now let's spend a minute updating you all on our Blockbuster segment. For the third straight quarter, the overall business was breakeven. For the third quarter, the overall business came in very close to what we had expected. And we have been very clear from the beginning that we would take action when necessary. As a result, the first quarter, we will close roughly 500 domestic stores for a variety of reasons, such as underperformance, footprint size or lack of landlord flexibility. The vast majority of these stores have flexible termination provisions. Now our goal is to reach a steady-state store count so that we can leverage with our current pay-TV business and our future wireless enterprise similar to the way that we've incorporated Blockbuster at homes by mail and streaming services into our pay-TV business.

Bash away, but stores will still be around at the end of this year and even next year. I personally believe if they are able to get into the wireless like they are planning, stores will become invaluable and they may even attempt to regrow the brand based on that success. Now if the FCC does not approve their waivers and they are unable to get into the wireless business, who knows what may happen. They could possibly just sell the entire Dish company.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BBStoreMgr112233 For This Useful Post:
DavidNewlySL (February 24th, 2012), johnlow71 (February 24th, 2012), MaximusX7 (February 23rd, 2012)
Unread February 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
IHBB GOD

Yup, Blockbuster and Dish into one store. It was their goal all along because Dish never had stores to begin with and for them to see how they change the old business model into a new one. Well, lets just say, the chosen Blockbuster's can change a lot. Now with that said, how much space will Dish take in the store? Should Blockbuster just dump the BSI section out and put the new Dish stuff?
Unread February 23rd, 2012, 10:03 PM

Good deal.
They closed down a store that was selling dish....we got their couch....win-win
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaximusX7 For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (February 24th, 2012), inkedangel (February 25th, 2012)
Unread February 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM

I want a dish couch
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkusAurelias For This Useful Post:
johnlow71 (February 28th, 2012)
Unread February 24th, 2012, 05:59 AM
IHBB Freak

The video rental business is still in death throws. Selling Sat TV and Wireless service? You should all just go work for Verizon or AT&T. They pay more.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClutztomerControl For This Useful Post:
D Money (February 25th, 2012)
Unread February 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutztomerControl View Post
The video rental business is still in death throws. Selling Sat TV and Wireless service? You should all just go work for Verizon or AT&T. They pay more.
I wouldn't say that, you just have to research the market you are putting them in. I just opened my second store and both are doing well with rentals. Adapt to the times and add a side business for when releases are weak. I have tanning added to the rentals in my stores and it compliments the overall revenue of the store. I'm even thinking of adding Sprint or AT&T to the store if this is low investment with good commission sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 25th, 2012)
Unread February 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
I wouldn't say that, you just have to research the market you are putting them in. I just opened my second store and both are doing well with rentals. Adapt to the times and add a side business for when releases are weak. I have tanning added to the rentals in my stores and it compliments the overall revenue of the store. I'm even thinking of adding Sprint or AT&T to the store if this is low investment with good commission sales.
tanning salon?
Unread February 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBStoreMgr112233 View Post
Straight from the earnings conference call....

Now let's spend a minute updating you all on our Blockbuster segment. For the third straight quarter, the overall business was breakeven. For the third quarter, the overall business came in very close to what we had expected. And we have been very clear from the beginning that we would take action when necessary. As a result, the first quarter, we will close roughly 500 domestic stores for a variety of reasons, such as underperformance, footprint size or lack of landlord flexibility. The vast majority of these stores have flexible termination provisions. Now our goal is to reach a steady-state store count so that we can leverage with our current pay-TV business and our future wireless enterprise similar to the way that we've incorporated Blockbuster at homes by mail and streaming services into our pay-TV business.

Bash away, but stores will still be around at the end of this year and even next year. I personally believe if they are able to get into the wireless like they are planning, stores will become invaluable and they may even attempt to regrow the brand based on that success. Now if the FCC does not approve their waivers and they are unable to get into the wireless business, who knows what may happen. They could possibly just sell the entire Dish company.

Saying and doing are two different things. We'll see...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orbitdvd For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (February 24th, 2012), inkedangel (February 25th, 2012)
Unread February 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblade View Post
tanning salon?
Yes, It works well together. After 4th quarter, when the rentals start dying down in the 1st and 2nd quarter. Tanning season usually starts the first of Feb. and lasts til July. Of coarse you have your year round tanners, which is a nice bit of revenue.

Although, since Family Video left town, I've seen a nice increase in my dvd rentals.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
inkedangel (February 25th, 2012)
Unread February 28th, 2012, 05:32 AM

It's all nice and good but if you leave 1 store for roughly 150,000 people as they did in my neck of the woods and don't signifigantly bump up it's buys-8 copies of J. Edgar, 12 Drives and they didn't get Take Shelter- then Dish is shooting itself in the foot. I set up an account at this store so I can rent until my store closes and THERE IS NEVER ANY BLUE CARPET SELECTIONS TO RENT!!! So if you don't close a store but don't support it either you are effectively killing the store. Just my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glass Half Empty For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (February 28th, 2012), inkedangel (February 28th, 2012), johnlow71 (February 28th, 2012)