I Hate Blockbuster Forum  

Go Back   I Hate Blockbuster Forum > Lovers of Blockbuster > Are You An Employee Of Blockbuster?

View Poll Results: Do i have grounds for a wrongful termination suit (friend of the family is a lawyer)?
yes 1 5.26%
no 18 94.74%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM

being "let go"

So as of today i am no longer a blockbuster employee

I was "let go" because i let my store know that i could only work 2 days a week rather than my massive 3 days a week as a shift lead

my store manager told me that she was told to tell me (by our DM) that they couldn't afford to keep me on the books for just that amount of time worked, now how my 17 hours this week would be much different than working my possible maximum of 16 hours next week (2 8 hours shifts) but none the less

I let them know that i had to scale back to the 2 days because i found another job and was working 40 hours a week there

now in the past 6 months i was forced to drive all over the metro area here and cover at different stores so i could get hours
told by my DM and store manager that i HAD to make a games and movie folder to inform customers of what the upcoming releases are.
off the clock of course.

am i wrong to think that there really is no cause for termination here?
i mean i know my mistake was telling them about the other job anyways but i thought i would give them the courtesy of that, and now after 4 years i'm let go

and to top it off, i don't have a car right now and had to walk 3 miles home and then receive a call from my store manager saying "i misunderstood _____ (the DM's name there) and that you can finish out the week" now she expected me to walk back up to the store to finish out the shift...
Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theocckeeper View Post
So as of today i am no longer a blockbuster employee

I was "let go" because i let my store know that i could only work 2 days a week rather than my massive 3 days a week as a shift lead

my store manager told me that she was told to tell me (by our DM) that they couldn't afford to keep me on the books for just that amount of time worked, now how my 17 hours this week would be much different than working my possible maximum of 16 hours next week (2 8 hours shifts) but none the less

I let them know that i had to scale back to the 2 days because i found another job and was working 40 hours a week there

now in the past 6 months i was forced to drive all over the metro area here and cover at different stores so i could get hours
told by my DM and store manager that i HAD to make a games and movie folder to inform customers of what the upcoming releases are.
off the clock of course.

am i wrong to think that there really is no cause for termination here?
i mean i know my mistake was telling them about the other job anyways but i thought i would give them the courtesy of that, and now after 4 years i'm let go

and to top it off, i don't have a car right now and had to walk 3 miles home and then receive a call from my store manager saying "i misunderstood _____ (the DM's name there) and that you can finish out the week" now she expected me to walk back up to the store to finish out the shift...
You've got another job? I would laugh at them if they called me and said that.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Also, no, you don't have the grounds for a wrongful termination suit. If your availibility doesn't meet their requirements, they can let you go.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM

The cause for termination is that you changed your availability to something that the company doesn't like. Whether or not you like it and whether or not it's "right" doesn't matter. They can still do that.

Not sure what having to drive all over has to do with anything. Someone telling you that you have to work off the clock is bad, but that seems like something unrelated, it's hard to prove, and not much can be done about it, especially if you refused.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM

well the thing is, i never changed my availability, i'm a store manager at my other job so i make the schedule, i was just attempting to keep myself sane and work 2 jobs
Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
IHBB GOD

this has happened a few times in my district in the past few months. all of them: asm's or sl's. that availability requirement stands for everyone except csr's.

that being said, what's the problem? you have a full-time job now. go you.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM

basically, yes the money is great at my new job, but working the 2nd job would help pay for my gas and stuff, and frankly i enjoyed working there when the SM wasn't being a bitch, i just feel like that was just such an unprofessional way to handle that
Unread October 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM

i think its pretty messed up since you helped them out so much... and they are right about your availabilty, but you would think that they wouldnt want the turn over?? but if you have another job... who cares!! get away while you can!
Unread October 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
IHBB GOD

"See ya later Blockbuster" should be the next words out of your mouth. You were terminated and should NOT go in for any more shifts. That's just ridiculous.
Unread October 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM

agree'd i don't plan on it, only thing i'm going in there for is my damn check