I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

Unread August 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM

In my evil mind- If my DM asked me to "volunteer" in the local community to spread the word about Blockbuster, I'd go to every vile gathering I could find in the community (think "hate group" rallies and the like) and distribute the material promoting Blockbuster to them. Although even with that, I'd probably still end up getting a pat on the back from my DM and the front-cover shot in the next "The Ticket" magazine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PickleBundle For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 5th, 2011), muthaflippin (August 8th, 2011)
Unread August 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM
IHBB Freak

I'm honestly not sure how to handle this. It's a twice per period requirement. I don't want to get fired for not volunteering (or whatever BS reason they'd come up with to avoid firing me for that particular one.) But I also refuse to do this simply out of the goodness of my heart. I have none.

But also, I don't have the labor to cover "volunteer" work for other employees. That'll leave my store understaffed, or leave important projects left undone, which can also negatively affect our customers.

Lose-lose.
Baby Firefly (August 6th, 2011), inkedangel (August 7th, 2011)
Unread August 6th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propoxy View Post
I'm honestly not sure how to handle this. It's a twice per period requirement. I don't want to get fired for not volunteering (or whatever BS reason they'd come up with to avoid firing me for that particular one.) But I also refuse to do this simply out of the goodness of my heart. I have none.

But also, I don't have the labor to cover "volunteer" work for other employees. That'll leave my store understaffed, or leave important projects left undone, which can also negatively affect our customers.

Lose-lose.
If you don't want to volunteer, then don't. They cannot force you to "volunteer" (forced volunteer is kind of an oxymoron don't ya think?). I can assure you that they will indeed come up with any BS reason if they want to get rid of you. If you have people that want to volunteer, I say let them and be short staffed for a few weekends and be sure to let the customers know where to complain for the lack of adequate staffing. When the DM comes to you with the complaints, you can simply tell him that your staff was out volunteering, just as he requested.
Unread August 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
IHBB Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleBundle View Post
In my evil mind- If my DM asked me to "volunteer" in the local community to spread the word about Blockbuster, I'd go to every vile gathering I could find in the community (think "hate group" rallies and the like) and distribute the material promoting Blockbuster to them. Although even with that, I'd probably still end up getting a pat on the back from my DM and the front-cover shot in the next "The Ticket" magazine.
I suggest "kleptomaniacs anonymous".
Unread August 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruka_Salt View Post
I suggest "kleptomaniacs anonymous".
A friend went to one of those meetings, it was full of cops
The top Poster!
Unread August 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM
IHBB GOD

I they want to fire you they will, they will find a reason. Ask ZOO or any other of the hard working Ex-employees, who used to bust their ass and defend this hell hole until they themselves were fucked up the A.
Unread August 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
IHBB Freak

Are other employees of the Dish Network "encouraged" to volunteer?
Unread August 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitdvd View Post
Are other employees of the Dish Network "encouraged" to volunteer?
Nope. They're doing fine. Its Blockbuster that has to worry
Unread August 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM

So my district had a conference call this week and this is how I heard the "volunteering" subject went down:
1. We must !!!MANDATORY!!! have an event that we go to -outside of BBV-that we promote BBV with the ultimate goal of raising our customer base.
2. 5 hours of labor are allotted for each store for this event.
3. Sporting events, fairs, festivals were all mentioned-not allowed to do anything at churches!!!
4. Event must happen before end of August.
We were also told we HAD to have 2 store events every month- trivia, dressing up, contests?- funny since we can't even give out a free rental as a prize Sorry, I'm not wearing pjs to work-I'm not in middle school! Oh,and the "let's not press people into buying stuff-let's just get them to come back into the store and give them great customer service phase" is OVER. We're back to the shit load list of priorities and how we must meet the priorites and meet revenue goals or you're toast.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glass Half Empty For This Useful Post:
Baby Firefly (August 9th, 2011), Darkfall28 (August 7th, 2011)
Unread August 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
IHBB GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
So my district had a conference call this week and this is how I heard the "volunteering" subject went down:
1. We must !!!MANDATORY!!! have an event that we go to -outside of BBV-that we promote BBV with the ultimate goal of raising our customer base.
2. 5 hours of labor are allotted for each store for this event.
3. Sporting events, fairs, festivals were all mentioned-not allowed to do anything at churches!!!
4. Event must happen before end of August.
We were also told we HAD to have 2 store events every month- trivia, dressing up, contests?- funny since we can't even give out a free rental as a prize Sorry, I'm not wearing pjs to work-I'm not in middle school! Oh,and the "let's not press people into buying stuff-let's just get them to come back into the store and give them great customer service phase" is OVER. We're back to the shit load list of priorities and how we must meet the priorites and meet revenue goals or you're toast.....

But you can still back out and say "I was giving the best customer service! I was fulfilling the customers needs and still offer them the upsell" Forcing sells isn't going to help customers. Its going to make them stop coming for many reason. And then blockbuster will be in the same spot again...Bankrupt

If blockbuster wants to go to the sells department, then they should just give commission for each time we sell stuff. Of course having sells people working at a video store doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A video store should have employees that love watching movies and recommend them to people. For the movie lovers that rent a lot, then its necessary to offer them an upgrade pass or rewards system.

But I haven't heard any sells pressure yet. I don't think the goals will go high and people are going to go crazy unless the SM is insane.